Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pros and Cons for 22 inch Wheels Vs 20 inch Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO the silver 20's are one of those wheels that looks really good in person and in motion, and pretty dorky in photos from the wrong angle.

I'm old enough to remember when Dodge shocked the world by offering 20's on the Ram, and how huge those looked. Now Boxsters come with dubs on them. lol

I run the 22s for the sumer and the 20s for the winter. Best of both worlds. I don’t stress about range, I enjoy the looks of both.

:)

437AB65E-DBD3-4E57-8941-65E5F2617363.jpeg
99AEC395-B0DD-4EDB-9F05-7959642ECD6F.jpeg
93FEA128-210D-48AB-856F-DF01FC257B11.jpeg

Reactions: DIL
New to the whole Tesla wheel-tire thing. (I am asking in different threads.)

Are the tires and wheels in the "Model X 22" Turbine Wheel and Pirelli Scorpion Tire Package" in onyx black (sold online at the Tesla-USA Model X Shop site for $6,800 [parts, shipping, installation]) the same tres and wheels making up the "22-inch Onyx Black Wheels" option offered for an additional $5,500 when "building" a pre-refresh USA Model X (say from 2020)? You also see the "22-inch Onyx Black Wheels" description on the Tesla Inventory pages. Just want to make sure they are the same thing.

New to the whole Tesla wheel-tire thing. (I am asking in different threads.)

Are the tires and wheels in the "Model X 22" Turbine Wheel and Pirelli Scorpion Tire Package" in onyx black (sold online at the Tesla-USA Model X Shop site for $6,800 [parts, shipping, installation]) the same tres and wheels making up the "22-inch Onyx Black Wheels" option offered for an additional $5,500 when "building" a pre-refresh USA Model X (say from 2020)? You also see the "22-inch Onyx Black Wheels" description on the Tesla Inventory pages. Just want to make sure they are the same thing.

Yes, they should be.

Yes, they should be.

Thanks. I think you are right. Found this:

Wheel and Tire Guide for Tesla Vehicles - Unplugged Performance

which seems to support the idea that the two wheel-sets (described on Tesla Inventory sites and on Tesla Model X Shop site) are one in the same.

Thinking out loud, the next question for me to investigate is, what is a fair asking price for a new (less than 100 miles) set of 22" Tesla Onyx Black Turbine wheels and tires (from 2021 Model X--unsure if they would fit other Tesla cars)? They were an additional $5,500 option when buying a new (pre-refresh) MX. And they sell for $6,800 on the Tesla MX Shop site--but that includes shipping and installation).

So I am thinking, $3,500? No idea as to desirability/availability. What the market determines, I guess.

which seems to support the idea that the two wheel-sets (described on Tesla Inventory sites and on Tesla Model X Shop site) are one in the same.

Thinking out loud, the next question for me to investigate is, what is a fair asking price for a new (less than 100 miles) set of 22" Tesla Onyx Black Turbine wheels and tires (from 2021 Model X--unsure if they would fit other Tesla cars)? They were an additional $5,500 option when buying a new (pre-refresh) MX. And they sell for $6,800 on the Tesla MX Shop site--but that includes shipping and installation).

So I am thinking, $3,500? No idea as to desirability/availability. What the market determines, I guess.

“street price” is $3,000’ish. Many X owners prefer the 20 inch setup as it provides better range. I run both 22 and 20 inch sets pending the season.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tps5352
... I run both 22 and 20 inch sets pending the season.

Thanks for good info.

Ah, yes. Winter in Chicago. I've been there. (I grew up in New England; lived in Ohio; visited Chicago.) Central Valley (Sacramento, CA) seasons seem to be getting milder (climate change?). I think I'll get two sets of 20" wheel-sets.

Nice car.

Thanks for good info.

Ah, yes. Winter in Chicago. I've been there. (I grew up in New England; lived in Ohio; visited Chicago.) Central Valley (Sacramento, CA) seasons seem to be getting milder (climate change?). I think I'll get two sets of 20" wheel-sets.

Nice car.

can't go wrong with (2) sets of 20's! its all a matter of wheel preference, range and how you need/want your X to be like.

