Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 M3P OEM Tow Bar retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy folks!
Not sure if this is the correct place to to post up the info. Basically, i'm going down the route of installing the tesla OEM tow bar on my M3P.
Yes - the m3 is not homologate, but I won't be using it for towing, just for a bike rack.

I've managed to source:
* m3 tow bar (used) - £90
* tesla bag and swan neck (new) - £90
I've ordered these parts from Tesla - seems pretty reasonable in terms of cost - £70 odd

Part NameQuantityPrice
ASY, TRAILER ECU,1112581-00-A x1
1​
30.63​
NUT HF M10 PC10.1047337-00-A x6
6​
2.4​
ASY,HARN,TRAILER JUMPER1446560-02-A x1
1​
25.38​
NUT HF M6X1 0 10 PTM ZNNI1116066-00-A x1
1​
NUT HF M5-0 8 10 G1009 B1453854-00-A x3
3​
BOLT SO M5-0 8X27 88 G1009 B MAT ADH1495257-00-A x6
6​
1.26​
71.604​

The only sticking point is that i need "someone" to enable trailer mode on my car after the above has been fitted. I dont have access to toolbox to do so
Anyone in the UK that is able to assist with this? Electrics will work fine for the bike rack regardless. It would be nice for the car to "know",

All of the above is dependent on the grey plug being behind the bumper. I've tried to take a look, but there simply isn't enough space to check without taking the bumper off.
This is the plug i'm talking about.
1679908748863.jpeg

Might be easier to attach to normal wiring like an ordinary tow bar install rather than trying to get official electrics/tow mode. Towing mode doesn’t bring anything to the party if you are not towing that I can see.

I would concentrate more on how the tow hitch attaches to the car. Unlike the Model Y, I think more is missing from the Model 3 structure than just swan neck and hitch which is why it had to be spec’d from the factory, and as an early adopter, entail the extra long wait for tow hitch cars.

as above i would imagine there is some form of framework over a non eqiupped tow car.

on a traditional aftermarket tow setup on other manufactuers there is normally a large metal framework that is bolted to the chassis.

this part:

Might be easier to attach to normal wiring like an ordinary tow bar install rather than trying to get official electrics/tow mode. Towing mode doesn’t bring anything to the party if you are not towing that I can see.

I would concentrate more on how the tow hitch attaches to the car. Unlike the Model Y, I think more is missing from the Model 3 structure than just swan neck and hitch which is why it had to be spec’d from the factory, and as an early adopter, entail the extra long wait for tow hitch cars.

"ordinary" wiring for the m3 is quite intrusive....you have to cut into the wiring loom, which, in turn would void warranty. not something i want to do.

Your second point doesn't make sense - the westfalia kit for the m3p is exactly the same as the tesla oem kit (i'm talking the swan neck and the hitch itself).

as above i would imagine there is some form of framework over a non eqiupped tow car.

on a traditional aftermarket tow setup on other manufactuers there is normally a large metal framework that is bolted to the chassis.

this part:

Correct!

This is needed and what I’ve bought already. :)
Hardware is the tow bar frame (which replaces the rear cross bar) and the tow swan neck.

Your second point doesn't make sense - the westfalia kit for the m3p is exactly the same as the tesla oem kit (i'm talking the swan neck and the hitch itself).

The Westfalia kit and the strengthening of the body shell on tow cars are different I believe. The reason why Model 3’s could not be retrofitted. This is built in to all Model Y, hence it could be fitted at service centre. As told by Tesla as an excuse for extended delivery times of early cars so may be bollox or only applicable to early cars such as ours.

I went aftermarket for my Towbar as Tesla are constantly out of stock, fitted it myself for a third of the price, i've towed my caravan a few times with no issues, it's just the rear USS (remember those) that go mad when i'm reversing. This is for MY though

You can get the aftermarket wiring kits separately on ebay

If you're not bothered about the rear USS then forget tow mode

The Westfalia kit and the strengthening of the body shell on tow cars are different I believe. The reason why Model 3’s could not be retrofitted. This is built in to all Model Y, hence it could be fitted at service centre. As told by Tesla as an excuse for extended delivery times of early cars so may be bollox or only applicable to early cars such as ours.

I see your point, but it comes back to my first post - if the grey plug is there for the module, the car should be able to have the tow bar fitted (again, not for towing, just for a bike rack).

I did find this - MoreTesla.com

I went aftermarket for my Towbar as Tesla are constantly out of stock, fitted it myself for a third of the price, i've towed my caravan a few times with no issues, it's just the rear USS (remember those) that go mad when i'm reversing. This is for MY though

You can get the aftermarket wiring kits separately on ebay

If you're not bothered about the rear USS then forget tow mode
i did look at after market wiring kits, but my concern is warranty and soldering into the harness.

I have USS, so might just live with the beeps for the moment.

Just to make this thread clearer.

I've already bought:
Tow cross beam 1137916-00-B
Tow Swan Neck.

Just waiting on Tesla to tell me when i can pick up the electrical parts.
It should all be plug and play........assuming i have the grey plug behind the bumper!

I understand that it would not have type approval and the insurers would have to be aware, but I wasn’t asking about any of that, just like the OP made it clear he didn’t want to actually tow with it.
I am interested in whether it is a feasible DIY proposition at reasonable cost and whether all the electrics work as they should after.

• Disagree
Reactions: pow216 and Mr H