Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Puyallup to Seaside OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not so much a trip report, but a charging report.

Destination: Rivertides Suites, Seaside OR, about 160 miles. Contact with the hotel revealed the only outdoor outlet was right by the front entrance. Being familiar with the property, it was clear that using that 120 volt outlet would require an extension cord across a walkway - probably not a good ides. There are no public charging facilities in Seaside; there is a CHAdeMO and J1772 in Cannon Beach, about 9 miles down the road.

I wanted some "running around" miles availabel at Seaside, so I planned on lunch and 50 Amp charging at the Artic Pub and RV Park on highway 101. For the return trip, I made a non-refundable deposit at the Cannon Beach Sea Ranch RV Park, planning to leave the car overnight the night before the return trip.

Thursday had us arriving at Artic 30 minutes before the pub opened for lunch, and we were doing quite well with range, predicting Seaside arrival with 80 or 90 miles on the clock. Not wanting to sit around Artic for 30 minutes waiting for the pub to open, we passed it by. Arrived at Seaside with 85 miles available - that is what happens when you drive the speed limit.

Managed to snag the ADA parking slot closest to the front entrance. Thought about trying the extension cord bit, but one of the friends I was meeting asked why didn't I use the outlet "up there"? Golly, gee, there it was, a 120 volt outlet up on the support pillar next to the car. Perfect - no extension cord, and absolutely no trip hazard. Turned out we didn't need the car for the three days and nights we were there, so we left Sunday morning with 268 miles available. Sad to forfeit the $43 deposit at Cannon Beach, but using that would have been rather inconvenient.

One of my friends suggested we check to see if the outlet in use and the front door outlet might be on different circuits. An extension cord and a volt meter I always carry, showed 208 volts between hots - three phase power. Eureka! Next year, a quick 240 box, duct tape to cover the walk way extension cord, and charging at 208 volts, 12 Amps. Eureka, that is, until we both realized that both circuits were GFCI protected - no go for the quick 240 box.

It's not in yet, but I'll be putting an outdoor 14-50 on my get-away house in Seaside, OR. Once it's in later this summer (the service to my home is so old, I need to upgrade the panel and meter) I'll put out a post and let people know opnce it's up and going. Walking distance to downtown and 1/2 block from the Prom. Sorry it wasn't up now--there is 120v if you need...

It's not in yet, but I'll be putting an outdoor 14-50 on my get-away house in Seaside, OR. Once it's in later this summer (the service to my home is so old, I need to upgrade the panel and meter) I'll put out a post and let people know opnce it's up and going. Walking distance to downtown and 1/2 block from the Prom. Sorry it wasn't up now--there is 120v if you need...
That is good to hear, and will be most helpful for travelers to Seaside. The Supercharger at Centralia will also be a great help.

The Circle Creek RV park just north of town only has 120 volt 30 Amp hook-ups (meaning 20 Amp to the Tesla), and will not bend on their three day minimum.

This would be most awesome! I hope to take delivery by the end of this month and my first road trip will be towards the end of the summer to Seaside. Surprising that there aren't any public stations even in Seaside.

Great news !!! Please be sure to add it to the various EV plug maps.

http://www.plugshare.com/