Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Puncture !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, need some help please. Had a puncture tonight in my model s. Managed to limp to a kwikfit and they have said they cannot replace the tyre and that Tesla need to do it as it's a special process. Had to leave my car there and get the train home as nearest Tesla garage had gone home. Anyone have any ideas or guidance here ? Thanks.

It may be in the manual but there's also something about the torque of the lug nuts. I believe it's pretty high, a search on here or google will elicit more I'm sure. I've also recently read in a thread on winter tyres that kwik fit are perfectly capable of changing Tesla wheels/tyres.

135NM iirc and any competent tyre shop can change Tesla tyres.

If you have to jack the car yourself, you will need a trolley jack not some cheapo jack as usually supplied with ICE cars, preferably with a puck or pad to prevent the rubber pad on the car getting damaged. Sometimes the car can be too low to get this under with a flat. With SAS set the suspension to high initially then when the jack is in place set the suspension to Jack mode on the display, to prevent the car trying to self level. Also be careful not to put the jack too far under the car as you can end up lifting via the battery which is not good.

If you are stranded you can call Tesla roadside assistance who will come out with a replacement wheel/tyre for you.

Useful if they are close enough to you to be practical, but note as I found out to my cost that they will only replace the wheel/tyre if they have the same brand in stock as you have fitted to your car and will also only offer this service if the tyres are factory fit or have been replaced by one of their SCs (which approx 50% more expensive than your local tyre shop! - so much for SCs not being a proift center for Tesla).
Replace tyres due to wear at your local tyre shop and Tesla will refuse to fit a replacement, but will tow you instead, which is sort of okay but only if you have time to waste.

Cheaping out by not supplying 80K vehicles with a tyre repair kit is complete madness imho and certain to infuriate unwary owners usually very much at an inconvenient moment.

I try not to use the sealant if possible but have it as a back-up. I don't know how handy you are but a tire repair kit is easy work for a nail type puncture. I put a plug in my S tire (It's spelled with an i) :) about a month ago for a nail. Pull the nail out, put the plug in. Simple. No more loss of air and I have no worries about performance or the plug falling out. Works well and best of all the kit is $10.
Of course if it's a side wall puncture your out of luck. Some people don't like putting plugs in and I don't know why. Been doing it for years and never had an issue.

Reactions: cheshire cat
135NM iirc and any competent tyre shop can change Tesla tyres.

If you have to jack the car yourself, you will need a trolley jack not some cheapo jack as usually supplied with ICE cars, preferably with a puck or pad to prevent the rubber pad on the car getting damaged. Sometimes the car can be too low to get this under with a flat. With SAS set the suspension to high initially then when the jack is in place set the suspension to Jack mode on the display, to prevent the car trying to self level. Also be careful not to put the jack too far under the car as you can end up lifting via the battery which is not good.

If you are stranded you can call Tesla roadside assistance who will come out with a replacement wheel/tyre for you.

Useful if they are close enough to you to be practical, but note as I found out to my cost that they will only replace the wheel/tyre if they have the same brand in stock as you have fitted to your car and will also only offer this service if the tyres are factory fit or have been replaced by one of their SCs (which approx 50% more expensive than your local tyre shop! - so much for SCs not being a proift center for Tesla).
Replace tyres due to wear at your local tyre shop and Tesla will refuse to fit a replacement, but will tow you instead, which is sort of okay but only if you have time to waste.

Cheaping out by not supplying 80K vehicles with a tyre repair kit is complete madness imho and certain to infuriate unwary owners usually very much at an inconvenient moment.
Great information thank you for taking time. CN.

Reactions: thegruf
I have the Tesla air pump & sealant accessory in the car (have done for all cars for as long as I can remember, since the manufacturers stopped providing spare tyres). Can't remember whether that mucks-up the TPMS or not, but I expect that a regular compressed gas/sealant can would do.

I put a plug in my S tire (It's spelled with an i)

Over your side of the pond it is, but in the rest of the world its with a "y" ... but I'm a byslexic dastard so no chance of me winning a spelling-B contest!

• Funny
Reactions: Chopr147