Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 M3P OEM Tow Bar retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Factory fit, type approved for towing 500kg. It's a P- tho, looks like an LR but with the magic red line on the emblem.

Don't think you can order them, but they show up in stock occasionally.

random question - your P with a factory tow bar, are you able to remove the tow cover and check if there is a crash beam that goes across the rear bumper. I'm thinking no as it wouldn't fit. if you're able to get a pic, that would be great!

Factory fit, type approved for towing 500kg. It's a P- tho, looks like an LR but with the magic red line on the emblem.

I know you are not, but don't undersell your Model Performance. What many may not appreciate is, your version was THE Performance Model but there was an optional (iirc ~£3700) Performance Upgrade Package (PUP) which Tesla ultimately (as they did with autopilot immediately prior to UK Model 3 launch) make standard fit then upped the price to (iirc more than) match.

To confuse matters, when this screenshot was taken in jul 2019, the long range AWD had temporarily been removed from sale, so only SR+ and Performance were available.

1685547307141.png 1685547221494.png

Reactions: Avendit
I know you are not, but don't undersell your Model Performance. What many may not appreciate is, your version was THE Performance Model but there was an optional (iirc ~£3700) Performance Upgrade Package (PUP) which Tesla ultimately (as they did with autopilot immediately prior to UK Model 3 launch) make standard fit then upped the price to (iirc more than) match.

To confuse matters, when this screenshot was taken in jul 2019, the long range AWD had temporarily been removed from sale, so only SR+ and Performance were available.

View attachment 942719 View attachment 942715

ah! that would explain that then - i dont know of anyone that has a 2021 M3P with a towbar.....i.e the cars without the chrome delete.

Out of curiosity what's behind all this can't tow with an aftermarket tow bar nonsense? If there's nothing missing structurally from the chassis and you can just bolt on the OEM tow bar parts, why can't you tow? Is it just a case of Tesla couldn't be bothered to do all the type approval paperwork?

Out of curiosity what's behind all this can't tow with an aftermarket tow bar nonsense? If there's nothing missing structurally from the chassis and you can just bolt on the OEM tow bar parts, why can't you tow? Is it just a case of Tesla couldn't be bothered to do all the type approval paperwork?
I think so, or didn't understand 'how it's done' on this side of the water and didn't take the 30s it needs to Google it.

No idea why they come from the factory with a 0kg rating. Really stupid. Might be related to tow not being available at launch here? Followed after about 6 months and 2 deliveries? But after doing type, maybe it's a big expensive hassle to go back and re-do.

At least they learned for the Y, might fix for Highland? And hopefully the compact/2.

It's not the legality or structure of the car I worry about - who ever has been stopped and asked to show the type approval while towing something reasonable? It's the insurance for the car and whatever you are towing in case of a claim that worries me, and that isn't wholly in your control.

I really wish I'd paid the extra for the tow hitch when I ordered the car but oh well.

I was just about to pull the trigger on roof bars because we want to start going on bike trips, but this has inspired me to install the tow hitch myself for the bike rack.

@majeric Did you say you were going to post a guide to fitting it all? And did you not need Tesla to do any software coding in the end or did you just not bother with having the right config?

Hi, I am leaving the country in 2 weeks and am looking to install a 0kg rated tow bar for a bike rack or platform. Can anyone suggest someone who can install it for me? I am in Oxfordshire but at this point will travel wherever required. Getting desperate! I figure I can install the tow bar Itself without any trouble, but I am loathe to try the electrics. Any assistance would be very gratefully received.

Thanks,

J

I thought he might have - but the fact that the person in the photos was wearing blue overalls made me wonder whether he got someone in to do it!

I am trying to figure out if I buy a kit (without the electrics) and manage to get the below parts from Tesla in time then the electrics will just be plug and play and I can do it myself....otherwise I will need someone else to install the electrics kit I can order along with the tow hitch.

ASY, TRAILER ECU,1112581-00-A x1
1​
30.63​
ASY,HARN,TRAILER JUMPER1446560-02-A x1
1​
25.38​

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have the wiring harness hanging by the rear bluetooth module you can plug things in yourself assuming you know how to remove the bumper safely and have the tow hitch receiver as well.

The only thing you can't do out of the box is actually use trailer mode until you change your gateway configuration. I went through some of that detail here: Does anything need to be changed software side to enable a DIY added OEM trailer wiring module for Model 3?
Wonderful, thank you. I will reread your post now I think it might be something I can do. Tesla have said they are going to get the parts in this week :). I have a 69 plate Tesla M3P with the tow hatch on the underside so I am assuming that I will have the wiring harness...hoping I am right!

Reactions: doats1
Wonderful, thank you. I will reread your post now I think it might be something I can do. Tesla have said they are going to get the parts in this week :). I have a 69 plate Tesla M3P with the tow hatch on the underside so I am assuming that I will have the wiring harness...hoping I am right!

That's odd. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that only cars with the factory towbar had the plastic hatch! I presume you've taken it off and had a good look? Is there a hole where the removable Westfalia towball fitting goes ... just on the off chance that you are already equipped!

That's odd. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that only cars with the factory towbar had the plastic hatch! I presume you've taken it off and had a good look? Is there a hole where the removable Westfalia towball fitting goes ... just on the off chance that you are already equipped!
I have definitely done that! Nothing there I am afraid. Hoping the hatch makes it more likely that the electrics will be there tho...

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
I have definitely done that! Nothing there I am afraid. Hoping the hatch makes it more likely that the electrics will be there tho...
The hatch started getting reported around time of second batch of UK Model 3 deliveries around Aug 2019. I think shortly after that every UK Model 3 had it, irrespective of tow option. The hatched version of rear aero shield is the only one listed in parts catalog. So it’s no indication of what lies behind it.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado