Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PV not turning on during outage, PW <90%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the middle of an outage that has lasted over 5 hours. The PW kicked in fine, and, as it's the middle of the day, I expected the PV to startup when the PW dropped below 95%. This was what happened during my outage test just after the install. But now the PW is below 85% and the PV still hasn't come on. The AC frequency continues to report at just over 63 Hz. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2024-01-16 at 1.45.14 PM.png

Do you have a phone app and away from the gateway what is it showing. Picture looks like logged into Gateway.

How much max power can the PV produce? 63Hz is enough to keep panels off and it is curious how much house is using that is not reflected coming from PW..

I'm pretty sure that was just a reporting lag anamoly. It didn't stay like that for more than a few seconds. below is an earlier shot.

I just got off the phone w/Tesla support and they said it "normal" behavior for the PW to drop below 75% before activating the PV. I haven't seen that in anyone's experience that I have read. 95% seems to be the norm. When I asked what would determine whether it drops to 95 or 75 and she said it's probably because my installer rated my system at 8 kW. This makes no sense to me, as it's going to be the same regardless of how much charge the PW has. Also, that system is actually only 5.5 kW rating, it rarely gets above 4 kW, especially during this time of year, and the power outage started at about 9 AM and it's been on/off rainy/cloudy. So, why would the PW expect more than 5 kW net?

BTW-power came back on about half an hour ago and PV got activated.

Screen Shot 2024-01-16 at 12.47.08 PM.png

I’m have same experience.
PW at 87%.
Grid Down.
No PV.
sun will set before PW reaches 75% so won’t know if PV will kick on at 75%.
Is this normal or should PV kick on to charge PW back to 90% or 95%?

1710191284672.png