Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you need to reinstall the reinforced bumper bar for an OEM Model Y tow hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla sent out a mobile Ranger today to install the factory tow hitch. It was the Rangers first install so after bolting on the tow bar he tried to place the reinforcement bar over the hitch but it did not fit.

The instructions on his laptop called for the reinforcement bar to be put back so he called Tesla Service and another tech said to leave it off.

Anyway, my question is, has anyone seen this installed before or do you know if the silver reinforced bar should be put back?

There are some videos of third-party tow hitches where the reinforce bar is left off, but then there are some that reuse it. The problem is I have not seen any install videos for the original factory tow hitch so any additional information would be appreciated!

I am including a photo of the original silver reinforcement bar, and also the black tow hitch.

Attachments

• 641D75A0-2DF9-4883-A4E1-8DF9B3BC72AB.jpeg
    641D75A0-2DF9-4883-A4E1-8DF9B3BC72AB.jpeg
    615.9 KB · Views: 999
  • 407CCD6C-1691-4F25-B905-558180C0E6E3.jpeg
    407CCD6C-1691-4F25-B905-558180C0E6E3.jpeg
    899.5 KB · Views: 325
As far as I know the Tesla-installed hitch receiver does not allow reinstalling the bumper bar. I know that the Torklift Ecohitch allows you to put the bumper bar back as part of the install, but other aftermarket ones do not allow it.

Reactions: vesder21
@jwb2781 I purchased a tow bar package from Tesla. If I remember correctly it was about $1300 (Dec 2022). Very happy with it and works great. I know there are cheaper options out there, but for me, in this case I chose Tesla since I was also looking for peace of mind.
Yes, the price of the hitch after delivery is $1300, but they are starting to charge a secondary retrofit labor cost of $165 bucks in addition to the $1300.

It’s literally is a second line item on my invoiced, called retrofit.

Reactions: jwb2781
Tesla sent out a mobile Ranger today to install the factory tow hitch. It was the Rangers first install so after bolting on the tow bar he tried to place the reinforcement bar over the hitch but it did not fit.

The instructions on his laptop called for the reinforcement bar to be put back so he called Tesla Service and another tech said to leave it off.

Anyway, my question is, has anyone seen this installed before or do you know if the silver reinforced bar should be put back?

There are some videos of third-party tow hitches where the reinforce bar is left off, but then there are some that reuse it. The problem is I have not seen any install videos for the original factory tow hitch so any additional information would be appreciated!

I am including a photo of the original silver reinforcement bar, and also the black tow hitch.
Do you remember if there’s additional bolts added with the oem telsa tow hitch or does the crash bumper bar bolts are just reused? Did you get pictures on where the trailer plug plugs into off the hitch?

Last edited:
Question for @vesder21 and others. On the bar that was left off, was there another piece that went on that conformed ore to the countours of the bumper or was this it?

Reason I ask is some MS owners put a Model X hitch on, but it requires a lot of cutting of the bumper reinforcement and if its safe to just eave it off, I'd prefer to do do. I know the hitch will provide plenty of strngth and protection, btu I didn't know if that bumper reinforcement served another function.

Thanks.

Yes, the price of the hitch after delivery is $1300, but they are starting to charge a secondary retrofit labor cost of $165 bucks in addition to the $1300.

Did you order it from a service center or in the Tesla app? I went to check out ordering it through the Tesla app and the only extra charge I got was the tax. I didn't see any retrofit charge. I was told the extra $300 is for the installation charge. I also have a '23 Y, so I'm wondering if that for the adapter to work for the 16v battery that we have. I know there were issues previously for people with the 16v battery.

IMG_3666.jpeg

Last edited:

Interesting. If I recall, it used to say the price included installation. Doesn't say that any longer. That's disappointing.

2 questions: For the factory bar install, do you recall if the tech needed any additional bolts or washers from what the crash bar uses? I ask because someone is selling a factory tow bar near me as-is and I want to determine if i need anything for install.

Also, how did the tech enable tow mode? Was it in the service menu or something they had to push remotely? TIA!