Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q4 M3 deliveries with Tow Bar - problems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So collected M3 LR with tow bar option Saturday - no tow bar in the car.

Raised this with the people onsite and they said there was supply issue and they didn't have any, would be sent onwards, went to inspect the car etc etc - came back to sign and mentioned it was the only problem (aside grubby drivers seat that is likely from movement before collecition that day) and another rep said they had some and went to fetch it from out back.

Had call this morning to say "err, you know that tow bar we gave you, please don't use it there is a safety issue, service will be in touch", could not explain if it was the tow bar itself, the car (not had plastic panel of yet to check I have the receiver - was stormy at collection I did try but had no suitible coin/tool and left it so not to munge the fastner), or a combination of both.

Sounds like they have been taking all the towbars OUT of the cars before delivery?

Anyone else had this, anyone else order tow bar and not have it in the car when they collected this month?

Well, we have the tow bar (car delivered in June) and it works perfectly for carrying a bike rack. Not had any notifications from Tesla of any problems.

I'd take off the panel and check that the socket for the tow bar and the wiring that you've paid for are in place.

I collected my M3 on Saturday and Tow bar was missing from the car. The SA was surprised that it was missing and asked me to log it as missing on the app. I've done so and have a service booked on Thursday to sort this. No one has been in contact with me so far to let me know if I'll be getting one on Thursday or not

Reactions: TallPaul
I collected my M3 on Saturday and Tow bar was missing from the car. The SA was surprised that it was missing and asked me to log it as missing on the app. I've done so and have a service booked on Thursday to sort this. No one has been in contact with me so far to let me know if I'll be getting one on Thursday or not
Thanks, I am also thinking log something in the app, they did originally tell me the service centre would be in touch as they were short of parts, but I did wonder if a bad batch of tow bars.

I did “like” your post but clearly I don’t like your post! At least I am not alone any more!

• Funny
Reactions: BlueM3SR
Have Tesla changed the towbar they fit? My 2019 M3 has a Westfalia towbar which is a well established system. Surprising if Westfalia have supplied a dodgy batch.
It’s a Westfalia one, I am wondering if it’s on the car end, or there is a software issue or something else? As usual the person calling was vague and it was hard to tell if they were elusive or just none the wiser!

Thanks, I am also thinking log something in the app, they did originally tell me the service centre would be in touch as they were short of parts, but I did wonder if a bad batch of tow bars.

I did “like” your post but clearly I don’t like your post! At least I am not alone any more!

Glad I'm not the only one too. I thought they just forgot to put it in the car, given that most cars don't come with tow bars.

Where did you collect your car? Mine was from Thorpe park.

Presumably it is only the removable hitch rather than the fixed towbar that is not being supplied.
I am only aware of one hitch for Model 3, which is the Witter sourced removable one?
towbar.jpg towbar2.jpg
Glad I'm not the only one too. I thought they just forgot to put it in the car, given that most cars don't come with tow bars.

Where did you collect your car? Mine was from Thorpe park.
Southampton, I am wondering now if they were taking them OUT of the car - you will probably know more first if your booked for mobile service tomorrow!

EDIT: Are you booked mobile service, or having to go service centre? I just logged in the app and it only listed me going to them, booked in 2 weeks to see if I can get some info out of them in the interim, or they tell you tomorrow what's up @BlueM3SR

Last edited:
I will ask them tomorrow how come it was not there so we both have clarity.

I'm off to a service centre to get it sorted even though the SA at collection told me that they will call me to change it to a mobile service but no calls yet.

I got a call from Tesla this afternoon and the lady I spoke too said she can't see Tow hitch on my order. Apparently the delivery and sales systems are separate and don't see my invoice. I sent her my invoice as proof of order for the tow hitch and she'll let me know once it is available.

I checked underneath the car and seems that the contraption for the tow hitch is installed

That seems unlikely? Tesla-info pulls all that spec from the system and the VIN surely Tesla can too!

I also have the sub-frame and the 13pin electrical connection, its all well tucked away so good for not catchng it on something but not soo good for crawling in a puddle to connect it!

Ok not sure how BlueM3SR got on, but I got a reply from Tesla by email:
A batch of tow bars have been sent to our HQ in Amsterdam to be checked.
If they are OK to use we will notify customers.

Seems to imply it's the bar that's a concern... and they just need to send them out.

Ok not sure how BlueM3SR got on, but I got a reply from Tesla by email:

Seems to imply it's the bar that's a concern... and they just need to send them out.

Hey, they told me to await next week to come for the service as I had a second issue to fix - a hole in the back seat. They ordered a new seat for me and would fit this once it arrives in the country. So still awaiting collection of the tow bar which I hope will happen on the same day I get the back seats fixed.

Moderation comment - post moved and merged from Model 3 global subforum "Model 3 Delivered Yesterday - Tow Bar Missing"

I ordered a Model 3 a couple of months ago with the option of a tow hitch added. The car was delivered yesterday and although the fitment to receive a tow hitch & 13 pin socket have been fitted to the car the detachable tow hitch was not in the car. I phoned Tesla this morning and, after looking into it further, the customer service agent phoned me back to say the tow hitches have been returned to the factory and a replacement will be sent out "ASAP". She didn't know why they had been sent back to the factory, and neither could she give me any indication of how long it will take to get one delivered.

This is slightly annoying as I was supposed to pick up a new caravan this morning and now have no idea how long it will be until I can. Has anyone else experienced the same thing, and if so have you been given any idea of how long it will take to get resolved?

Last edited by a moderator:
(moderator note)

Moving post to the UK and Ireland subforum as model 3s in the US are not tow rated, and do not have a factory tow hitch option. You are likely to get better response in that subforum on this type of topic because of that fact.