Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Programming key card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for reviving an old-ish thread, but my follow up question seems on topic/related:

Can a keycard be reprogrammed multiple times, for different vehicles? I am renting a Tesla with Hertz soon and would like to have a second key card (and also one that isn’t in a big plastic protective case, as the one provided by Hertz supposedly is). I have my own keycards for my MY, of course, but since I suspect I will rent Teslas more often going forward I was thinking I might just order a spare card to be used with rentals.

Upvote 0
Sorry for reviving an old-ish thread, but my follow up question seems on topic/related:

Can a keycard be reprogrammed multiple times, for different vehicles? I am renting a Tesla with Hertz soon and would like to have a second key card (and also one that isn’t in a big plastic protective case, as the one provided by Hertz supposedly is). I have my own keycards for my MY, of course, but since I suspect I will rent Teslas more often going forward I was thinking I might just order a spare card to be used with rentals.

I am not sure how many vehicles at once you can have on a single keycard, but my wife and I have a 2018 model 3 and a 2022 model Y we got in march of this year. Both came with 2 keycards, so we have a total of 4.

We carry the keycards as backup, and I wanted to see if I could program one keycard to open both cars. It worked. I have one keycard in my wallet that opens both my model 3 and my wifes model Y, and she has one in her purse that does the same exact thing (open both cars).

The other two we put away in a drawer, where we used to keep extra keyfobs from our cars and our daughters car.

So, for 2 vehicles, it works. Not sure how many more than that it will work with.

On a different note, I also think that this thread is on topic for what you were asking, nice job finding it even though it was older.

Reactions: TheRedBendY
Upvote 0
Ideally what I would want to do is have a separate "Tesla Rentals card" that I add to vehicles as I pick them up, and then de-authorize at the end of the rental (I don't need or want to have access to rental cars after returning them).

The cards are only $35 for two, so I might just give it a try and see. And actually, a fob might be a more convenient alternative to the card, but not sure I want to invest that much money. My hope is that Tesla/Hertz eventually develop a way to let renters use the Tesla app. Some sort of fleet provision mechanism would have so many benefits...

(and I feel that first time Tesla renters who don't have experience with the app will actually get a negative first impression when they have to use they key card... and don't realize that that isn't the everyday experience of Tesla owners)

Upvote 0
Ideally what I would want to do is have a separate "Tesla Rentals card" that I add to vehicles as I pick them up, and then de-authorize at the end of the rental (I don't need or want to have access to rental cars after returning them).

The cards are only $35 for two, so I might just give it a try and see. And actually, a fob might be a more convenient alternative to the card, but not sure I want to invest that much money. My hope is that Tesla/Hertz eventually develop a way to let renters use the Tesla app. Some sort of fleet provision mechanism would have so many benefits...

(and I feel that first time Tesla renters who don't have experience with the app will actually get a negative first impression when they have to use they key card... and don't realize that that isn't the everyday experience of Tesla owners)

I am wondering if the keycard they give out when renting out the vehicle is actually capable of also being one to register new keys to the vehicle. If it is, thats a huge security issue for them, at least in my opinion. Someone easily making keys to their vehicles would lead to people simply buying keycards, renting the cars, duping the keys then coming back at some point to steal the cars.

Thats literally the first thing I thought of when it comes to creating additional keys, and im a regular, law abiding citizen who doesnt give much thought to this stuff. Someone has to have considered that, or if not, will be forced to consider it if its possible to register new keys with the key they give you.

If you decide to try it, let us know if it works.

Reactions: XPsionic
Upvote 0
I am wondering if the keycard they give out when renting out the vehicle is actually capable of also being one to register new keys to the vehicle. If it is, thats a huge security issue for them, at least in my opinion. Someone easily making keys to their vehicles would lead to people simply buying keycards, renting the cars, duping the keys then coming back at some point to steal the cars.

Thats literally the first thing I thought of when it comes to creating additional keys, and im a regular, law abiding citizen who doesnt give much thought to this stuff. Someone has to have considered that, or if not, will be forced to consider it if its possible to register new keys with the key they give you.

If you decide to try it, let us know if it works.
Or part of their "vehicle check-in" procedure at Hertz might include going to the security screen and removing all new keys...

Upvote 0

Please try and report back. I'd be shocked if adding a keycard is allowed/possible in a rental however.

Upvote 0

Yes. You can use the same card for multiple vehicles.
I've got a MY and my wife has a M3, and we added the keys to both cars, so we can each carry a physical card that works for either car.

Also - nothing is being programmed into the keycard - the Tesla's are being 'trained' to recognize the unique card ID as valid for unlocking & starting/driving.

Also - for the Hertz thing - you can probably add your phone as a key too, at least using it with the NFC to tap to the pillar and near the cup holder.

Upvote 0
Please try and report back. I'd be shocked if adding a keycard is allowed/possible in a rental however.
If there is a software or configuration difference in a rental car versus an individually owned car, another possible feature would be to have or enable a rental-reset function (perhaps through a special app that the rental company has) that can be quickly and conveniently done after the rental car is returned. Of course, whether to do such a thing is between the car company and the rental company.

Upvote 0