Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled over in new Model X after 15-20 years of hassle free driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the thing about a cop making a traffic stop. He has a gun and there are dozens of cops around the country shot while doing a traffic stop, so the cop is rightly nervous. I want him as calm as can be so I do all I can to not increase any anxiety. I tint my windows legally. I lower the window, put my wallet on the dash and my hands on the top of the wheel. Increases my chances of getting a warning and also keeps me from a bad day with a copy who may have already had a bad day. You can read daily about bad encounters between citizens and cops when a little less anxiety and a lot less lip would have kept a situation safe.

We don't pay our cops (and many others) enough for the value of their work so some less intelligent folks slip through the vetting. Get that guy on a bad day and then make him nervous with your tint and attitude and you are the dumb one as well as the cop.

Remember, the cop does not have to shoot you for you to have a bad day. He can decide between a regular ticket and reckless driving. He can decide you to be arrested and taken in and your car towed. If the appearance of your car is worth more then good luck to you. You will need it one day.

Absolutely!!

When agents of the state are unlawfully executing people on a regular basis and not being held accountable? Yes. I think that is perfectly acceptable.

Agents of the state? Cute. It turns out that most of the time if you do what is asked of you and not resist they do not need to use force. I will agree there are always a few bad one, but many more bad people on the other side.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
You can avoid skin cancer with a 80% tint too. UV and IR blocking film blocks light you don't see anyway.

Yes, that would provide good skin cancer protection, but then you wouldn't be able to think that you're the cool kid on the block because of your tinted windows and justify it by claiming it's for your health.

I don't think that laws against tinted windows are primarily there for law enforcement benefit. If that were the case, then they'd prohibit tinting of rear windows as well. As someone that frequently rides a bicycle, and to a lesser extent walk on the sidewalk, I can tell you that tinted windows present a very real danger to non-automobile users of the road. Getting hit at even low speed by a car, which would be a minor fender-bender if you are also a car, can easily be fatal if you're on a bicycle or on foot. When on foot or a bike, there are many cases where it's necessary that I see the eyes of a car driver in order to know if it's safe to proceed. That is, do they know I'm there? Until I can establish that that's the case, it can be very dangerous for me to proceed in many situations even if I have the right of way.