I have mentioned this in other places as well: The price of the 22" that Tesla charges is ridiculous, because you basically go from getting the 20" standard wheels (included in the order at no additional charge) to 22" wheels at +5.5k, that prices these wheels at the premium of 5.5k plus the value of the standard wheels that would otherwise have been included (but obviously you will only get one set of wheels with your car if you opt for the 22" wheels), let's say 3.5k, so the "real" price tag is 9k. I know this has no real value in answering your question, just mentioning again as i find it so ridiculous (even though I think the 22" onyx wheels are the best looking wheels for the X out there).

I have mentioned this in other places as well: The price of the 22" that Tesla charges is ridiculous...

Yes, from my quick review of the situation I came to roughly the same conclusion--i.e., boy, those optional $6,500 wheel sets sure are pricey. But they do include shipping and installation (but not for the +$5,500 build optional wheels, I agree). Seems like a bit of imaginative book-keeping (like in the military)? Tesla would not be the first auto manufacturer to make a significant profit from parts sales and service.

That said, in my hasty investigations I have so far learned that a wheel-tire combo purchased from and installed by Tesla ensures that you (should) get (a) exactly the tire intended by the designer-engineers for promised range and performance (exact model, size, rubber composition, tread pattern, etc.), mounted in the correct orientation and with proper pressure; (b) the genuine Tesla factory TPMS sensors (which are guaranteed to synch properly with your car's software), and (c) the full tire noise reduction intended. I wonder how many people who take their Teslas in to the local PDQ Tires place end up getting all of that? Maybe these days they do?

As long as a tech company is truly providing excellence, I am willing to pay (to the extent I can). I get really upset where the prices continue to go up but the quality and technical excellence clearly begins to fall away. That is where you know greed has taken control and the top 1% are absconding with our money. We can all think of examples of that happening.

• Informative
Reactions: DIL
Haha. Yeah but that would actually be around the price (in USD) that you pay for the 22" set of wheels if you buy a new car anyway:

USD 3,500 (for the 20" set of wheels you give up) plus USD 5,500 for the 22" wheel option adds up to USD 9k anyway :) So if I was interested in a set, I would definitely buy them second hand, this way you get the 20" wheels with the car (included in the base price) plus the 22" set for ca. USD 4k. So you pay 4k for two sets of wheels instead of 9k for one.

Reactions: tps5352
The larger wheels while giving a slight handling edge lose in efficiency, harsher/stiffer ride, more costly tires and a MUCH greater chance of rim and tire sidewall damage. I opted for the smaller wheels.
I have 22 niche wheels and two bent already in one year and lose balance fast. When tires start getting old it’s like riding on rocks on the concrete highway. Look great but moving to 20 inch rotiform ozr r159. So good looking

I have 22 niche wheels and two bent already in one year and lose balance fast. When tires start getting old it’s like riding on rocks on the concrete highway. Look great but moving to 20 inch rotiform ozr r159. So good looking

What pressure are you keeping your tires at? Or are your roads that bad? I've driven about half my miles on 22 wheels and I can't say I've had the same experience.

I just realized you had Niche wheels and not OEM wheels. I haven't used those so I can't speak to the quality of them. I've done my miles on OEM wheels and TSS wheels without any bends.

same here. No issues yet with my 22s. I got the TSS Sportlines in 22s that I will be mounting soon and looking forward to getting some drive time with them on.

I love the way my TSS's look and drive. I've got them with DWS06 and they ride beautifully. The treadwear so far has been much better than the OEM package as well.

My X has the 20” Silver Helix wheels, which were a $2500 option (according the original Monroney sticker that was with my car when I bought it used). Style is subjective to ones own taste, but I like the looks of these compared to the regular 20” wheel. In the year I’ve owned my car, I’ve never seen another X with them. The fact that they’re a bit unique, I guess, is the attraction.
1B6A3C31-CFFD-438F-8934-3AE6FDF8BE39.jpeg

Reactions: rush6410
My X has the 20” Silver Helix wheels, which were a $2500 option (according the original Monroney sticker that was with my car when I bought it used). Style is subjective to ones own taste, but I like the looks of these compared to the regular 20” wheel. In the year I’ve owned my car, I’ve never seen another X with them. The fact that they’re a bit unique, I guess, is the attraction. View attachment 643799
I am with you.

Attachments

• MrRoboto photo.png
    MrRoboto photo.png
    845 KB · Views: 123
Reactions: KentuckyX