Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q2 Collections - new owners thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're good scout BB; it's good to be prepared but, hopefully, the can will be part of your trade in package in three years.😀
@Wattsisname If you can remember Tesla delivered my car with a "Kerbed" wheel that suffered damage while being delivered.😭

I got the damaged wheel as way of compensation along with a £90 gift voucher for my troubles.

I have painted the said wheel and it's now in my garage with a brand new tyre fitted as a spare if I ever need one.

Here below is how it looked when it arrived.🤮

It looks like new again now.:cool:
Damaged Wheel-1.JPG

@Wattsisname If you can remember Tesla delivered my car with a "Kerbed" wheel that suffered damage while being delivered.😭

I got the damaged wheel as way of compensation along with a £90 gift voucher for my troubles.

I have painted the said wheel and it's now in my garage with a brand new tyre fitted as a spare if I ever need one.

Here below is how it looked when it arrived.🤮

It looks like new again now.:cool:
View attachment 833866I had quite forgotten that late night home delivery saga with three Tesla Tykes (🤔Yorkshire) gallantly exposing the offending driver.

What are your guys views on levels to charge at? I’ve got a nice commute that used c20% each way, so I happily charge. To just over 80% and then run down to about 3/4% before supercharging back up. Is there any practice reason why I shouldn’t do this? I.e. battery condition etc? (Company pays for Supercharging so no issue on £)
The recommendations from Tesla for anything other than the Standard Range Model 3 is to avoid charging over 90% unless you are about to make a long trip, and to avoid leaving the car after a journey with less than 20%. I would suggest you need to avoid getting quite so low before charging.

Your company pays for your commute? Hope the tax man knows about that.

Reactions: Wattsisname
The recommendations from Tesla for anything other than the Standard Range Model 3 is to avoid charging over 90% unless you are about to make a long trip, and to avoid leaving the car after a journey with less than 20%. I would suggest you need to avoid getting quite so low before charging.

Thanks Grilla, I may start topping up more often if that’s the case then!

On the tax, According to HMRC there is no PAYE or NI liability on the charging

Very happy, and I think I'll likely install more solar panels soon. One thing that took me by surprise is that the minimum power draw for the charger (due to the charging protocol that all EVs use) is 1.4KW. That's fine for the summer months - but get to autumn/winter/spring, and for a 4KW solar array, it's unlikely to be able to supply that very often. Certainly Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb will struggle to put any power into the car at all.
We moved from a house with a 4kW array to one with 8kW. Both only output 4kW from the inverter, but the big one gets there more often. However, winter months are still just double not a lot. In January we average 6kWh per day, with a handful of hours touching 3kW output. An Octopus overnight rate is the way to go.

Reactions: Davva

Also, if you can in anyway avoid so much Supercharging. Even a 13 amp outlet at work for the day would help.
Please excuse me if, by not backtracking this conversation, I am missing the obvious; eg maybe you are on the road all day not at the office.

Sorry guys if I have started a bit of a war… not my intention!

FWIW this is my take… I’m well aware of P11d implications of campany car fuel, I’ve been a Co car driver for 20 years. It does appear (a bit oddly I admit!) that HMRC does not classify electricity as fuel yet (I’m sure they will!) and following the link on the HMRC website about the company providing fuel benefit, it explicitly states that if the company pays for electricity this does not create a P11d implication. I’m sure that this is work in progress to change, but they will get there eventually! They just don’t want to be stung by inadvertent actions. IIRC there was a kerfuffel around used cooking oil, which if you put it into your diesel tank made it fuel and duty and VAT instantly became payable.

Sorry if I’ve caused a flame war ❤️

Reactions: Caramel
Damn - fixable? At least if you need a new tyre the other side will still have the same tread depth…
I'm hoping so. Finding it difficult to find a garage that will look at it. Most say, they don't touch Tesla's. I'm booked into Halfords on Monday morning. They said they would take the wheel/tyre off and have a look 😒