Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

purchase conundrum of used Model X...incentive enclosed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so we unfortunately lost our Model S in an accident (everyone was ok) but have decided to move to a model X as our family is also expanding, I've been trying to stay within the budget of the insurance payout which was in the mid 80's. I spoke with Tesla several times and apparently they have over 50 used Model X 90Ds in the 72-85k price range but aren't allowed to sell them because they are short on loaner cars as I was told by sales associates in several market areas after doing some research. This is so annoying but part of me understands.

I've also been searching through every classified site out there, there are plenty of 2016 Model X 90Ds for sale although people want 90k+ for them which I find sort of crazy as I can buy an inventory 100D for 92k after the rebates with AP2.

I already posted on the wanted and sales forum but figured I'd touch base on here if anyone is upgrading to an AP2 car and is looking to sell their 90D or P90D for 75-85k.

I have been successful at finding perfect cars for around 85k but every time I go and do my research online about the dealerships, they have all kinds of red flags from past customers so just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on these. In addition they always have like 1-3k miles on them which is also a red flag for a buy back as why would they be used with so few miles. Would much rather wait on Tesla to release their service loaners and stay in my rental car for which I have 2 months left on insurance or hopefully find someone on here that is about to trade their car in on a newer version...

any help or leads would be appreciated, if someone does have a lead that I end up buying be assured there will be some Tesla goodies coming your way up to $500 of your choice...

Thanks again, sorry for the winded post and frustration...

yea, i actually have deposits on 2 of their cars to hold them since it's refundable but with both cars I've called tesla and in both cases they were loaner cars who got in fender benders and had body work done to repair and they couldn't guarantee me the warranty would stay in effect... really disappointing because in both cases I was excited to have found a great car at the perfect price!

so we unfortunately lost our Model S in an accident (everyone was ok) but have decided to move to a model X as our family is also expanding, I've been trying to stay within the budget of the insurance payout which was in the mid 80's. I spoke with Tesla several times and apparently they have over 50 used Model X 90Ds in the 72-85k price range but aren't allowed to sell them because they are short on loaner cars as I was told by sales associates in several market areas after doing some research. This is so annoying but part of me understands.

I've also been searching through every classified site out there, there are plenty of 2016 Model X 90Ds for sale although people want 90k+ for them which I find sort of crazy as I can buy an inventory 100D for 92k after the rebates with AP2.

I already posted on the wanted and sales forum but figured I'd touch base on here if anyone is upgrading to an AP2 car and is looking to sell their 90D or P90D for 75-85k.

I have been successful at finding perfect cars for around 85k but every time I go and do my research online about the dealerships, they have all kinds of red flags from past customers so just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on these. In addition they always have like 1-3k miles on them which is also a red flag for a buy back as why would they be used with so few miles. Would much rather wait on Tesla to release their service loaners and stay in my rental car for which I have 2 months left on insurance or hopefully find someone on here that is about to trade their car in on a newer version...

any help or leads would be appreciated, if someone does have a lead that I end up buying be assured there will be some Tesla goodies coming your way up to $500 of your choice...

Thanks again, sorry for the winded post and frustration...

If you're only looking for a 90D and not a P90D, then I'd also recommend considering a 75D. The mileage difference on a MX is about 20 rated miles at 100%. It drops down to 14-17mi once you factor in daily charging points. With the recent uncorking, performance remains the same between both cars. The value proposition between a 75D and a 90D was never great to begin with, the uncorking makes it even worse.

At a 75D, there's several well equipped ones new from Tesla in inventory that would get you close to $80k after rebates.

On a side note: I've been hearing that there aren't a lot of 90D's as loaners because they're all sold. But I keep seeing them on the lot and not getting delivered. So if they're not getting sold, and they're not getting loaned out; then I'm guessing those cars all need work. Tesla needs a lot of 100D's as loaners given Elon's statements, I wonder if they're working on battery retrofits for all those 90's to upgrade them to 100's.

Reactions: Cowby
I understand not wanting a car that has been in a fender-bender, but honestly, given your financial constraints, what's the big deal?

also, I second the opinion that an uncorked 75D is a better value than a 90D -- although I would have a hard time accepting a car without Active Air Suspension. (but i am not as familiar w\ the X as I am with the S, so it could be that all Xs have AAS regardless of battery size)

I understand not wanting a car that has been in a fender-bender, but honestly, given your financial constraints, what's the big deal?

also, I second the opinion that an uncorked 75D is a better value than a 90D -- although I would have a hard time accepting a car without Active Air Suspension. (but i am not as familiar w\ the X as I am with the S, so it could be that all Xs have AAS regardless of battery size)

The X's all have SAS, coil was never an option. So for the X, there's no difference. I didn't think about the S, but that would only be true for newer models too. My AP2 S 60D has SAS as well.

actually all worked out, Tesla released a bunch of inventory cars and I got what I think is a fair deal on a Model X 90D with 20k on it which is perfect considering the miles I have planned for it over the next couple years. Should be taking delivery in a couple of weeks once they get it prepped and shipped.

Congrats!!