Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my email this morning stating they got the deposit. If they can just get some info on the signature series (options, timeline) I MIGHT be willing to take the plunge.

I also hope they don't pull with they did with the pricing on the roadsters... I can understand things changing, but there should be better planning and pricing from the jump.

Like AnOutsider, I MIGHT upgrade to the Signature Series if I could figure out what's being offered that regular depositors can't get.

You'd think the eighty million (2000 Signature Series x $40,000) in funds would motivate Tesla to let us know.

I have to believe that Tesla doesn't know yet. Or Tesla believes they can sell all the Signature series by offering little more than earlier delivery.

Earlier delivery isn't enough of a motivator for me. We've learned from the Roadster that sometimes those that wait get an improved product.

Last edited:
Earlier delivery isn't enough of a motivator for me. We've learned from the Roadster that sometimes those that wait get an improved product.

Excellent point. Perhaps early delivery and free upgrades? If the interior is drastically updated, can we get the same? Performance tweaks (i.e. Roaster Sport)? Probably not since this is a fledgling company, but I'm less of a "brand whore" (as evidenced by me buying a brand no one really knows) and more of a tech junky, so I'd prefer the later tweaks over the 1/1000 badging

Some comments I have heard from Tesla employees indicate that they themselves do not yet know everything they will offer on the Signature Series. My guess is they will announce it when they do know it if the Series is still not sold out at that point.

I got that distinct impression as well on the April 1 preview. They simply do not know yet. They will be publishing that info as soon as they have it was what I was told. They definately do not seem to be holding any information back intentionally as far as I can see.

I called the sales person who confirmed my deposit a few weeks ago. While she was vague be necessity, she said that the Signature series would be fully loaded and have a combination of options that could not be reproduced exactly with the production model (although I assume almost everything can still be added). She also mentioned that it would have a slightly upgraded interior. Of course this is all so preliminary, who really knows I guess. Would still be nice to know a little more detail.

With the Roadster Signature series it just had some extra badging around the interior. It was fully loaded with every option. But I think that fully loaded policy continued until VIN #210.

Then later they came up with more options that were never even available on the first several hundred.

So a fully loaded Signature 1,000 in 2011 might actually be missing some cool options that come out in 2012.

So a fully loaded Signature 1,000 in 2011 might actually be missing some cool options that come out in 2012.

Yeah. I'm sure I'll be saying in 2012 "I wish I could have that feature" but I guess that's the price of early adoption. Hopefully it's not something too major or maybe the older cars can be upgraded? I think things may play out differently for the Model S than it sounds like the Roadster did since they have a little more experience now but you never know.

Just concept?

So do we have any understanding on just how much of the final production Model S will resemble the prototype vehicle we've all been seeing?

I read somewhere that it's estimated at only 50% of the current prototype will be visible in the final product! Any ideas? Thoughts?

The impression I'm getting is that the rush of Model S owners has them overwhelmed.

There are nearly more Model S depositers than Tesla owners/depositers, the car does not cost as much and therefore is a different type of client and they use a lot of Tesla's phone and internet time asking questions that are long from being worked out (as we have seen here). The tough part is since the company is small, people think that the workers are is more accessible than at a large faceless one. The problem is, with a small staff they are all working 3 jobs each.

In the stores imagine Model S depositors coming in, chatting up the sales people, asking a lot of questions that anyone would with only a picture in front of them -since there is only the one working prototype. Of course it's great to make the Model S sale if they had not already done so on the internet (wonder how many Model S sales actually happen in the showrooms? Anyone here do that?) And then before they leave, they want a Roadster ride. It's got be tough to sell a $50K car when your only car to show is a $100K car.

I think with only $5K down it's not a lot of value for a tiny company to spend time on the 1000 questions from a 1000 depositors. The Roadster owners got little feedback and waited a long time and got a great product. I agree with letting them focus on that again this time.

I think that considering the target for the Model-S, (which to me appears to be the average family) they should have waited until they had all the questions considered before making any announcements.

If they had done that though, they might have missed the chance for the DOE loans, which would have further delayed Model S (maybe infinitely until the economy recovered and they can get more private funding).

That said, hopefully they lock down on the factory soon at least and come up with some more prototypes like they did for the Roadster.

The impression I'm getting is that the rush of Model S owners has them overwhelmed.

There are nearly more Model S depositers than Tesla owners/depositers, the car does not cost as much and therefore is a different type of client and they use a lot of Tesla's phone and internet time asking questions that are long from being worked out (as we have seen here). The tough part is since the company is small, people think that the workers are is more accessible than at a large faceless one. The problem is, with a small staff they are all working 3 jobs each.

In the stores imagine Model S depositors coming in, chatting up the sales people, asking a lot of questions that anyone would with only a picture in front of them -since there is only the one working prototype. Of course it's great to make the Model S sale if they had not already done so on the internet (wonder how many Model S sales actually happen in the showrooms? Anyone here do that?) And then before they leave, they want a Roadster ride. It's got be tough to sell a $50K car when your only car to show is a $100K car.

I think with only $5K down it's not a lot of value for a tiny company to spend time on the 1000 questions from a 1000 depositors. The Roadster owners got little feedback and waited a long time and got a great product. I agree with letting them focus on that again this time.

@the bolded bit: AHA! Finally my pet peeve about people calling Roadsters "Teslas" has a real world example! See how confusing that sentence reads? From now on, it's a Roadster not a Tesla mmkay?

I agree with the overall post though. Catch 22, don't want to add extra staff and become bloated. Guess they'll have to grin and bear it. Of course they could also work up brochures or a minisite that's easily updated with all the answers to common questions.