Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled over in new Model X after 15-20 years of hassle free driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you kidding????

No. Is there some sort of police officer draft that I am unaware of?

Don’t like not being able to look inside people’s vehicles? Don’t be a cop.

99.9% of all activity occurring in vehicles with tinted windows is legal. The majority of us don’t need to be punished because some cops feel scared doing their jobs.

Reactions: mxnym
@davezforce Interesting that you have had a much different experience, and my one account hardly indicates a trend. It is just was just interesting to me and thought I would share. Nice to know that your experience is a lot like many others I have heard though. I think this office just "noticed" me more because of the look of the car, saw the tint and decided to pull me over for it. If it becomes a problem, I will just have it removed and replaced with something super light (as to be hardly noticeable) but still give me some added UV/IR protection.

@davezforce Interesting that you have had a much different experience, and my one account hardly indicates a trend. It is just was just interesting to me and thought I would share. Nice to know that your experience is a lot like many others I have heard though. I think this office just "noticed" me more because of the look of the car, saw the tint and decided to pull me over for it. If it becomes a problem, I will just have it removed and replaced with something super light (as to be hardly noticeable) but still give me some added UV/IR protection.
Yea I think you’ll be ok, the X is cool looking and with your wrap the cop was prb like wtf is that I want to check it out (I would at least) lol. If it becomes a problem, you could always step the front sides down to 35% before you give up on it entirely.

He just wanted to see an X up close!
Tint Love!
20190512_152257.jpg
20190512_152257.jpg
20190329_174141.jpg

I only asked for specs, not for brand. I trusted him to use a good film that provided IR/UV protection, not just blocking visible light. For the windshield I just asked for the lightest tint that provided the extra IR/UV protection in one piece.

Very nice @GalaxySurfer!

Mine looks nearly identical. My chrome delete is gloss to give it a little contrast against the mat, and the lighting makes it hard to be sure, but yours looks black, where mine is Midnight Silver Metallic.
Yeah, mine was midnight silver metallic, but i vinyl wrapped it matte black, tinted front windows to match the back

Reactions: Daisame
Here I go....resurrecting old threads. I’ve always found NJ tint laws and front license plate requirements bloody insane. Technology now allows rear plates to be scanned and photographed since Pennsylvania drivers don’t have this dilemma. So why not get rid of that dumb requirement. Serves no purpose. Except to make your car look like crap with front plates. In most cases drill holes in it for that plate holder.

Reactions: davezforce
I hate really dark tinted windows on the front door windows When I got my Truck all the windows were very dark. One of the first things I did was have the door window tint removed and the lightest tint put on them. It is hard to see at night with the very dark tint especially when it's raining hard.

Here I go....resurrecting old threads. I’ve always found NJ tint laws and front license plate requirements bloody insane. Technology now allows rear plates to be scanned and photographed since Pennsylvania drivers don’t have this dilemma. So why not get rid of that dumb requirement. Serves no purpose. Except to make your car look like crap with front plates. In most cases drill holes in it for that plate holder.

That sounds good until someone rear ends you and takes off. Tesla Dashcam would’ve nailed them... That’s what makes me think front plates have value.

I hate really dark tinted windows on the front door windows When I got my Truck all the windows were very dark. One of the first things I did was have the door window tint removed and the lightest tint put on them. It is hard to see at night with the very dark tint especially when it's raining hard.

I hear you! I am looking to perhaps reduce the heat while parked in the sun. Dark interior just attracts and captures heat. I was waiting at a drive thru the other day, and back seat felt hot enough to fry an egg on top of it. Lighter tint will also be easier to look outside at night..

Not even about states but rather parts of states where crime is glorified and accepted.

When I was a child I went to school with a family who's father was a police officer and was executed during a routine traffic stop.

The comparison of cars to homes is idiotic at best for a lot of reasons.

The victim mentality of many here is nauseating, rather than fixate on had the X to Ted for days and got stopped how about " got away with tint a couple decades and finally caught up with me".

EVERYONE who is honest will admit they have not been stopped when they deserved it a hundred times, speeding, not signalling properly, spacing and buzzing thru a stop light as it turns red etc.
Don't cry about it the one time you do get pulled over when doing something wrong.
And this is why I've become a fan of speed/traffic cameras. Just mail me a ticket instead of requiring a pullover. Far safer for everybody involved.

Here's the thing about a cop making a traffic stop. He has a gun and there are dozens of cops around the country shot while doing a traffic stop, so the cop is rightly nervous. I want him as calm as can be so I do all I can to not increase any anxiety. I tint my windows legally. I lower the window, put my wallet on the dash and my hands on the top of the wheel. Increases my chances of getting a warning and also keeps me from a bad day with a copy who may have already had a bad day. You can read daily about bad encounters between citizens and cops when a little less anxiety and a lot less lip would have kept a situation safe.

We don't pay our cops (and many others) enough for the value of their work so some less intelligent folks slip through the vetting. Get that guy on a bad day and then make him nervous with your tint and attitude and you are the dumb one as well as the cop.

Remember, the cop does not have to shoot you for you to have a bad day. He can decide between a regular ticket and reckless driving. He can decide you to be arrested and taken in and your car towed. If the appearance of your car is worth more then good luck to you. You will need it one day.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
No. Is there some sort of police officer draft that I am unaware of?

Don’t like not being able to look inside people’s vehicles? Don’t be a cop.

99.9% of all activity occurring in vehicles with tinted windows is legal. The majority of us don’t need to be punished because some cops feel scared doing their jobs.

Really? Someone has to uphold the laws and they deserve to do it safely. You probably think its ok to riot and burn other people's property too.

• Disagree
Reactions: shinytop and glide