Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prospective Buyer of Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello to the TMC!

I’m a prospective buyer looking to possibly purchase a LR Model S as my only vehicle, and the only concerns are vehicle service and customer service. I am coming from two lemons (rather early production vehicles), and want to hear what people think in terms of waiting to order, as the refresh began delivering rather recently. Is there anyone who came from the German auto segment to find Tesla’s communications and service similar?

Thanks so much in advance.

Hello to the TMC!

I’m a prospective buyer looking to possibly purchase a LR Model S as my only vehicle, and the only concerns are vehicle service and customer service. I am coming from two lemons (rather early production vehicles), and want to hear what people think in terms of waiting to order, as the refresh began delivering rather recently. Is there anyone who came from the German auto segment to find Tesla’s communications and service similar?

Thanks so much in advance.
I came from BMW and was an early Model S adopter. Before the Model 3 was released, Tesla service and support was excellent.

After the Model 3 it very, very quickly went to the worst service model in the industry. By a wide margin. It’s not even close.

Tesla makes decent cars with amazing battery packs and software. Customer service is to the point where I would say it’s non existent if you’re coming from a German automaker.

All current Model S deliveries have been on hold for over a week due to some sort of issue. Is it a software issue? Safety issue? No one knows. Tesla isn’t communicating anything to its buyers. That should tell you a lot.

Edit: I have a LR Model S in order. I’m hoping the car lives up to the hype. But I’m not expecting anything in terms of Service and have been waiting months just to receive a delivery date for my $80K purchase with no communication from Tesla.

I'd argue the quality of the service depends on your location (much like BMW and MB). The biggest difference I've experienced in German (BMW, MB) and Tesla customer service is the frequency in which I've needed any. The single experience I've had with Tesla service was great, and I didn't even have to leave work for it to be fixed. Those with bad experiences are much more vocal than those with good.

Reactions: Saimaannorppa
I'd argue the quality of the service depends on your location (much like BMW and MB). The biggest difference I've experienced in German (BMW, MB) and Tesla customer service is the frequency in which I've needed any. The single experience I've had with Tesla service was great, and I didn't even have to leave work for it to be fixed. Those with bad experiences are much more vocal than those with good.

Not sure how that is possible since Tesla Service policies and directives come directly from the Mothership in Fremont. It is a completely different model than an independent dealership.

Reactions: AMPd
If Customer Service is your primary concern I can't recommend Tesla. At all. For those saying it's regional as to if you'll have a good experience or not... that's optimistic at best. They don't even have a customer-facing number. Think about that for a moment and let it sink in. Then, once you're done, search this forum and the world wide web for instances of paying customers left out in the cold w/o any way to escalate an issue to reach resolution. This is a very real problem and is one of the chief reasons I've gone away from recommending what is otherwise an incredible car.

With an order in for Model S, I have been reading about Tesla ownership and coming across "Customer Service" related threads. "Bad Customer Service" can mean different things to different people. Some consider not getting a loaner to be "Bad Customer Service". Some are offended by a service advisor's demeanor or tone, while others are complaining about an actual problem with the vehicle that could not be rectified in a timely manner which lead the vehicle to be out of service for some time.

I am not sensitive to the lack of traditional customer service e.g. free coffee, free loaners, courteous staff, nice sitting areas, free car washes, etc. All those things are very nice but if they are absent, I do not mind. On occasion, I've not been provided a loaner by Land Rover, Lexus, Alfa Romeo, Morgan, Lotus etc. but thats OK. I would've preferred they did, but that's not a show stopper for me. I also do not need to talk to a human being about anything. Email or text or app is fine as long as I get my questions answered or am able to schedule an appointment etc.

However, what I do not tolerate is shoddy workmanship, lying about work needed or work performed, not fixing problems under warranty, not scheduling appointments in a timely manner, or work not completed within a reasonable amount of time. Those are the kind of things that mean "Bad Customer Service" to me.

I appreciate those who are speaking out and making newcomers, like myself, aware of their concerns. It would be very nice to have the context of "Bad Customer Service" experience, so everyone can make a judgment for themselves. What is unacceptable for one person may be OK for another, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:
With an order in for Model S, I have been reading about Tesla ownership and coming across "Customer Service" related threads. "Bad Customer Service" can mean different things to different people. Some consider not getting a loaner to be "Bad Customer Service". Some are offended by a service advisor's demeanor or tone, while others are complaining about an actual problem with the vehicle that could not be rectified in a timely manner which lead the vehicle to be out of service for some time.

I am not sensitive to the lack of traditional customer service e.g. free coffee, free loaners, courteous staff, nice sitting areas, free car washes, etc. All those things are very nice but if they are absent, I do not mind. On occasion, I've not been provided a loaner by Land Rover, Lexus, Alfa Romeo, Morgan, Lotus etc. but thats OK. I would've preferred they did, but that's not a show stopper for me. I also do not need to talk to a human being about anything. Email or text or app is fine as long as I get my questions answered or am able to schedule an appointment etc.

However, what I do not tolerate is shoddy workmanship, lying about work needed or work performed, not fixing problems under warranty, not scheduling appointments in a timely manner, or work not completed within a reasonable amount of time. Those are the kind of things that mean "Bad Customer Service" to me.

