Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protect your Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. I know I have not posted a lot in awhile, but life has been busy. I thought i'd share my thoughts on protecting your car in a full wrap. I've done a front end xpel on my g37, and I also did a full wrap and tint on my Model S. I've taken my car to a company called Chicago Auto Pros in the suburbs of Chicago. I consider them the best people for the job in the midwest.
I'm a big proponent of getting a wrap of some sort for the car. It has saved my Model S from needing a new paint job 3-4 times now. I've had someone at home depot smash their cart into my car which tore up the xpel, but it was easily replaced. I hit a cardboard box on the interstate and scratched the front bumper xpel bad. Peel it off and the paint underneath was perfect. Put a new xpel piece on and off I went.
They have been working on Teslas for a long time now and I was their first model 3. I have to say they did a wonderful job. The wrap is exquisite! You can not see the seams at all and the paint correction is how the car should have been! The polish on top has made the snow melt here in chicago just bead off and fly right off the car. I dont have to explain much but they did a video on it which I thought I'd share. Also thought I'd share some pics of the car debadge to get a sense of the car without the tesla logos. They put the xpel on and then put new badges on top.

Here is a link to an article they did on it:
Ceramic Coatings | Window Tint | Clear Bra | Auto Detailing

And a youtube video they did:

IMG_2747.JPEG
IMG_2748.JPEG
IMG_2749.JPEG
IMG_2752.JPEG
IMG_2753.JPEG

• Love
Reactions: KenC and Dre78
Looks great. Hope to get our S done soon although now, I'm sure there will need to do some paint corrections. Haven't had a chance to read the article yet, what are they using over the PPF for the shine?

Looks great. Hope to get our S done soon although now, I'm sure there will need to do some paint corrections. Haven't had a chance to read the article yet, what are they using over the PPF for the shine?
Cquartz Professional Finest Reserve. I wanted to give this a try since its been getting pretty good reviews. I have modesta on my G, opticoat on the S and cquartz on the model 3.... Hence after a few months I'll give a review on each.

I'm not local to IL but what's the rough price range I should expect for a full wrap?

I got a $4400 quote for the Model 3 from the XPEL factory in Austin (though they use pre-cut pieces instead of hand wrapping edges) and about $5250 from the guy in north Dallas who painstakingly wrapped the edges perfectly when he did the front of my Model S. PM me for details if you want.

Thank you for sharing this! Not sure if I'd wrap the entire car with film... but I'm quite interested in the careful inspect/buff/polish they did at the 1:30 mark in the video. Chicago Auto Pros looks like a legit detail shop... can anyone recommend a quality detailer like them in the Los Angeles area?

xpel is a complete waste of money imo. If you get in a car accident that dents the bumper the ppf is virtually worthless. Even worse if it gets in a bad accident you'll have to redo all of that install ( and guess who's gonna pay for it! Not your insurance)

xpel is a complete waste of money imo. If you get in a car accident that dents the bumper the ppf is virtually worthless. Even worse if it gets in a bad accident you'll have to redo all of that install ( and guess who's gonna pay for it! Not your insurance)

Def your opinion. I've had it on my model S for a few years and it has already paid for itself. A box fell off a truck on the interstate and I hit it on the front bumper. Had deep scratches and the xpel was tore up. took the bumper xpel off and no damage to paint. Put new one on.
Next occasion was when A shopping cart hit my rear hatch hard (not me). It put a dent in it and scratched the xpel. I was able to get the dent out and new xpel. Looks like new again. Also for my dark blue car, there are no swirl marks at all. No matter what, you will get those on a dark car.

@Fezzik,

Looks incredible....I’ll definitely look into these guys when my 3 arrives. No one locally here from what I know so May have to make the 5 hour drive north. I’m looking at full tint....full Expel and CQuartz as well. Would you be comfortable PMing me approximate cost if you are comfortable with that? Car looks Amazing!

Regards,
Ski

Thank you for sharing this! Not sure if I'd wrap the entire car with film... but I'm quite interested in the careful inspect/buff/polish they did at the 1:30 mark in the video. Chicago Auto Pros looks like a legit detail shop... can anyone recommend a quality detailer like them in the Los Angeles area?

Ceramic Pro - Xpel Clear Bra -Xpel Prime XR Plus Tint- Authorized Installer

We did ceramic coatings on both of our Model 3’s with them and they did a nice job. Fair prices too.

I disagree as well!

If you can save your paint from getting scratches and bird poop on it and keep it looking as new as the day you bought it, I am all for it!

I thought I read that insurance does pay for it in most cases, so you can check with yours or I am sure someone will chime in if they haven't already!