Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pull over immediately => Front Motor disabled OK to drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I am getting into my LR 2020 Model 3 the other day and I am greeted with a red "Pull over immediately, unable to drive" while parked. I tried rebooting, exiting and re-entering (silly, but as instructed) - nothing changes. Eventually this changes to "Front Motor Disabled "OK to Drive"" which oscillates with the red "unable to drive", message. The "OK To drive" message has a 'learn more' button which points at a manual page on error Dl_a138

I see some mentions here, so asking:
- Who do I believe? the red (pull over immediately) message or the yellow message (OK to drive) - they repeatedly show, replacing each other
- Since I am driving a bit (and will need to drive to my service appointment in ONE WEEK AWAY (earliest I could find) - anyway to disable the red message and its insistent beeping?

[limiting my driving and staying off highways of course]

I recommend driving or getting towed to the nearest service center. Problems like this will get prioritized compared to creating a service request in the app. If the problem gets worse, the car might further restrict your ability to drive; plan accordingly.

edit: I forgot to mention that this is a drive unit/inverter error, although I don't know what the specific problem is.

If it says unable to drive at any point contact Roadside Assistance.
^^^ This. Contact Roadside Assistance. And be sure the tow driver knows how to take carry of a Tesla.

The different error messages could be about different components -- front drive unit, high voltage fuse ("Pyrotechnic Battery Disconnect"), etc. It's a hard problem to combine such recommendations smartly and test it in all combined failure cases.

In 2021 we were driving on the freeway when an error popped up that one drive unit failed, OK to drive. Then a second error about the car shutting down, pull over safely. Then the first error again, OK to drive. Fortunately traffic was light and there was a shoulder to pull onto.

This happened to me about three weeks ago to my M3 2021 LR. The turtle icon shows up and tells me the front motor is disabled (so everyone with one motor has a turtle car according to Tesla), but you can drive the vehicle. I booked an appointment two weeks out and they finally took a look and told me it was a harness issue. They went ahead and repaired it, not replaced it. Then my frunk wouldn't close completely, so the car thought I was driving with the hood up, so it limited my speed to 15mph.

I had to have it towed to the tesla service center and they had to replace the front trunk unit which holds the hood down securely. I don't know if the two issues were related, but you never know.

They did give me a loaner the first visit, a model s, which I liked since it feels like a sports car. Have to love the front display.

The car has been behaving so far, but this begs the question, what else needs to be serviced after more than two years of ownership, or before the warranty expires.

They did give me a loaner the first visit, a model s, which I liked since it feels like a sports car. Have to love the front display.
The SC was nice to loan us a model S to continue our trip while waiting for the parts (a week and a half). It was in Chill mode, though.

BTW, if Tesla can debug @ugilad's car remotely or via mobile service, that could be quicker and easier.