Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Double check your child car seat, especially after service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On July 3rd my wife had a dealer appointment for an oil change on her car, so I was loading my 3yo into the car seat in my Model 3 so we could drive my wife back home after dropping off the car, and something felt off as i was tightening the restraints. Luckily I investigated further and found the seat belt was completely loose and I could move the child seat multiple inches off the actual seat. At first i thought maybe some passenger in the back seat had accidentally undone the seat belt, but it was buckled in still. Also due to coronavirus I can't even remember the last time I had an adult back there. I also thought maybe something was wrong with the seat belt locking mechanism, but when i pulled the belt out all the way and tested it, it seemed to be working fine. I also noticed some other odd things: the seat protector i had under it was shifted to a position I would not have left it in, the top strap of the seat protector was also totally loose. Also, I had taken the car out the prior weekend and noticed the extra length of strap from the top tether was hanging down over the child seat, but at the time I had assumed it must have just fallen down, although normally I roll them up and tuck them behind the car set.

After all that I remembered I had taken the car in to get the FSD computer installed on June 23th. Obviously i don't know for certain it was the cause, but it seems the most likely. I don't know why they would have removed the child set in order to install the computer, but maybe this is expected? Has anyone else experienced this? I would have much preferred if they had to remove the child seat to just leave it laying in the back seat unconnected. I must have driven at least once with my daughter in that seat, incorrectly installed. I don't know if I should contact Tesla about this since i'm not 100% certain about the cause, and I already filled out the survey they send (everything else about the service was fantastic).

I've always taken the car seats completely out of the car while in service, just so there's no chance it hinders their ability to perform service. Usually I need to do it anyway so I can put it right into the loaner vehicle once I drop off the car.

After all that I remembered I had taken the car in to get the FSD computer installed on June 23th. Obviously i don't know for certain it was the cause, but it seems the most likely. I don't know why they would have removed the child set in order to install the computer, but maybe this is expected?

I believe that they have to remove the lower back seat cushion to disconnect the HV battery while they are replacing the computer.

• Informative
Reactions: stonelance
I believe that they have to remove the lower back seat cushion to disconnect the HV battery while they are replacing the computer.

This. There are a lot of components located under the rear seat and they need to remove the seat to get to them. The first time I brought in my car, they had to remove the chld seat and placed it in the trunk. Odd that they would try to reinstall the seat.

I would recommend to everyone to remove any child seats before getting serviced.