Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchase advice needed, 70d new or preowned 85d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say go with the biggest battery that will fit in your budget. For everyday driving 120 miles is easy though even with a 70 it would be easy.

The real question is how often do you go off the supercharger highway ? The "Find Us" page on the Tesla web site will show charging locations with an HPWC. There are more of these every year.

The other option that I have used many times is the RV park with a 50 Amp outlet. Yes they are slow, but they are all over the place and on an overnight stop who cares if they are slow.

What kind of adapter do you need at RV parks?

My 2cents as an owner of a 70D... if I had the extra $ to spend, go with the 85D. It will make long distance trips less anxious. I couldn't justify the extra $10k when I got my 70D and I'm glad I have it but planning a long distance trip is more stressful, especially with the aggressive driving I like to do. You can't go wrong with more range but can you justify the add'l cost?

85D in my opinion. Superchargers are everywhere now and they are great to visit on road trips but when you get somewhere with no charging infrastructure then you don't want to be having to go out of your way to supercharge. Case in point, I went from San Jose to Lake Tahoe. No problems there had plenty of range and supercharger was glorious as usual, but... once in Tahoe there is not much infrastructure and I don't want to go all the way around the lake to charge in Truckee or all the way down the mountain to charge. I was really glad I had my P85. However I certainly recommend getting a D and autopilot car over an older classic car like mine (2012). The software updates are great but not really that exciting without the newer hardware.

There is no doubt you'll be happy with what you get though. Fantastic car!

So, decided to actually go with an inventory 90d, tesla came back with one that only has 3k on it, the basic options (autopilot and premium interior package). Unfortunately no high end stereo or subzero that I wanted but it comes in only 6k more than the 70d we had spec'd out. Figured it was worth giving up the options for the battery. Haven't heard the stock stereo but I hear it is pretty good and figured I could always preheat the car with the app so wouldn't need the subzero... Agreed on a price of 95k before rebates.

Hey man..I recently came across the same cross roads, I had a chance to get a very basic 70 with just sunroof and rear facing car seats..I have 3 kids too (7, 4 & 6)

I came across my cousins P85 (2013 - Rear, fully loaded with 61k miles). New tires and warranty was extended, did my homework to ensure battery warranty and roadside assistance transfers (which it does) and that the extended warranty will transfer (it still does). I paid 55k vs the 70k or more I would end up paying in addition to taxes and all drive off fees and I have the high end vehicle. The different in the cost with tax rebates for me justified it and does not tie me down financially. I don't think you can go wrong with either Tesla..but another thing i was told by my cousin is regardless what i do..go for the big battery..and right now there are no 90 rear wheels being made because wife wanted the larger frunk. Being in NJ you might need the all wheel drive.

I'm looking into Diono car seats which are the narrowest because the rear facing freaks the wife out a little bit. The auto-pilot was great but it was not worth to me the extra thousands.

Hope that helps.