Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PWS retrofit on pre-2023 Model 3 in NZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, has anyone paid for the retrofit PWS speaker and boombox activation?

I got a quote from Tesla to get this done and for the lols i’m happy to pay.

However they did caution that once it is fitted, the PWS noise cannot be changed or volume changed without a service visit. Also something about the horn now using the PWS instead so the horn sound will change.

Has anyone gotten this done and have any feedback to share? Good or bad!

Thanks

so just call up Tesla service and have it fitted?
we rarely honk anyway - so nice to speak up and have little fun (not sure what all could be done, but hoping it's Halloween ready).
Raise a service request for ‘something else’ and state that you want to retrofit the PWS.

The change in horn (eg fart) is only temporary while in P. It will default back to the normal horn spound when you are driving.

None of the other features work while the car is moving.

Reactions: Audietron
Yes i can talk via the app when sentry is on or via the boombox if i am in the car.

The sound is robotic if that is what you were asking. 🤖
as long as it's not saying "Hi This is Elonta, you naughty naughty onlooker, I am your ultimate nightmare staring at you thru camera..." I will take it.

PWS retrofit in pre-2023... means cars in NZ received now comes with PWS? waiting on my Model Y delivery.

Yes i can talk via the app when sentry is on or via the boombox if i am in the car.

The sound is robotic if that is what you were asking. 🤖
Yes, the voice change is ED-209 from robocop.

Bummer you have to be in car. In the US you can use the app to speak remotely via the car, while in sentry mode. it coverts your voice to ED-209

Last edited:
as long as it's not saying "Hi This is Elonta, you naughty naughty onlooker, I am your ultimate nightmare staring at you thru camera..." I will take it.

PWS retrofit in pre-2023... means cars in NZ received now comes with PWS? waiting on my Model Y delivery.

I was told that newer 2023 Model 3s already have the PWS installed and activated. No idea when the change was made though.

Unsure if this is also the case with Model Y, check with your adviser?

• Love
I'm looking at gettting the PWS fitted to mine. How are you finding it so far? I'm interested to know if it's audible inside the vehicle (with the windows up, obviously). I'm wondering if if might get annoying in slow crawl stop/start traffic situations.
I recently received my Model Y with PWS fitted... fun to play around with any sentry mode alerts... but there is major catch 22 there. keep volume up (remote talk is clear) or keep down (overall vehicle noise is lowered)

standard volume makes it sound like spaceship and quite noticeable even inside the car... my wife lost fancy of ability to talk remotely and already annoyed with it - as silence of Tesla was great.... now if we reduce the volume at service centre - talking remotely is going to be hardly audible... but it may reduce the overall sound effects... contemplating to reduce volume - not decided yet.

personally I would only retrofit or use if I can also adjust the volume.... sadly that capability is not there - or I am not aware of.

Reactions: Steve_Chch
I recently received my Model Y with PWS fitted... fun to play around with any sentry mode alerts... but there is major catch 22 there. keep volume up (remote talk is clear) or keep down (overall vehicle noise is lowered)

standard volume makes it sound like spaceship and quite noticeable even inside the car... my wife lost fancy of ability to talk remotely and already annoyed with it - as silence of Tesla was great.... now if we reduce the volume at service centre - talking remotely is going to be hardly audible... but it may reduce the overall sound effects... contemplating to reduce volume - not decided yet.

personally I would only retrofit or use if I can also adjust the volume.... sadly that capability is not there - or I am not aware of.
Food for thought, thank you. I prefer the silence myself but want to make things safer around the driveway, and I've found in a few car parks & parking buildings things can be a bit dicy at times with pedestrians.

The remote audio doesn't bother me too much so I wonder if a lower volume setting would be ok - I usually have music on but I know it'll annoy me if I can hear it inside during the drive home. It really is a shame it isn't user adjustable. I wonder if it's a software or hardware setting.
I might raise a service request and ask if there's a suitable setting that's inaudible inside, see what they say.