Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q4 2019 Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone who took delivery in the last quarter of 2019 share a quick synopsis of their experience? Are the days of Tesla sending out cars from the factory with major QC issues over or are the nightmare stories still happening ? Another question I have is are people still signing paperwork and handing over money before they see their car?
I am always concerned with broad based generalizations. I took delivery of my Model 3 in early 2018. It was perfect. That isn't meant to imply Tesla hasn't had quality problems but many owners have not experienced major QC issues that you refer to. Hopefully my Model Y will be just as perfect:)

Can anyone who took delivery in the last quarter of 2019 share a quick synopsis of their experience? Are the days of Tesla sending out cars from the factory with major QC issues over or are the nightmare stories still happening ? Another question I have is are people still signing paperwork and handing over money before they see their car?

I ordered my Model 3LR AWD at noon on Saturday Dec 28 (picked on that showed in inventory at Fremont, for home delivery. I got a call around 4pm to set up the delivery, they apologized for not being able to be there that evening and we scheduled for noon the next day (Sunday Dec 29). I paid for it in full that evening.
Instead of showing up at noon, the delivery person called me and explained they were running late with detailing and final inspection at the factory, and he'd get to my house around 1:30. He did activate the car in my account so I could see it's state of charge, where it was, etc. He actually showed up around 2pm, was a nice kid (an undergrad Tesla intern from a school back east).
I looked over the car, everything looked good (and has stayed that way over my first 2 weeks and 750 miles of driving), I signed all the papers, and he took the keys to my trade-in and drove off.

This was by far the most painless car purchase I've gone thru, especially with a trade in. And delivering it to my house within 24 hours of the order was particularly nice. It helps to be near the factory, of course.

Wonder if customers would pay an extra $500 or so for "White Glove" delivery program.

Would include constant access to converse with a rep as many times as they wanted and get lots of updates on the delivery process. Get a chance to closely examine your car prior payment or acceptance. Be able to wander into the deliver center at any time and get your delivery done, etc.

Tesla does their "Going Dark" routine to make the delivery more efficient for them and keep the cost down. Wonder how many people would be willing to pay what it cost to get the additional hand holding and chit chat?
Since I get the white glove delivery for free at my local Ford and GMC dealers, no I would not pay extra.