Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing A Model 3 Performance From Inventory? Good Idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Friends!

First time poster, and first time owner (hopefully) of a Tesla. Extremely excited for it!

My delivery process has been somewhat disappointing. I made sure to order an AWD Long Range version just in time for the tax cut in July. Just yesterday (today was supposed to be my delivery date), I receive a call saying that the vehicle had arrived with significant paint damage, and can no longer be delivered. They told me they would assigning me a new VIN, and hopefully try to get me one before July 1st. Things is next week will be really tough for me to pick it up as I live an hour away.

Anyways, I asked if they have any other inventory models I could consider. They have a Performance model with about 2,300 miles in the exact same spec as my AWD, which was black paint, white interior, 19 inch wheels. They are willing to unlock the car (was actually not on sale) and discount around $2,000 - $2,500 off the price. The difference would be around $6,000ish.

Would you consider the upgrade worth it for the 6K? I'm sure the AWD is fast enough for me, but I would never oppose to an even faster car. Secondly, are test drive vehicles usually in good shape? Are they a safe option? I'm sure most of you have much more experience with the subject, and would appreciate any help!

Thank you so much!

Do you have the option of drive before you buy?

When I test drove back in the day, the car I was in had a faulty indicator stalk.

I have purchased demo cars before, but not Tesla’s. They have all been 6000 miles, and working great. So I would recommend seriously considering the option if they can price it the way you are comfortable. The nice thing about demo cars is they have been in the hands of employees who could see if there were any issues. Or potential customers who were being picky about problems. Hopefully any problems have been addressed if there were any as a result.

I bought a performance (new) and have enjoyed the hell out of it. Back before the added extra power and features. The car has only improved since.

Good luck with your decision, I hope I could shed some light on things though not directly answering your question 100%

Performance actually comes with 20" wheels, lowered suspension (about 1 cm), two piece brake rotors and red calipers, metal accelerator/brake pedals, and spoiler.

The 0-60 time is about a second faster, but everything else is going to be the same.

If you feel the above options are worth $6k more in purchase price but guaranteed $1875 more in tax credit, go for it. Otherwise wait for the car you want and enjoy it.

Lastly, the test drive cars are usually in good shape, might have slight small paint defects (swirls or slight clear coat damage from washings) and general wear from a few people getting in/out of it. If there are major defects you can have them addressed in a due bill and hopefully they will make things right.

A car becomes used the second you drive it off the lot, so I guess it matters more if you think $6k/2300 miles = $0.38/mile depreciation is a fair calculation. I have a MR car and would love the additional performance from a P3D, but at the time I bought the delta was almost $20k so not worth it. Mine was brand new with 3 miles on the odo which was nice, but I would have been tempted to upgrade if the price difference was less.

Hi Friends!

First time poster, and first time owner (hopefully) of a Tesla. Extremely excited for it!

My delivery process has been somewhat disappointing. I made sure to order an AWD Long Range version just in time for the tax cut in July. Just yesterday (today was supposed to be my delivery date), I receive a call saying that the vehicle had arrived with significant paint damage, and can no longer be delivered. They told me they would assigning me a new VIN, and hopefully try to get me one before July 1st. Things is next week will be really tough for me to pick it up as I live an hour away.

Anyways, I asked if they have any other inventory models I could consider. They have a Performance model with about 2,300 miles in the exact same spec as my AWD, which was black paint, white interior, 19 inch wheels. They are willing to unlock the car (was actually not on sale) and discount around $2,000 - $2,500 off the price. The difference would be around $6,000ish.

Would you consider the upgrade worth it for the 6K? I'm sure the AWD is fast enough for me, but I would never oppose to an even faster car. Secondly, are test drive vehicles usually in good shape? Are they a safe option? I'm sure most of you have much more experience with the subject, and would appreciate any help!

Thank you so much!

No (in my opinion), as it's most likely a 2018 and probably has 2300 "hard" miles on it.

Reactions: mswlogo
No (in my opinion), as it's most likely a 2018 and probably has 2300 "hard" miles on it.

Hi Friends!

Thank you so much!
I'd do it. 2300 miles is nothing!

