Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q2 2017 Delivery Estimates

What is your Estimate for Q2 2017 Deliveries

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
neroden - I am just saying that what we may experience are food lines, cities in an uproar and more similar things to Venezuela's current political and public condition "worldwide" once oil is noted to be running out. I don't think it works out well once world population reaches the 9+ Billion that is slated. The solution isn't entirely EVs and renewables - it is education and family planning through tougher stances on trying to share "what's left". Not many consumers know that oil has a finite life ahead. They should be told to do their part. For me, driving an EV and Solar PV, stopping at 2 kids and growing some food at home is a start. But only a start. How many world citizens are doing "at least" that? Now, my own cutting back of resources is quickly replaced by new families buying new homes and having their own kids and becoming heavier consumers of the energy and oil that I have stopped using. As a consensus, what's the point of conserving when someone else just starts using it? So, the mass consumer space is going to be full of "I want mine" (including China wanting a vast middle-class consumer base). Anyone recently see the picture of the 1600 new Coal-burning power plants coming worldwide? Our desire to cut CO2 might be to drive fewer ICE cars and burn more coal to power electric cars. Who knows. I know a guy here who got out of running a local green organization that had 40-60 at local meet-ups because he "gave up" on seeing any future possibility that it will do any good. With oil - we can support 11 Billion on the planet. Without oil? Your guess is as good as mine. We have 45 years or less at 100MMbpd against 1.5 Trillion bbl reserves. How many politicians are willing to run on a "let us cut, conserve and save" platform? No, "economy must be grown!" is their typical stance. As usual, I always say "The Amish are just waiting for us to implode - they'll be fine".

Check out growthbusters.org, steadstate.org and World Population Clock: 7.5 Billion People (2017) - Worldometers
The End Of Fossil Fuels - Our Green Energy - Ecotricity

Last edited:
neroden - I am just saying that what we may experience are food lines, cities in an uproar and more similar things to Venezuela's current political and public condition "worldwide" once oil is noted to be running out. I don't think it works out well once world population reaches the 9+ Billion that is slated. The solution isn't entirely EVs and renewables - it is education and family planning through tougher stances on trying to share "what's left". Not many consumers know that oil has a finite life ahead. They should be told to do their part. For me, driving an EV and Solar PV, stopping at 2 kids and growing some food at home is a start. But only a start. How many world citizens are doing "at least" that? Now, my own cutting back of resources is quickly replaced by new families buying new homes and having their own kids and becoming heavier consumers of the energy and oil that I have stopped using. As a consensus, what's the point of conserving when someone else just starts using it? So, the mass consumer space is going to be full of "I want mine" (including China wanting a vast middle-class consumer base). Anyone recently see the picture of the 1600 new Coal-burning power plants coming worldwide? Our desire to cut CO2 might be to drive fewer ICE cars and burn more coal to power electric cars. Who knows. I know a guy here who got out of running a local green organization that had 40-60 at local meet-ups because he "gave up" on seeing any future possibility that it will do any good. With oil - we can support 11 Billion on the planet. Without oil? Your guess is as good as mine. We have 45 years or less at 100MMbpd against 1.5 Trillion bbl reserves. How many politicians are willing to run on a "let us cut, conserve and save" platform? No, "economy must be grown!" is their typical stance. As usual, I always say "The Amish are just waiting for us to implode - they'll be fine".

Check out growthbusters.org, steadstate.org and World Population Clock: 7.5 Billion People (2017) - Worldometers
The End Of Fossil Fuels - Our Green Energy - Ecotricity
How is this relevant to this thread?

Reactions: dennis
A new supply vs demand constraint discussion. You might want to read jhm's shorting oil thread. His thesis is that oil demand is already peaking and will begin to fall the next few years. EV buses in China may have already peaked diesel demand globally. Tesla Semi may, if successful, have a bigger short term impact than Tesla auto.
You are rightfully concerned about how the world will gather itself for 10 or 11 billion people. The outcome will certainly have surprises for us all.

Keep up the good work. I appreciate your efforts and think you are a right fighter, in the good sense of the word. I've seen too much Pollyanna here lately and it is usually time for a fall. Hope it's not much farther personally, but I don't see new support until Q3 numbers or maybe great M3 press. Nice window for Elon-emies to spin up bad press, which seems busy bashing right now.

I think the discussion about Elon's showmanship is valid both ways. Without the hype, they never would have made it. Without a great product to go with the hype they would not have made it either. I'm ok with hype, as long as it's not just a cover up of complete bullony.

Sorry for on/off track response.

Reactions: neroden and dennis
I don't think it works out well once world population reaches the 9+ Billion that is slated. The solution isn't entirely EVs and renewables - it is education and family planning

Well, my primary charity is working on educating youth around the world about birth control even when their families, schools, and governments won't (for whatever reason). So we certainly have some points of agreement on *that*.

It's the most popular sex ed website in the world, so it's having a big impact, and it runs on a shoestring. If you appreciate my analysis, please do consider donating some money to Scarleteen.

Reactions: erthquake