Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public attention in the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to pick up a CPO Tesla. I live in a small rural Alabama town that is rather low income, but the people are very good and crime is low. I have never seen a Tesla here--I doubt there is even one owned within 50 miles. I know these are not super cars but should I except any negative attention? I assume its perfectly ok to park these vehicles in supermarket parking lots without concern right?

I am about to pick up a CPO Tesla. I live in a small rural Alabama town that is rather low income, but the people are very good and crime is low. I have never seen a Tesla here--I doubt there is even one owned within 50 miles. I know these are not super cars but should I except any negative attention? I assume its perfectly ok to park these vehicles in supermarket parking lots without concern right?

Well, I have a little farm in rural Alabama...near Red Level...so if I am at the farm and see you I might do a double take, but I would assume that most everyone else won't even notice it. The folk who live in my part of Alabama probably know generally about electric cars but wouldn't have an opinion positive or negative.

I find people to be more curious than anything else. You're now an ambassador (if you want to be). My passenger's seat has hosted a beer truck delivery guy, a junk shop owner, the tattoo-covered guy who unloads metal at the scrapyard, a coworker, a motel maintenance guy, my real estate agent, a bartender, the contractor who re-did my bathroom, and others. (Two, for sure, became Tesla owners.)
I have heard of bad experiences, but I think that's just life. I've seen instances of vandalism on here, but it could be random or maybe the target ticked somebody off somehow.
In short, don't worry and maybe have fun talking to people.

PS: People probably will ask you how much it costs, so be ready for that one.

Well, I have a little farm in rural Alabama...near Red Level...so if I am at the farm and see you I might do a double take, but I would assume that most everyone else won't even notice it. The folk who live in my part of Alabama probably know generally about electric cars but wouldn't have an opinion positive or negative.

Thats down in Covington County right? I used to drive through there all the time on my way to Destin. I am a bit north of Bham. I figured there would be a pretty good chance most people wouldnt even notice it as it looks very similar to a standard sedan.

I am a pretty friendly guy so I have no trouble talking to curious people. I was just concerned about negative attention such as jealous vandalism etc.

Thats down in Covington County right? I used to drive through there all the time on my way to Destin. I am a bit north of Bham. I figured there would be a pretty good chance most people wouldnt even notice it as it looks very similar to a standard sedan.

I am a pretty friendly guy so I have no trouble talking to curious people. I was just concerned about negative attention such as jealous vandalism etc.

Yep, that is it. My brother lives in Navarre and when he retired from the Air Force a few years ago he wanted to buy some land for a farm nearby. It just happened that the best piece of property was a bit northwest of him. So we went in 50/50 on the land and I get some pretty good steaks out of the deal every year (we raise Florida Cracker cattle). I really don't think you're going to have issues in Alabama. You might have problems if you go to Destin during spring break, for reasons entirely unrelated to the car you're driving.

+1 on the cost question. Say you bought it used, real cheap and leave it at that. Unless charging, most people won’t recognize it.

I tell folks I got my S used, which is true. I tell my Texas relatives it cost as much as a nice truck. Because it did. They seem to accept spending upwards of $70k on a tricked out truck or nice SUV as relatively “normal” so it puts it into perspective. Even in small towns.

I don't know. Resentment over class differences is getting bigger. I certainly don't dress or behave like it but I'm the 'rich guy' in my neighborhood. Wooded acre in a neighborhood of class C houses and a Tesla, and I'm home all day.

Most are friendly but for some I'm the skunk at the party. Nothing I can do about their choices.

When asked: "How much?" I usually answer in comparative terms and not in figures.
Like: "A little bit less than my previous Mercedes", or "But, I DO NOT PAY FOR GAS!!!!!! (and insurance cost is lower, and ownership tax is negligible, and I'm allowed in town center gratis even if there is congestion/pollution charges, and I always find parking space at the EVs reserved charging spot even when the parking garage is packed full, etc.etc.)"

Basically, make them see the bright side of it, and skip on what they will perceive as negative.

I think it really depends on a lot of factors. I live in a big city so I can't say about rural experiences. But I think generally, you just want to treat it pretty much like any other car, don't be a dick and take up two parking spaces or drive slow in the fast lane or fast in the slow lane, etc. I tell anyone who asks that I got it used and got a great deal.

Anyone that’s more than just idly curious can find out the new cost easily.

