Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

QubEV charging point

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Mcraciun
17th edition is £224.99
18th edition 6mA DC sensitive protective device is £299.99

what's the difference lol

If you’re supplying your own type b ev RCD then technically yes you could go with the cheaper one. Bear in mind some of the correct RCDs will cost similar money to this EVSE.

What sets my alarm bells ringing is the rotary switch on the side. This switch is only acceptable if you can run in on a 32A circuit otherwise you’ll just trip a lower rated circuit. This is mentioned in the manual. Most other chargers have the upper limit set as part of commissioning, a user shouldn’t be able to create a fault setting with an external switch.

The rotary switch looks like a standard 1/4” shaft, probably IP67 if installed correctly. I wouldn’t want it exposed to too much weather as the locknut and washer will likely corrode.

I welcome the competition, would love to do a teardown to see how it stacks up. This device is unlikely to qualify for the charger grant.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidmc
Depends on a lot of things unfortunately, main one being your existing wiring and consumer fuse board status

Old board with wire for fuses = loads
New board with dual RCD or all RCBOs and a 80-100amp main fuse = a lot less.

This is what I have

Attachments

• 392CC2D4-7348-413C-AC20-E7E75C723833.jpeg
    392CC2D4-7348-413C-AC20-E7E75C723833.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 263
The main fuse is next to the meter, but looking at your consumer unit you have 100A main breaker so guess you’re on 100A..

Is that a doorbell transformer? Nice, not seen one of those before.

You’ll need the correct EV type b rcd, or get a charger with built-in DC protection as the rcd you have is the normal AC rcd.