Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing A Model 3 Performance From Inventory? Good Idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Friends!

First time poster, and first time owner (hopefully) of a Tesla. Extremely excited for it!

My delivery process has been somewhat disappointing. I made sure to order an AWD Long Range version just in time for the tax cut in July. Just yesterday (today was supposed to be my delivery date), I receive a call saying that the vehicle had arrived with significant paint damage, and can no longer be delivered. They told me they would assigning me a new VIN, and hopefully try to get me one before July 1st. Things is next week will be really tough for me to pick it up as I live an hour away.

Anyways, I asked if they have any other inventory models I could consider. They have a Performance model with about 2,300 miles in the exact same spec as my AWD, which was black paint, white interior, 19 inch wheels. They are willing to unlock the car (was actually not on sale) and discount around $2,000 - $2,500 off the price. The difference would be around $6,000ish.

Would you consider the upgrade worth it for the 6K? I'm sure the AWD is fast enough for me, but I would never oppose to an even faster car. Secondly, are test drive vehicles usually in good shape? Are they a safe option? I'm sure most of you have much more experience with the subject, and would appreciate any help!

Thank you so much!

I was in the same position, offered a demo P3 car (that had 6k miles on it) for about 6.5k off, vs a new car. I took the demo car.
Hi Friends!

First time poster, and first time owner (hopefully) of a Tesla. Extremely excited for it!

My delivery process has been somewhat disappointing. I made sure to order an AWD Long Range version just in time for the tax cut in July. Just yesterday (today was supposed to be my delivery date), I receive a call saying that the vehicle had arrived with significant paint damage, and can no longer be delivered. They told me they would assigning me a new VIN, and hopefully try to get me one before July 1st. Things is next week will be really tough for me to pick it up as I live an hour away.

Anyways, I asked if they have any other inventory models I could consider. They have a Performance model with about 2,300 miles in the exact same spec as my AWD, which was black paint, white interior, 19 inch wheels. They are willing to unlock the car (was actually not on sale) and discount around $2,000 - $2,500 off the price. The difference would be around $6,000ish.

Would you consider the upgrade worth it for the 6K? I'm sure the AWD is fast enough for me, but I would never oppose to an even faster car. Secondly, are test drive vehicles usually in good shape? Are they a safe option? I'm sure most of you have much more experience with the subject, and would appreciate any help!

Thank you so much!

I bought a 2018 "demo" Performance model that had about 5k of miles on it. This was in January of this year. They gave me 6.5k discount, plus I didn't have to pay an additional 1k of transport fees, so I saved 7.5k overall (not including less sales tax.) I was really hesitant at first because it's not a brand new car, but decided I probably wouldn't care after a few weeks in the car.

I got the car the next day. It had some curb rash, some rock chips, and I later discovered one of the rims was bent on the inside. But since they cherrypicked it off the assembly line most likely, at least it did not have a lot in the way of panel gap or paint issues.

There was a bit of battery degradation too. I'm sure they didn't baby the battery, and a full charge is only 304 or 305 miles when I got it.

Anyway, despite all that I'm still glad I saved the money. It makes me feel better about buying the P model, because originally I planned on the AWD and I was feeling guilty about paying an extra 11k for faster acceleration.

Reactions: Bill Foster
Hi Friends!

Thank you so much!
Yes, 2000 miles is nothing.

I also bought my car (performance model) from inventory, with about 6k miles on it, and got about $6k off. Totally happy with my decision, and totally happy with the car. I knew I wanted the performance model, which is absolutely worth it to me, but that's a personal choice.

