Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality issues from last quarter rush

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’ve taken delivery on our second Model X. The first had a hood that was stamped out incorrectly. I could put my index finger in he gap on the driver side up to my middle index finger. Right side was fine.
They said they couldn’t fix.
New X was found in Seattle. This one has a rear window that sticks out almost half inch and a fan motor that revs like a jet engine.
I’m wondering if the rush to meet production goals hurt quality. Granted gaps and finishes have never been a strong suit

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
We’ve taken delivery on our second Model X. The first had a hood that was stamped out incorrectly. I could put my index finger in he gap on the driver side up to my middle index finger. Right side was fine.
New X was found in Seattle. This one has a rear window that sticks out almost half inch and a fan motor that revs like a jet engine.
I’m wondering if the rush to meet production goals hurt quality. Granted gaps and finishes have never been a strong suit

Attachments

• FCE19FEB-D9C1-4406-9EB3-B3799CF0B272.jpeg
    FCE19FEB-D9C1-4406-9EB3-B3799CF0B272.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 172
  • Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: cwerdna and P85_DA

Wow - I would have thought the cars delivered right before the end of the 2nd quarter (like mine was, but ZERO issues) would have all those sorts of problems. And you say, "Seattle," that's too close to home!

Wow - I would have thought the cars delivered right before the end of the 2nd quarter (like mine was, but ZERO issues) would have all those sorts of problems. And you say, "Seattle," that's too close to home!
Yes, and it sort of reminds me as to why I don't hit a fast food joint at rush hour. Sometimes the hamburger looks like a pancake :eek:

I had to refuse delivery of mine today. The passenger FWD wouldn’t open all of the way due to a bad sensor and there was a small dent in the drivers side FWD. The dent looked like a poor paintless dent repair job. I would have been OK if they had a paintless dent person finish fixing it, but when the person from the service department said the dent was “within spec”, I said forget it and told them to reorder a new one for me.

I’d love to see a “spec” that describes what size door ding dents are acceptable on a brand new car. Not a good first experience with Tesla. If the replacement vehicle has similar issues, I’m done and will go with a BMW X5 or MB GLS.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I had to refuse delivery of mine today. The passenger FWD wouldn’t open all of the way due to a bad sensor and there was a small dent in the drivers side FWD. The dent looked like a poor paintless dent repair job. I would have been OK if they had a paintless dent person finish fixing it, but when the person from the service department said the dent was “within spec”, I said forget it and told them to reorder a new one for me.

I’d love to see a “spec” that describes what size door ding dents are acceptable on a brand new car. Not a good first experience with Tesla. If the replacement vehicle has similar issues, I’m done and will go with a BMW X5 or MB GLS.

Sorry to hear of your experience. Here's to hoping your next M3 is to your liking.

My error, I stand corrected. For the price of a MX, I would expect perfection - not dents that "are within spec". That's local SC BS, I'm sure, and not a Tesla position (I hope). When you asked to see the spec, did the perp produce one?
I didn’t ask. I knew it was BS and didn’t want to waste any more time there. I had already waited over an hour past my scheduled appointment time for the car to even show up. I just told them to order another. I changed colors on the reorder so they don’t assign the same unit to my reservation

I didn’t ask. I knew it was BS and didn’t want to waste any more time there. I had already waited over an hour past my scheduled appointment time for the car to even show up. I just told them to order another. I changed colors on the reorder so they don’t assign the same unit to my reservation

Good call! Best of luck! Keep us posted! EDT (Estimated Delivery Time)?

The good news. They are rushing cars through in order to meet high demand.

The bad news: They are rushing cars through in order to meet high demand.

To add to this insightful and real analysis.

2015: They are rushing cars through to reach Elon Musk's stated production and delivery targets.

2016: They are rushing cars through to reach Elon Musk's stated production and delivery targets.

2017: They are rushing cars through to reach Elon Musk's stated production and delivery targets.

2018: They are rushing cars through to reach Elon Musk's stated production and delivery targets.

2019: They are rushing cars through to reach Elon Musk's stated production and delivery targets. Now starting GF3

2020: likely the same now with Y and GF3

2021: likely the same with Y and GF3

2022: likely the same now with GF4

I don't foresee Tesla not being in a rush any time soon. You'll always have imperfect Teslas if you look for imperfections.