People unfamiliar with the car will stop and ask questions. When I’ve been charging in areas where the car is unusual, people have pulled in just to see the car and ask questions. Most people who ask about price just want an idea of the cost, they don’t specifically ask what I paid.

If they ask, I tell them it is an expensive car. If they persist, and they usually don’t, I tell them that new they start in the $80’s. Used are less. They seem more interested in range, performance, where the batteries are, and lack of need for oil changes/maintenance than anything else. I mention what a delight they are to drive, the instant torque, the low center of gravity, the simplicity of the drive chain, etc. I also mention that the car company isn’t perfect and that there are real problems with parts if the car is damaged and needs repair. I mention the car has its own Internet connection, that the car plays any music I can think of, and that it will do some limited self driving. I tell them it is all wheel drive. People are interested in the charging, whether it is fully electric or a hybrid. I tell them the car is great as a second car but maybe not perfect as an only car. They are interested in the superchargers. Maybe I’m lucky but I have never had to wait at a supercharger. I tell them the gas milage equivalent is about 100 mpg when compared to a gasoline car. I have unlimited supercharging so I tell them I can drive to California and back and not spend a penny for fuel. They are interested in charging time on trips and I tell them charging does make travel slower but for me the 20-30 minute break every 2-3 hours makes travel less tiring. I mention the A/C is completely separate from the drive chain so in the summer I can cool the car remotely using my cell phone so there is no getting into a very hot car and waiting for the car to cool inside. I mention the car will automatically cool itself inside when parked in the summer sun so it doesn’t get that hot inside anyway.

I moved to Michigan. Here I mention the car is fully U.S. built. People seem less interested in that than I’d thought they’d be. They ask about performance in ice and snow, it isn’t very good without snow tires.

With all the questions, the price isn’t usually the main concern so I wouldn’t worry about it. People know it is an expensive car. You can mention the tax credit if you want but usually the price question isn’t the main subject, they are more interested in what makes the car different from other cars.

So overall I wouldn’t worry about the price aspect of it. That isn’t why they’re asking. They are interested in the technology so those are the questions you should expect. People aren’t stopping to be critical of you for buying an expensive car, they are much more interested in the car itself.

Reactions: Langhorne
I always get asked the 'wrong question': How long does that thing take to charge up? Fun answer is about 3 seconds to plug it in at home and never go to a gas station again. The real answer is not what they wanted to know anyway: "duration depends on current SOC, charger voltage/amperage, batter temp, and range needed".

• Love
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I concur, the questions I've gotten from excited people have been, in order (and my typical answer) -

"Cool! How far can you drive before you have to recharge?" (85D, so 270 miles)
"How long does it take to charge?" (On 240V 40A, 30 miles of range an hour, but I charge overnight so I'm always full in the morning)
"Aren't these super expensive, like $120k?" (The 680HP performance vehicles can get pricey, but mine cost much less)

I'll be honest I tend to keep my car out of areas where I know people will be drunk around the car... Means can't use the car for music gigs, don't take it to concerts unless they're pretty low-key, sporting events I'll take the car if I know the area I'm parking in, etc.

My first concern is vandalism (not conservative EV haters, but just plain haters of all types that will damage anything nicer than they have).. Most conservative types are just going to roll their eyes at you, not try and physically damage the car. I call this my first concern because it can be done quickly and cost you big time with how much these cars are to fix. I personally had someone run a shopping cart into my car at the grocery store (yes on purpose) but the dent pulled out very well and was nearly impossible to see after repair Mostly you'll just get questions and genuine curiosity from all walks of life, which if you enjoy chit chatting like I do it's actually pretty cool.

2nd concern Smash and grabbers - lots of this happening in California because thieves have caught on how to get inside the car without setting off the standard alarm.. I think that's why Tesla is starting to offer the upgraded motion based alarm as an add-on. Solution: Keep all valuable stuff out of sight (use the glovebox or the hidden area in the trunk or if visible in the trunk the parcel shelf might be a good idea)... tinted windows helps too.

Park near security cameras in well lit areas... consider a dash cam with front and rear and make sure it has motion based or continuous recording even when the car is parked.

Last edited:
When asked the charge time question I reply...about 20 minutes when I am traveling, but usually just charge up at home overnight.

Try not to get bogged down by all the "it depends" options.

ICE owners sometimes ask just to justify their decision to buy their current ICE vehicle.

Reactions: morrisdl