I appreciate those who are speaking out and making newcomers, like myself, aware of their concerns. It would be very nice to have the context of "Bad Customer Service" experience, so everyone can make a judgment for themselves. What is unacceptable for one person may be OK for another, etc.

Thanks!
I’ll expand on my “bad customer service” experience.

Bought a $130K Performance Model S from Tesla. Planned to use it on road trips. I liked the free supercharging and was impressed by Tesla’s warranty on the battery.

Fast forward a few years. Tesla remotely cripples the ability of my battery to charge at a reasonable speed (from 120kWh down to around 40kWh) and also reduces the capacity of the battery.

I brought this to the attention of 2 different local services centers. Escalated to management and provided data to back up the claim. I had a warranty on the vehicle and wanted a replacement battery that was properly functioning. I was told “everything is within spec for the battery”

Then Tesla issues a statement that “out of an abundance of caution” the charge curve and capacity was modified, blah, blah, blah.

Which leads us to batterygate/chargegate. Details of which you can find on this forum. Tesla is part of a class action suit over all impacted vehicles.

So that’s just ONE example. There are more. The company is shady AF and opaque in all dealings with its customers. I don’t recommend anyone else buy one and I would never own one outside the warranty period.

So I’m my experience, their level of “bad” goes beyond “no free coffee in the pot”.

Last edited:
^ Thanks for sharing your experience. I was unaware of "batterygate/chargegate".
And if you think that was a one time occurrence while Tesla was a “young company”…fast forward to today. All Model S deliveries on hold. No communication from Tesla.

Again, people who shelled out $130K for their “latest and greatest” are looking at a half-baked product with very obvious software issues and potential hardware defects.

Thanks to everyone that gave their .02!

Panel gaps and no courtesy vehicles aren’t a deal breaker for me. Luckily, I live right next to a service center! Tesla has always been appealing with developed infrastructure and range. Given that the LR has also increased by 5k, I’m split on the decision. If I’m spending 85k+ on a Model S, I hope for basic and necessary communication from Tesla. If not, I’m leaning towards the 3/Y lineup or other BEV’s.

The way I tell people now is: "As amazing as the cars are (and they are) the customer care support is equally bad."

And I'm not a coffee drinker, have never once measured a panel gap on any car I've owned nor do I expect to be pampered. Saying stuff like that discredits the relentless pile of hot garbage Tesla has given me over the years across six vehicles, endless issues and multiple locations.

What I do expect is for my car to be fixed when broken and I expect people to communicate with me. You would think those basics of customer support are required but Tesla has decided otherwise.

Reactions: glide
And if you think that was a one time occurrence while Tesla was a “young company”…fast forward to today. All Model S deliveries on hold. No communication from Tesla.

Again, people who shelled out $130K for their “latest and greatest” are looking at a half-baked product with very obvious software issues and potential hardware defects.
I assume you would not order from Tesla again! Let us know what you end up buying and how you like the purchase and service experience. Good luck.

I assume you would not order from Tesla again! Let us know what you end up buying and how you like the purchase and service experience. Good luck.
Full disclosure, I have an LR on order. I’ll hang onto it until something else viable comes along. Rivian, Lightning F-150, Mercedes EQS.

The real thing holding me back is the supercharging infrastructure. If they do wind up opening it to other manufacturers, that’s game over for me.

Reactions: Wol747
This is my first and only ev so I don’t have much experience with this type of vehicle. But I believe it will take Awhile Before these alternate vehicles catch up To Tesla’s tech. It is really amazing to me.

Btw. I am a big MB fan ( my last 5 cars). I consider waiting for EQS but think it is still vapor ware and when delivered will be behind the tech curve.

The current mb tech for gas cars is currently the weakest part of owning a Benz

If service is a concern, why not start with a Model 3 or Model Y. They are cheaper, have been in production longer and will most likely have less issues. Buying a first year product from Tesla is a roll of the dice. If this is also your first EV, the Model 3/Y will be a great introduction. It's quite a different experience compared to a traditional vehicle, and even though the 3/Y aren't as luxurious as a German product, it will at least feel new and exciting.

Drive it for 12-24 months and if you really love the Tesla experience, upgrade to a Model S. The 3/Y hold their value so well you won't lose much money for trying this approach.

The vast majority of Tesla servicing, at least around here (Silicon Valley), seems to be performed via mobile service rangers. There are few things that can't be done in your driveway. The couple of things I've used them for over the past three years, e.g. upgrading my FSD computer and replacing a rodent chewed wiring harness, they've been great.

The MB my Model 3 replaced was always expensive to maintain. (All those "Service A"s and "Service B"s.). And both engine and transmission were starting to require expensive repairs. At this point I wouldn't own another daily driver German car that was outside factory warranty.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

I’m close to three service centers, which provides a little more peace of mind. I am now leaning towards the Model 3 with the least depreciation for a year before switching to the S. Would definitely be willing to purchase a Refresh Model S after it has been in production for a bit longer. Also unsure of the price fluctuations; if they’re due to demand or chip supply. If Tesla goes back to the 79k base price and the new tax credit goes into effect, it’ll be ideal to switch then.