Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PW2 - No recent data available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it happens periodically....maybe once or twice a day for me. usually doesn't last more than a few minutes, but sometimes as long as an hour or so. at least that has been my experience. if you are not already aware of it, you can connect directly to the controller in the PW via it's own wifi network. if you get in close proximity to the Powerwall you'll be able to see it as a wifi option on your phone, tablet, or PC. you connect using your system's serial # and can get realtime basic information on power flow and battery capacity through a browser. it's a nice backup for when the mobile app or connection to Tesla goes down.

I had this happen to me and here is my story of what resulted in 3 months downtime before getting it fixed.

I first called Tesla and they said they would create a ticket for 2nd level review. I told them that I think the Gateway has died. Two weeks later they called me back and said I needed a new Neurio and scheduled the install for 6 weeks later. After waiting 6 weeks the service tech installed the new neurio and it still didn't work. He said I needed a new gateway and I was scheduled for an install another 6 weeks later. New service tech shows up after the 6 week wait with no gateway and said he was just there to verify that I needed a new gateway. After testing he confirmed that i needed a new gateway. I told him I'm not waiting another 6 weeks.

He was actually a good guy and called the local warehouse to see if they had them in stock, which they did. He told me that he would be back out my way in a couple of days for another customer but he was willing to get up at 5am and come to my house before his appointment if I was ok with an early visit. I agreed. Over the next several days he texted me and said he was still waiting for the approval to take a gateway from stock in the warehouse instead of waiting for a new one to ship out. Finally on the morning of install he showed up and said they never gave him the approval but he went ahead and took one anyway. He told the warehouse manager that he was not going to show up another time without one.

So I really hope it's not your gateway. If it is, be persistent as the service tech told me that he has had to replace several gateways. In my case to speed things up he actually just swapped out the circuit boards inside the gateway and that seemed to do the trick.

• Informative
Reactions: gnumeric
My app has been down for a week now. Stating no recent data. Tried uninstalling the app, no dice, tried rebooting the gateway still no luck. Doesnt work on my wifes phone either (mines apple, hers is Android).

If it says "no recent data available" its likely not your app. The PW pushes its telemetry directly to Tesla's servers which then your app reads from.

Have you checked if it has access to your home or cell network?

I had this issue and it perplexed both me and Tesla Support for a couple of weeks. In my case it occurred because the clock on the Powerwall Gateway was incorrect by about 14 hours in the past.

The circumstances that led to this anomaly were obscure and of my own doing but may possibly be helpful.

1. Powerwall gateway got its IP address from a local network file server by DHCP.
2. DHCP also provided an NTP time server address to a local time server which then supplied the gateway with its date and time.
3. This time server was meant to be synced to an outside 'real' time source but this wasn't working and the time it was providing was 14 hours wrong.
4. The incorrect date/time on the gateway was not immediately obvious because the time shown on the gateway web page is that of the computer the browser is running on and NOT the actual gateway time.
5. The clue came from the time stamp on the 'meters' data from the gateway which was not aligned with any real time anywhere.
6. The 'meters' data was being sent to Tesla which took the time stamps at face value and just treated it as though there had been a long transmission delay of 14 hours, hence 'no recent data'.

Under normal circumstances the gateway should automatically identify an authoritative external time server and get the correct time so this would not happen.

In my case, correcting the time on the errant local NTP source fixed the problem.

If it says "no recent data available" its likely not your app. The PW pushes its telemetry directly to Tesla's servers which then your app reads from.

Have you checked if it has access to your home or cell network?

I had this error. Turned out that the Tesla gateway had dropped its connection to my router. I was able to log into the gateway and reset the connection to my router. Quite easily done in about 10 minutes. Instructions here:

Monitoring from Home | Tesla