Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in New Zealand and just took delivery of my model S about a month ago. I am having trouble understanding how to setup Homelink and Tesla here say that Homelink is not supported in Australia or New Zealand and so they know nothing about it and cannot help me.
I have configured the software to send out the correct signal to open the gate, however my problem is this:
I live on a street that runs both ways past my automatic gate and the antenna to receive the signal is on the fence on the street.
My question is:
  1. Do I set the location when stopped next to the antenna and ask the software to send the signal when 30 metres away from the antenna in any direction?
    or
  2. Do I stop the car 30 metres from the antenna and ask the software to send the signal from there?
The second option does not seem sensible because if it is true than I would have to define two different gates, one for each direction I am coming home in.

I have contacted the Homelink people and they have not been able to clarify this for me. (The person who answered obviously did not have English as his native language, so he didn't manage to understand my question and I couldn't understand his answer.) However he seemed to imply the second of the two options.

Has anyone out there got Homelink to open a gate when approaching from either direction on the street?

Thank you for your help.
Martin.
[email protected]

Hi Martin

I'm also from New Zealand and took delivery of Model S 75 this month. I too have issues with Homelink - I can't get it to work at all. Tesla also told me it is not configured to work in NZ yet but that some people have managed it?? I too have a gate and a garage door.

How did you get the software to send the correct signal? I have tried both options - universal and the default.

Thanks
Alan

Hi Alan,
I have managed to get it working, at least from one direction, but not very well from the other. The problem I have is that I live on a very busy road and it is not easy to try different things and see what works.
By the way I made the salesman demonstrate it on my gate before I bought the car and said I would only by the car provided it worked.
Unfortunately the problem I am having now is where to set the signal.
You have my email address, so I am happy to meet sometime to see if I can help get it working. (I was in Hawaii when you first sent the message, hence the delay in replying.)
Regards,
Martin.