Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA - Suntek Ultra PPF + Ceramic = no self healing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was moving around 70 MPH with my hit. I was hoping your would say 90 MHP or such. I want to be fair to products but if I were in your shoes I would be very unhappy. Is there any dent at all in the metal? I just don't understand how you could lose a chunk of material like that. With my last car I had one spot that was like that but was half that size but it was a strong front end impact in the plastic area. But the front on my WRX took a huge beating from all the trucks on i71 and the gravel trucks from Grove City to 315 in Columbus and it only failed in one spot that was smaller then yours.

If I hear or see a rock strike I hit the record button on my dashcam. I've done it twice so far.

That looks weird. My last car had Xpel and Opticoat Pro where I encountered a rock storm..Perhaps Xpel is a better product?

I had nearly the exact same thing happen about a week ago in the morning driving to work. An uncovered dump truck hit a pothole (or something) and tossed a bunch of gravel onto I90 at 60+ MPH. I always avoid driving near big rigs/buses/shitkicker trucks but I heard it pelt my car even 50+ feet back and 2 lanes over.

My windshield took a serious etching and 1 small ding but the nose sounded like it took the brunt of it. When I got to work and assessed the damage there were some minor dust marks, but they came out 100% in the next wash. I was already sold on Xpel but that really helped build my confidence in the product.

I vaguely remember reading, when I was researching between Xpel and Suntek, that the films are the same thickness but the adhesive Xpel uses is thicker. Maybe the thicker adhesive will help absorb more of an impact, but I’d wager it has more to do with the individual rock and angle thrown than Xpel vs Suntek. Sometimes you just get unlucky and a rock tears the PPF. The way I’ve come to terms with my tear is, I bought a product to protect/reduce damage to my vehicles paint. Though now torn in the tiny spot, I’m certain the film did its job and prevented what should have been significantly more damage. I understand the anguish though, at first I was pretty upset with my tear as well.

I was moving around 70 MPH with my hit. I was hoping your would say 90 MHP or such. I want to be fair to products but if I were in your shoes I would be very unhappy. Is there any dent at all in the metal? I just don't understand how you could lose a chunk of material like that. With my last car I had one spot that was like that but was half that size but it was a strong front end impact in the plastic area. But the front on my WRX took a huge beating from all the trucks on i71 and the gravel trucks from Grove City to 315 in Columbus and it only failed in one spot that was smaller then yours.

If I hear or see a rock strike I hit the record button on my dashcam. I've done it twice so far.

The metal doesn't appear to be dented.

Rock strikes on the highway are incredibly common occurrence in Denver area. One of the reasons I wanted PPF on at least the front portions of the car was to prevent it from getting the crap beat out of it.