Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protective film on Model 3 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
86FC9113-66DF-4F9F-86FE-90092D3351A0.jpeg
Picked up my 3 from Appearance Solutions in Sacramento today. The car looks amazing. Xpel, Opticoat, Tint, and a BlackVue Camera.

View attachment 283812 Picked up my 3 from Appearance Solutions in Sacramento today. The car looks amazing. Xpel, Opticoat, Tint, and a BlackVue Camera.
Wow, it looks fantastic! I've been doing a lot of research and while there are very good installers in the immediate San Francisco Bay Area, I'm surprised at the costs here (I understand the rent, cost of living, etc, etc) . I'm more than willing to travel to Sacramento to have it expertly done and if I can save $1,000 or so, that's worth the trip! Can you give me a ballpark idea as to what you paid? I received a quote for $8,000 from an outstanding local installer for full Xpel, CQuartz reserve and full 3M Crystaline tint (front windshield, sides and large single piece rear window). While I know the local shop will do a world-class job, $8K is a tough pill to swallow.

Wow, it looks fantastic! I've been doing a lot of research and while there are very good installers in the immediate San Francisco Bay Area, I'm surprised at the costs here (I understand the rent, cost of living, etc, etc) . I'm more than willing to travel to Sacramento to have it expertly done and if I can save $1,000 or so, that's worth the trip! Can you give me a ballpark idea as to what you paid? I received a quote for $8,000 from an outstanding local installer for full Xpel, CQuartz reserve and full 3M Crystaline tint (front windshield, sides and large single piece rear window). While I know the local shop will do a world-class job, $8K is a tough pill to swallow.

Sent you a PM

When searching for a PPF company, the experience of the installers makes the most difference. We've been doing this for over 20 years with our specialty in 100% custom installations. Here is an example of the difference in our Signature Custom installations vs. companies using Pre-cut kits or Customized Pre-cut kits. In essence they are still kits and has many seams. Our 100% Custom installations provide the most comprehensive coverage in the industry.

Most of our customers don't like seeing seams hence the importance of finding the right installers / installation company. If you don't have prior experience, we do recommend going to see the work in person. Pictures are often misleading, and the only way to figure out if the installation company has the same standards as you, is to see the work in person. Seams, stretch marks, dimples, gaps, other film distortions, and at times razor cuts in the paint can make owners think twice about ever getting Clear Bras again. We see this often as we end up redoing a lot of work from other companies.

Although it is a luxury to have the entire car protected, the areas most prone to damage is the full front end and rocker panels. Those are the most popular with our Model 3 customers.

0.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
m3_03.jpg

I didn't see many reviews on TMC, but used a local installer for Llumar PPF (same film as Suntek I believe) at Transparent Glass Coatings in Soquel. They were great to work with and did an excellent job and had great pricing too. Had the full front done Bumper/Fenders/Hood plus their wear and tear package that includes mirrors/headlamps/door edges/trunk lip/door handles all for 1639.

I did my own polishing of the front end to fix a few flaws. They do use templates, but only a few edges or seams are visible. They mentioned they have done about a dozen Model 3s by now and when I scheduled they had a 3 week backlog.

• Helpful
Reactions: MissyMcBee
I will just add that I had my M3 wrapped with Suntek PPF (almost a full wrap). A week after having it wrapped, a dude cut me off on Highway 1, and sprayed a bunch of decent sized rocks up at my car. They would have definitely chipped the paint and possibly even worse, but the PPF completely saved the front end of my car. Not a single chip or dent in the front. I did. however, have a small nick in the windshield (which obviously doesn’t have protection). Definitely worth the money for peace of mind.

Reactions: akidesir
I will just add that I had my M3 wrapped with Suntek PPF (almost a full wrap). A week after having it wrapped, a dude cut me off on Highway 1, and sprayed a bunch of decent sized rocks up at my car. They would have definitely chipped the paint and possibly even worse, but the PPF completely saved the front end of my car. Not a single chip or dent in the front. I did. however, have a small nick in the windshield (which obviously doesn’t have protection). Definitely worth the money for peace of mind.

May I know where did you got your M3 wrapped? And how much did it cost? I'm still debating whether I wanna spend another 10% of the car price to get the full wrap. I heard that some people (not M3 car though) only get their bumpers wrapped.

PS - there were a few places where rocks had left marks, but within a day in the sun, the
May I know where did you got your M3 wrapped? And how much did it cost? I'm still debating whether I wanna spend another 10% of the car price to get the full wrap. I heard that some people (not M3 car though) only get their bumpers wrapped.

I got it wrapped on the mid-peninsula (I can PM you the place if you want). I was quoted $1500 for the full front (full hood, front bumper, lights, mirrors, front quarter panels). $1850 for the full front plus rear bumper. $250 per door. $3320 for the entire car minus the trunk lid, the part above the side windows, and the rocker panels. $5000 for the full wrap. I figured it wasn’t worth the extra $1700 just for the trunk, rocker panels, and piece above the side windows, so I did the $3320 option. It was a full custom job without any seams except where I had him cut the rear quarter panel wrap at the rocker panel (but you really can’t tell).

I figured the full front would protect from rock chips, the rear bumper would protect from bad parallel parkers, the doors would protect against people banging their doors in parking lots, and rear quarter panels would protect against poor driving (I once clipped a parking lot post on my last car’s rear quarter panel by accident).

PS - there were a few places where rocks had left marks, but within a day in the sun, the

I got it wrapped on the mid-peninsula (I can PM you the place if you want). I was quoted $1500 for the full front (full hood, front bumper, lights, mirrors, front quarter panels). $1850 for the full front plus rear bumper. $250 per door. $3320 for the entire car minus the trunk lid, the part above the side windows, and the rocker panels. $5000 for the full wrap. I figured it wasn’t worth the extra $1700 just for the trunk, rocker panels, and piece above the side windows, so I did the $3320 option. It was a full custom job without any seams except where I had him cut the rear quarter panel wrap at the rocker panel (but you really can’t tell).

I figured the full front would protect from rock chips, the rear bumper would protect from bad parallel parkers, the doors would protect against people banging their doors in parking lots, and rear quarter panels would protect against poor driving (I once clipped a parking lot post on my last car’s rear quarter panel by accident).

Yes, please PM me the place! I like the idea of not wrapping the trunk. I strongly agree with you that it's not really worth it or necessary and $3320 seems petty reasonable/affordable to me. By the way, did they do a good job?