Still, I would say, for you and these particulars: probably don't do it. Here are some factors:
  • Tax rebate: Consider that last time a rebate went away, Tesla lowered prices to keep demand even. That might happen again, or not, but at the current amounts I don't think it should drive your decision, although you can weigh it in with the other factors.
  • What version of the Model 3: Again, this is a very personal choice. The performance model is perfect for me, and worth the price difference, for me. But it's a big price difference and a decision that I think should be made separately from just whatever happens to be immediately available.
  • Model year: As others have noted, this is mostly irrelevant if you will not resell the car for a long time, and completely relevant if you might sell it within the foreseeable future.
  • HW 2.5 vs 3: I think this partly depends on whether you get FSD.
  • Miles/wear: This wouldn't bother me, but there is real value here in terms of both depreciation and life taken off the tires and the battery. The discount for it sounds about right, but it's not like you're getting a great "deal".
FWIW, I would guess that the average and cumulative test drivers were less hard on the car than I am, so those miles can be figured the same as if I had driven them. The interior (white in my case) was flawless. The exterior paint was great except for one minor factory blemish that I decided I could live with (my sales advisor put in a service order about it, supposedly, but I never heard anything more and never bothered to follow up). One wheel had some very minor curb rash (on the perpendicular outside of the rim, not on the face of the rim) that I also decided I could live with, and then subsequently I made it worse myself within the first month anyway, ha!

Definitely worth it! I had my mind made up on the AWD LR, had the order placed and was waiting happy as a clam. Until I stepped into the Tesla showroom and scheduled a test drive (figuring it’s probably a good idea to at least drive the car I’m purchasing once before handing over $50k+). Conveniently they only had a performance model to test... they guy let me floor it a few times. All I could think about for the next 24hrs was how awesome the power is. Long story short I rationalized my way into upgrading (well, the wheels come with it so it’s like saving the cost of the upgraded wheels on the AWD...). I couldn’t be happier! I love this thing!

Take the Performance+ and don't look back. I messed up not getting the Performance, but that was before the $5k price drop. I'm actually surprised they still have it and have not discounted it slightly more for the end of the quarter.

Update for OP: I just received a VIN and delivery date (Monday, 6/24) via web and text message. :)
Flow time facts: Ordered LR AWD with FSD, MSM w/White interior, 18" Aero wheels on Father's Day, June 16th. VIN and Delivery Date received early on 6/21. Scheduled Delivery Date of 6/24.

If the delivery holds, total flow for customer order is One week and One day! So, I would suggest (as others have) that you wait for the car you really wanted and ordered - even if you have to order a new one, it's only a week and a day away (if similar to my experience) - And, you get to pocket $6000 (not to mention getting a brand new car). All the best!

I would go see it personally. My friend just did this with a performance model and car had numerous issues.
Front end scraped, underbody shields broken. Car was in CA and shipped here to IL. Came over the other day and found the dealer here in IL did a wheel swap and the car actually had snow tires on it. Unreal. He didnt even notice. Its been in the shop prob 20 of the last 30 days of owning it to fix paint and body problems. Also after bringing it up to sales in Westmont, they let him keep the snow tires and put the oem michelins on for N/C. He also got a free wall charger for all of his issues. Saved a bunch of money but hardly worth the hassle if you ask me. Of course the sales team said car was mint cond before shipping, HA

I would go see it personally. My friend just did this with a performance model and car had numerous issues.
Front end scraped, underbody shields broken. Car was in CA and shipped here to IL. Came over the other day and found the dealer here in IL did a wheel swap and the car actually had snow tires on it. Unreal. He didnt even notice. Its been in the shop prob 20 of the last 30 days of owning it to fix paint and body problems. Also after bringing it up to sales in Westmont, they let him keep the snow tires and put the oem michelins on for N/C. He also got a free wall charger for all of his issues. Saved a bunch of money but hardly worth the hassle if you ask me. Of course the sales team said car was mint cond before shipping, HA

Hear, Hear!

My brand new 3 was in the shop for 45 days... No guarantees a new one won't need work too. And that one was better than the first one they tried to sell me.

Yes best to go look at it before you sign anything.

Honestly even if its in your area, I highly doubt they would even let you go see it. They wouldnt even let me see/test drive or inspect my new car before actually signing paperwork. They keep the cars at a remote location so you purposely cannot see them in Westmont IL. It is quite a operation they have going on. I love the car but man what an experience. They march to a different kind of music at these places for sure.