Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Puddle of water in my parking spot. Could it be from my Model S? I

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
As I am unsure as to what is used in cooling circuits and such, I am mildly concerned about a puddle I just discovered in my parking spot in the garage underneath the building at home.

Facts:
  • On Tuesday, while driving up the 280 at the end of the day, I ran over a chunk of concrete with the right front.
  • It made the worst noise I have ever heard, and I was pretty freaked out. So was my passenger.
  • As the tire pressures held fast, the car was not complaining about anything and no vibration was present, we drove on.
  • Upon getting home, we inspected the car, and could not spot any damage to the underside or battery. Yes!
  • Drove 90 miles to and from work yesterday and today, no issues.
  • Charged like normal at work for 6-7 hours on both days (6.6 kW)
  • When getting home this afternoon, I noticed a large puddle in my parking spot (3x2 feet).
  • Looks and feels like water, with a bit of a metallic smell to it.
  • Had not seen that yesterday night. Am not looking there when pulling out in the morning.
  • It rained a lot today (!), and am assuming this is a leak in the building somewhere.

I checked the car again, cannot spot any damage underneath.
Is there any reason to think this could come from the car? I seriously doubt it, but am planning a 1000 mile road trip in a few days, and if I need to have this checked out, that would have be tomorrow...

Last edited:
Tesla Adds Titanium Underbody Shield and Aluminum Deflector Plates to Model S | Tesla Motors

I know that doesn't answer your water question, but it should give you some piece of mind. Also it's frigging cool as hell.

That said, if it was raining you probably tracked water into the garage which dripped down and pooled under the car, and/or AC condensation.
Shield is cool.
I came back after the rain, to find the puddle. My car could not have brought in rain water. Sorry if that was not clear.

- - - Updated - - -

Could be condensation from the AC compressor.
I barely used HVAC, and leave it, and A/C off all the time. Weather is cool right now.

- - - Updated - - -

I live in Florida and it is very common for my Tesla to leave a puddle everywhere I go. It's an AC thing!
A/c has been off for days.

Had a loaner leak brown, must have scared the **** out of it :biggrin:

IMG_0540.jpg

Shield is cool.
I came back after the rain, to find the puddle. My car could not have brought in rain water. Sorry if that was not clear.

- - - Updated - - -

I barely used HVAC, and leave it, and A/C off all the time. Weather is cool right now.

- - - Updated - - -

A/c has been off for days.

If you use window defogger it automagically turns on AC for you to dehumidify the air.

Yikes! Hope all is well. Sounds like the car is fine. You should do a write-up when you get back from the trip!
I will. The trip planning is happening here: To fly or not to fly. Another SF-LA trip thread. Now with Autopilot!

- - - Updated - - -

Folks, thanks for your replies and the comedic relief!
I found the culprit, and it was rain water coming through the building. Found a soft spot in the ceiling of the garage area. HOA is now on it.

I never actually checked my windshield fluid level in the car though... :wink: