Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled the trigger Tesla solar and 3 powerwalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I believe in explaining if I click disagree....

What I am disagreeing with, is someone OUT OF THE COUNTRY, saying "just open your windows during the summer" without any real clue of what the weather where that poster is..... unless you have also lived where that poster lives?

Really. The warmest month in Auckland is Feb. with an average high of 76F. It's a bit warmer version of San Fransisco.

They can only fit a medium system on my roof. Not sure if it’s worth it.

Attachments

• 86DD37D1-3D48-4907-BF8E-136A86BD0109.png
    86DD37D1-3D48-4907-BF8E-136A86BD0109.png
    438.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I’m doing the same thing a medium system (large won’t fit either) with three powerwalls. We had seven days of no power last month courtesy of PG&E so I’m driven by backup plus wanted solar. I’m flipping some 20+ year old natural gas/electric infrastructure like HVAC and water heaters to modern heat pump systems to drop our electrical usage too.

Awesome - I'm sure it's obvious but switching from gas to electric (even if efficient heat pump systems) will for sure increase your electrical usage - so worth noting what will be part of the backup circuit when Tesla provide a design.

The whole 'electrify everything' movement is the best way to power our homes from renewables - but I have also found that roof space becomes the limiting factor. Especially if and EV or 2 are in the home.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
I’m doing the same thing a medium system (large won’t fit either) with three powerwalls. We had seven days of no power last month courtesy of PG&E so I’m driven by backup plus wanted solar. I’m flipping some 20+ year old natural gas/electric infrastructure like HVAC and water heaters to modern heat pump systems to drop our electrical usage too.
I feel for you Nor Cal folks with your outages and high rates. Getting a M3 next month and have signed a contract for a 6.27 kw solar system, that may be installed in January or February. We haven’t had significant electrical outages in our area yet so I couldn’t justify the battery. We have been pretty frugal electric users and couldn’t justify solar until we ordered the EV. Will evaluate our usage once we get everything online.

Awesome - I'm sure it's obvious but switching from gas to electric (even if efficient heat pump systems) will for sure increase your electrical usage - so worth noting what will be part of the backup circuit when Tesla provide a design.

I have wondered about that also. We had a heat pump in a previously home and hated it because the air they delivered was lukewarm. Often we switched on the emergency heat which eat a ton of electricity. So in our current home we have gas fired forced air which delivers nice warm air. Also, it uses only the fans motor to deliver that warm air.