Reactions: RScottyL
I would definitely say $6000 for a Performance is worth it. I mean, I thought $10K was worth it. :)

As for the specific test drive car, you'll have to look at it to know whether it's in good shape. Presumably it is -- they'd want to put their best foot forward -- but not guaranteed. The one we test drove had a flickering problem on the screen. The sales person said "oh, if we had more time I'd do a hard reboot and that would fix it." That had the sound of sales-person-BS, though it could have been true. But when they offered me that car instead of waiting for the new one I ordered, I declined.

Reactions: WilliamG
I would definitely say $6000 for a Performance is worth it. I mean, I thought $10K was worth it. :)

As for the specific test drive car, you'll have to look at it to know whether it's in good shape. Presumably it is -- they'd want to put their best foot forward -- but not guaranteed. The one we test drove had a flickering problem on the screen. The sales person said "oh, if we had more time I'd do a hard reboot and that would fix it." That had the sound of sales-person-BS, though it could have been true. But when they offered me that car instead of waiting for the new one I ordered, I declined.

I understand. The OP knew that going in and ordered an LR AWD anyways. Now, faced with the loss of ~$1850, the OP is contemplating spending $6000 more for a used car, that is last year's model (depreciation wise). To each their own - do whatever makes you happy!

Well, okay then. I just wouldn't want to pay $6000 more (than a new one that I really wanted) for a one year old car (2018) that was driven hard by many different people over the past year - just to avoid losing ~$1800 Federal Rebate. To each their own. Good luck and enjoy!
2018 isn't necessarily 1 year old.
2300 miles does not take long to accumulate so it might not be a 2018.
It's also significantly faster than the AWD.

Op should verify if it is HW2.5 or 3 if he cares though.

2018 isn't necessarily 1 year old.
2300 miles does not take long to accumulate so it might not be a 2018.

Op should verify if it is HW2.5 or 3 if he cares though.

A bank, or any valuation service (e.g., KBB), would disagree with you (if it were a 2018)… I agree, best to ask the dealer what year it is. I bring this up as I was just offered something similar and I asked - turns out it was a 2018, so I passed. Still waiting for my LR AWD.

A bank, or any valuation service (e.g., KBB), would disagree with you...
My friend bought his Performance car in february, it's also a 2018 model since tesla does not do model years, his was built in December. Model year is just manufacture date for tesla and that needs to be taken into consideration. For instance you can't just buy a 2019 model 3 and expect to have hardware 3.

My friend bought his Performance car in february, it's also a 2018 model since tesla does not do model years, his was built in December. Model year is just manufacture date for tesla and that needs to be taken into consideration. For instance you can't just buy a 2019 model 3 and expect to have hardware 3.

When you eventually try to turn the car back to Tesla (for a different one), or trade it to a regular dealer/sell it privately, the VIN will drive a 2018 model year. Just put your Telsa's VIN into KBB and you'll see - The year is tied to the VIN, and hence the valuation will reflect that. Re your last statement - I just ordered (on 6/16) and AWD LR with white interior and Full self driving. I confirmed the computer will be a HW3, and not the 2.5 (a 2.5 car would have to be taken back for upgrade when Tesla starts it's retrofit program - whenever that may start). A 2018 will have HW2.5. How do I know? I asked that question when the dealer tried to sell me a 2018 60 minutes ago. I passed...

Last edited:
Next question is: Does the used Performance 3 have the badge and spoiler installed? People who purchase their M3P are still waiting for their badge / spoiler to be installed. Then again it is your decision, be happy with your purchase is what really matters. My 2cent is AWD 0-60 4.4 VS Performance 0-60 3.2 :D

Next question is: Does the used Performance 3 have the badge and spoiler installed? People who purchase their M3P are still waiting for their badge / spoiler to be installed. Then again it is your decision, be happy with your purchase is what really matters. My 2cent is AWD 0-60 4.4 VS Performance 0-60 3.2 :D

Recent software update brought LR AWD times down to 4sec and change, per recent professional reports/reviews.

From Motortrend and there are others - "All-wheel drive was once seen as dead weight in a sports car, but today we recognize it as a necessary traction enhancement on the dragstrip, especially for heavier cars. Nothing demonstrates that new reality like a Tesla. This 4,062-pound Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor hit 60 mph in just 4.0 seconds and passed the quarter-mile finish line in 12.5 seconds at 113.1 mph, all with only 346 hp and 376 lb-ft of torque."