Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pros and Cons for 22 inch Wheels Vs 20 inch Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already get horrible range with the way I drive, 22s will mean I am constantly charging.

Just tried to paint the wheel, doesn’t seem to look the same, I did manage to screw this up when I put on the lug nuts. I have to start over
Your driving an expensive car, you should look into getting someone to professionally refinish your wheels. They don’t charge much if you go to the right guys. I’d go to a couple dealers and ask who does there wheel repairs, possibly even ask your Tesla service center. I’d check a few prices because they might try to charge an end user more, but a professional job will look nicer.

When I went in to do the test drive and take home for the night I wanted a basic Model X. The showroom had a white on white 6 seater with black 22s and that's exactly what I ordered. The wheels made the entire vehicle change looks to me.

Your driving an expensive car, you should look into getting someone to professionally refinish your wheels. They don’t charge much if you go to the right guys. I’d go to a couple dealers and ask who does there wheel repairs, possibly even ask your Tesla service center. I’d check a few prices because they might try to charge an end user more, but a professional job will look nicer.

I am not exactly sure how "professional" job will look any different. The 20" looks like poop no matter what color they are in. I just screwed up when I install the wheel, I can do over easily.

I am not exactly sure how "professional" job will look any different. The 20" looks like poop no matter what color they are in. I just screwed up when I install the wheel, I can do over easily.
Big difference in paint quality between a professional job. We have a set of dealer refurbished wheels we are redoing right now off a 911 Turbo, the difference is big from one pro to the next so non-pressional is not on the same page. The paint would never just peel off if done properly, it just depends on your standards of acceptable quality. I posted a picture of our X’s 20’s that were refinished by us, Tesla commented on how they thought they were factory when changing the rear calipers duting a recall.

Big difference in paint quality between a professional job. We have a set of dealer refurbished wheels we are redoing right now off a 911 Turbo, the difference is big from one pro to the next so non-pressional is not on the same page. The paint would never just peel off if done properly, it just depends on your standards of acceptable quality. I posted a picture of our X’s 20’s that were refinished by us, Tesla commented on how they thought they were factory when changing the rear calipers duting a recall.

I use plasti-dip to test colors, from far away you can't tell the difference. I can paint the 20s in grey green black or whatever, I still think it looks like poop. I do have some gold paint, maybe I should try that.

I use plasti-dip to test colors, from far away you can't tell the difference. I can paint the 20s in grey green black or whatever, I still think it looks like poop. I do have some gold paint, maybe I should try that.
Haha, I think the gold would be cool, when I was a kid we had many Chevy Monza’s. We painted the wheels on every one of them gold and when we sold them we listed them for sale as having the "gold wheel package"...... never had a complaint but if I remember correctly they were not near $100k. I think the factory 19" and 20" wheels in grey look far better than the factory silver wheels but obviously that is just opinion. I still think the factory 22" look the best by far and the small energy savings of having a wimpy looking 20’s is not worth it. On a side note the thinner sidewalls on the 22" 35 series tires have never been a problem for us as far as wheel damage but some drivers can manage to damage anything. I’ve got a set of absolutely perfect grey 20’s I should sell as I can’t imagine ever putting them back on unless it was for a buyer when we sell our X.

I already get horrible range with the way I drive, 22s will mean I am constantly charging.

Just tried to paint the wheel, doesn’t seem to look the same, I did manage to screw this up when I put on the lug nuts. I have to start over

5-10% range difference does not mean "Always charging." If you don't floor it on 2-3 stoplights, that itself will account for your range loss on 22's vs 20's.

• Funny
Reactions: Ocelot and gangzoom
When you change the tires from 20" to 22" do you need to change a setting in the car? Does this need to be done at a service center or is it as simple as taking the wheels off and putting the new ones on?
If you're running one of the latest updates, you can change the wheel type and size in the vehicle settings pages - no need to visit a service center or reach out to support.

Reactions: GrumGrum
Thank you very much for the info. I'm new to Tesla, I'm actually ordering my X this weekend. I am leaning towards buying with the standard wheels and seeing if I can pickup a set of 22" from someone on here or eBay. If anyone has 22" to sell please PM me.

Commenting on an old thread... Anyone with a 75D who chose to go the 22" route and regret the range hit? Considering upgrading our 20s"
You are a braver man than me. I've ordered a Raven LR and decided on the 20's just to keep the range (this is going to be our family / trip vehicle). Going to get them painted gloss black (and clear coated) which may hit range a little, but hopefully a lot better than the ~10% hit I've seen posted for the 22's...

• Funny
Reactions: Meccanica
I do the seasonal swap. 20's in winter with snow tires and 22's in summer with sport tires. Best of both worlds. Purchased the OEM 22's used on eBay. 22's in winter is too much efficiency loss for where I live. You could consider the "two-tone" trick with the 20's to make them visually look bigger. There's a thread selling vinyl decal kits for $50 if you search.

Reactions: wreighven
I wish our X was a 100 but we got such an amazing deal on it, I don't regret getting the 75D... Maybe a future upgrade will be possible with Battery investor day around the corner. So 10% hit is the going estimate? We are getting about 200 Miles on average full charge with heavy freeway use. So 180? Hmm, that's a big hit.

Reactions: wreighven
I do the seasonal swap. 20's in winter with snow tires and 22's in summer with sport tires. Best of both worlds. Purchased the OEM 22's used on eBay. 22's in winter is too much efficiency loss for where I live. You could consider the "two-tone" trick with the 20's to make them visually look bigger. There's a thread selling vinyl decal kits for $50 if you search.
Just curious, how much of the efficiency loss is due to the wheels though?

Reactions: gangzoom
20" Black Onyx Wheels (yes, center caps have since been replaced). These are my winter wheels, so they'll be on the vehicle until 1 May. The difference in efficiency is noticeable. Overall, I still agree with the others that the 22's stand out just a bit more.

Attachments

• IMG_3089.JPG
    IMG_3089.JPG
    391.5 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_3090.JPG
    IMG_3090.JPG
    442.2 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_3102.JPG
    IMG_3102.JPG
    387.5 KB · Views: 392
Last edited: