Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prospective M3 buyer - advice needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I want to buy a used M3 in the UK, but want get one that has the Lithium Iron Phosphate battery, plus ideally the AMD processor upgrade. Does anyone know which year and month of first registration these started in the UK, so at least I know which ones to look at?

Thanks.

So, I want to buy a used M3 in the UK, but want get one that has the Lithium Iron Phosphate battery, plus ideally the AMD processor upgrade. Does anyone know which year and month of first registration these started in the UK, so at least I know which ones to look at?

Thanks.
It is from Dec 2021 - All the RWD has LFP batteries.

Any reason why you are choosing LFPs? If it is just cost just bear with it and put some extra and get the LR as the 40-50 miles difference is sometime the deal breaker if you live on one end of the country.

Attached the thread related to processor

Due to the way Tesla operate there will be no definitive date/month. They operate on a Quarterly system and cars built in the previous one sometimes arrive late/register late.
LFP began around Q2 2021 and I think the Ryzen appeared in Q4 that year.
If you want LFP you’re after an SR+ or RWD model.
I think a 60kwh RWD model will provide both LFP and Ryzen.

Any reason why you are choosing LFPs? If it is just cost just bear with it and put some extra and get the LR as the 40-50 miles difference is sometime the deal breaker if you live on one end of the country.

My Sep ‘21 SR+ was LFP. So they were in production earlier than Dec ‘21. It didn’t have Ryzen but did have heated steering wheel and rear seats.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've watched a lot of videos about the LFP batteries and really like the idea of being able to charge the battery to 100% on a regular basis, plus they're supposed to last longer and be safer, although I think those last two points are negligible and I haven't heard of many Tesla's bursting into flames!

They've got a M3 with EAP and an extra year's warranty in the inventory sub £25k.

I'd jump on that IIWY. It's ready for delivery, which is more than you can say about the one I reserved.

Thanks for the link, but I think I'm looking for one that was made in at least 2021, as the ones built in China are supposed to be of better quality and I quite like the idea of getting the facelift one.

To have the AMD Ryzen processor it will need to be 2022 edition, so that and a Standard Range/Model 3 for the battery.

I would say, having traded a 2019 Intel based car to a 2022 AMD car, there is so far very little difference. It's marginally faster to use, and you get the Zoom app, but nothing else. Bear in mind that as far as we know it will never get the Steam support you see on the new Model S or X as it doesn't have a discrete GPU which is fundamental to how they run Steam in a virtual container.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Just because you can charge them to 100% consistently, without any battery degradation, so you get that bit of extra range.

Don't quote me on this but, IIRC, it still suffers from degradation but it is also much harder to get an accurate guess of its state of charge with LFP batteries, so to help get a better SoC estimate, and probably people to prevent people complaining that their range/% is inaccurate/poor, Tesla recommend the regular charge to 100% as the lesser of two evils.

Worth clarifying this though and to what extent each technology suffer with what.

An LFP will do a real world 160 miles winter and 250 summer
A long range will do 250 winter to 350 summer.

At 70MPH on the motorway? I'm doubtful you'd do that well in Summer in a 2020/earlier SR+ - and I wouldn't expect a car which was pre-conditioned before departure, and doing a long run, to be much more than 10% range-loss in Winter - O/P is in Essex and my definition of Winter being 5C - 10C :) if its below 0C then as you were ... but the AA, RAC and Police will be saying "Stay at home" ...

you can charge them to 100% consistently, without any battery degradation, so you get that bit of extra range

I have some thoughts, not sure it amounts to a bag of beans though, and it may be stuff that you have already considered.

I charge to 100% (mine isn't LiFePO4) when I want to go somewhere that is more than 70% of my real-world range. I've been caught out by an unexpected thunderstorm which significantly increased consumption, since then I picked 70% range as my "charge to 100%" trigger.

I don't have that many journeys, a year, that require that. For those I charge to 100% "shortly before departure", and if for some reason my departure is cancelled I burn off some energy so it doesn't sit like that (either drive to the shops, or put the climate on full blast for a while). Can't remember the last time that happened ...

A downside of this is that I might do this "90%-to-100% pre-departure charge" on Peak electricity tariff.

A 100% charge is helpful, now and again, to rebalance the cells and recalibrate the BMS.

That said, and with the benefit of the hindsight of having owned a number of (Tesla) EVs since 2015, I would pay for range every time. Of course it depends on how many days a year you will drive "out of range" (and have to road-trip charge). For me that used to be a couple of times a month (240-mile @70MPH range EV) , now its a couple of times a year (300 mile range). In effect I've spent quite a lot, on a bigger-battery-model, to avoid that charging.
  • Charging is expensive ("'bout the same as buying petrol" so not terrible) compared to charging at home on Of Peak tariff.
  • Charging takes time.
  • Charging infrastructure, other than Superchargers, is 95% dire.
  • Superchargers already come under pressure on holiday weekends - queuing and so on.
  • Superchargers are opening to other Marques ... in other EU countries most superchargers are already open, in some countries all are open (e.g. Netherlands, but their 3rd party chargers are good, compared to ours, so less pressure for EV owners to use Supercharger network). So UK may "open to all" before long, which will increase Supercharger congestion queuing
Some figures on that:

My car will do 300 miles (at 70MPH). By comparison a 2020 M3 SR+ is 171 miles (Summer, dry, no wind)

My first stop will be 90% range (270 miles 3h51m if my bladder lasts!), thereafter each leg (charge 10% - 70%) will be 180 miles (2h34m)

The 171-mile car will do 154 miles down to 10%, but that's only 17 miles contingency, I suspect 30 miles contingency would be more comfortable, so 141 miles - 2h0m and then the refuel legs (10% - 70%) would be 102 miles (1h28m) - more likely you would choose to charge to 80+%, but the rapid charging rate slows down above 70%

If you aren't going to go out of range then 100% charge is moot (provided you have home charging)
If you are going to go out of range then LR makes a huge difference. If its once a year then unlikely to be worth it - but doing a 100% charge just before you leave, on such rare trips, is unlikely to be a hassle (hence no great benefit from LiFePO4 if your out-of-range days are "1 or 2 a year")

If you do not have the ability to charge at home then being able to charge to 100% (when you do the weekly shop / whatever) would be an advantage ... however, the top 10% charges very slowly, so you'd be hanging about for quite a while to get that last 10%

Whereas a LR would charge fast for, say, 80% of the battery ... and 80% of a LR battery is more range than 100% of a SR+ battery

So if Range is your primary concern I'd recommend finding a way to get a LR rather than the 100% charging benefit of LiFePO4

I'd appreciate hearing what others think

Just in case you are not aware of it ABetterRoutePlanner lets you choose a Brand + Model (and set weather Summer / Winter etc. if you want to) and then try your expected trips. It will tell you where you would have to charge, and for how long, so easy to compare SR+ vs LR (or, indeed, other Brands). It accommodates waypoints (with/without charging ability) so you can do a what-if for staying at Rellies that have 13AMP charging and so on.

At 70MPH on the motorway? I'm doubtful you'd do that well in Summer in a 2020/earlier SR+ - and I wouldn't expect a car which was pre-conditioned before departure, and doing a long run, to be much more than 10% range-loss in Winter - O/P is in Essex and my definition of Winter being 5C - 10C :) if its below 0C then as you were ... but the AA, RAC and Police will be saying "Stay at home" ...

I have some thoughts, not sure it amounts to a bag of beans though, and it may be stuff that you have already considered.

I charge to 100% (mine isn't LiFePO4) when I want to go somewhere that is more than 70% of my real-world range. I've been caught out by an unexpected thunderstorm which significantly increased consumption, since then I picked 70% range as my "charge to 100%" trigger.

I don't have that many journeys, a year, that require that. For those I charge to 100% "shortly before departure", and if for some reason my departure is cancelled I burn off some energy so it doesn't sit like that (either drive to the shops, or put the climate on full blast for a while). Can't remember the last time that happened ...

A downside of this is that I might do this "90%-to-100% pre-departure charge" on Peak electricity tariff.

A 100% charge is helpful, now and again, to rebalance the cells and recalibrate the BMS.

That said, and with the benefit of the hindsight of having owned a number of (Tesla) EVs since 2015, I would pay for range every time. Of course it depends on how many days a year you will drive "out of range" (and have to road-trip charge). For me that used to be a couple of times a month (240-mile @70MPH range EV) , now its a couple of times a year (300 mile range). In effect I've spent quite a lot, on a bigger-battery-model, to avoid that charging.
  • Charging is expensive ("'bout the same as buying petrol" so not terrible) compared to charging at home on Of Peak tariff.
  • Charging takes time.
  • Superchargers already come under pressure on holiday weekends - queuing and so on.
  • Superchargers are opening to other Marques ... in other EU countries most superchargers are already open, in some countries all are open (e.g. Netherlands, but their 3rd party chargers are good, compared to ours, so less pressure for EV owners to use Supercharger network). So UK may "open to all" before long, which will increase Supercharger congestion queuing
Some figures on that:

My car will do 300 miles (at 70MPH). By comparison a 2020 M3 SR+ is 171 miles (Summer, dry, no wind)

My first stop will be 90% range (270 miles 3h51m if my bladder lasts!), thereafter each leg (charge 10% - 70%) will be 180 miles (2h34m)

The 171-mile car will do 154 miles down to 10%, but that's only 17 miles contingency, I suspect 30 miles contingency would be more comfortable, so 141 miles - 2h0m and then the refuel legs (10% - 70%) would be 102 miles (1h28m) - more likely you would choose to charge to 80+%, but the rapid charging rate slows down above 70%

If you aren't going to go out of range then 100% charge is moot (provided you have home charging)
If you are going to go out of range then LR makes a huge difference. If its once a year then unlikely to be worth it - but doing a 100% charge just before you leave, on such rare trips, is unlikely to be a hassle (hence no great benefit from LiFePO4 if your out-of-range days are "1 or 2 a year")

If you do not have the ability to charge at home then being able to charge to 100% (when you do the weekly shop / whatever) would be an advantage ... however, the top 10% charges very slowly, so you'd be hanging about for quite a while to get that last 10%

Whereas a LR would charge fast for, say, 80% of the battery ... and 80% of a LR battery is more range than 100% of a SR+ battery

So if Range is your primary concern I'd recommend finding a way to get a LR rather than the 100% charging benefit of LiFePO4

Just in case you are not aware of it ABetterRoutePlanner lets you choose a Brand + Model (and set weather Summer / Winter etc. if you want to) and then try your expected trips. It will tell you where you would have to charge, and for how long, so easy to compare SR+ vs LR (or, indeed, other Brands). It accommodates waypoints (with/without charging ability) so you can do a what-if for staying at Rellies that have 13AMP charging and so on.
“At 70MPH on the motorway? I'm doubtful you'd do that well in Summer in a 2020/earlier SR+ - and I wouldn't expect a car which was pre-conditioned before departure, and doing a long run, to be much more than 10% range-loss in Winter - O/P is in Essex and my definition of Winter being 5C - 10C :) if its below 0C then as you were ... but the AA, RAC and Police will be saying "Stay at home" ...”

Early SR+ was 50kwh battery. My ‘21 LFP was 55 and RWD is 60. Add in the post facelift heat pump and you do see decent range from the later LFPs.

But if the OP has a usage case of a regular 200 mile round trip, it’d be a LR in my opinion.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
really like the idea of being able to charge the battery to 100% on a regular basis,
I thought the same before buying my LFP model 3 - however charging up to 80-90 in LR is pretty easy and it is not as hard as you think. And most of the superchargers now a days automatically move the slider to 80% saying more than 80% chargers are occupied. So you still have to manually reset the charging to 100% in LFP.

So if money isn’t an issue go for the LR and all things considered that is the difference between doing a round trip to Heathrow or Gatwick without stopping somewhere in the middle when you are tired and just want to go home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lord Farquad

• Charging takes time.
Some figures on that:

Thanks for your extremely detailed comments. Unfortunately I'm in the position of having limited funds & therefore trying to find a used M3 for under 30k, so a LR may be beyond me, especially as I really like the 2021 facelift model. I don't feel that leasing is an option either, as job redundancy is all too common these days. I may be ok with the SR+, as I rarely do very long journeys, perhaps.80-120 miles at most & obviously you don't need to charge to 80/90% all the time, just as much as you need for your journey.

What’s your daily mileage? What’s your longest regular run?
An LFP will do a real world 160 miles winter and 250 summer
A long range will do 250 winter to 350 summer.
I do around 30 miles a day & the occasional long journey, but never usually more than 200 miles. I am planning on getting a home charger when I get an M3. The long range version would be good, but they do seem to be a lot more expensive used.

Reactions: SteveH13
Thanks for your extremely detailed comments. Unfortunately I'm in the position of having limited funds & therefore trying to find a used M3 for under 30k, so a LR may be beyond me, especially as I really like the 2021 facelift model. I don't feel that leasing is an option either, as job redundancy is all too common these days. I may be ok with the SR+, as I rarely do very long journeys, perhaps.80-120 miles at most & obviously you don't need to charge to 80/90% all the time, just as much as you need for your journey.
Sounds like a facelift SR+ or RWD would suit you ok. If you can stretch to a RWD it’ll give you that little bit extra battery/range.

Don’t forget to get on a cheap overnight electricity tariff (Intelligent Octopus 🐙) to make your home charging cheap.

Good luck 👍

Reactions: TimboM3