Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about earlier performance models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a used 2019 model 3 performance earlier this year that the owner had put 19" wheels on (I think I remember he mentioning that) but has red brake calipers but no spoiler. I read somewhere that the brakes and spoiler were kinda the big difference between stealth and not. Anybody know for sure?

If this is actually performance brakes won't the rotors be thinner and the 18&19" wheels have a wrong fitment? Albeit like 4-5 mm

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230619-114218.png
    Screenshot_20230619-114218.png
    122.9 KB · Views: 98
Model 3 Performance vehicles didnt come from the factory with spoilers until mid 2019. All the ones sold before that had the spoiler in the description but it wasnt available, and was installed later.

If its a 2019 vehicle its entire possible that it came as a performance with performance package, and the owner simply got aftermarket 19s that fit.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Upvote 0
Model 3 Performance vehicles didnt come from the factory with spoilers until mid 2019. All the ones sold before that had the spoiler in the description but it wasnt available, and was installed later.

If its a 2019 vehicle its entire possible that it came as a performance with performance package, and the owner simply got aftermarket 19s that fit.
It's warranty for basic coverage ends in August, could that still be the case?

Upvote 0
I bought a used 2019 model 3 performance earlier this year that the owner had put 19" wheels on (I think I remember he mentioning that) but has red brake calipers but no spoiler. I read somewhere that the brakes and spoiler were kinda the big difference between stealth and not. Anybody know for sure?

If this is actually performance brakes won't the rotors be thinner and the 18&19" wheels have a wrong fitment? Albeit like 4-5 mm
The only real way to tell if it's a P is on the screen with the VIN and milage listed. If I says dual motor and it's underlined in red, it's a P.
Back then there was also a "stealth" P that was basically the LRAWD with the P motors and power. No red brakes, spoiler, or suspension. It came with the 18" rims and tires.

Upvote 0
The only real way to tell if it's a P is on the screen with the VIN and milage listed. If I says dual motor and it's underlined in red, it's a P.
Back then there was also a "stealth" P that was basically the LRAWD with the P motors and power. No red brakes, spoiler, or suspension. It came with the 18" rims and tires.

The P motors are identical to the LR motors. The difference is all software. There is no physical differences between a LRAWD car and a stealth P. (well possibly one small one, some stealth P's have red underline badges)

• Disagree
Reactions: gearchruncher
Upvote 0
Could you option the performance with out the performance upgrade package but still specifically only get the red brakes and the 19's? He also gave the car with the 18s that he said he bought from Tesla for winter setup.

I have the red line, red brakes, no spoiler, not sure about about suspension. I'm mainly confused with the mishmash of what would be specifically performance upgrade stuff and not. I also don't have the rear dual motor badge for what it's worth but he could have just debadged that.

Upvote 0
The P motors are identical to the LR motors. The difference is all software. There is no physical differences between a LRAWD car and a stealth P.

Thats not entirely true. Tesla introduced a 990 motor for the model 3 long range, while the 980 is for the Performance. All performance model 3s use the 980, but not all model 3 Long range have that motor, so it is not accurate to say there is no physical difference. For some cars thats true and for some it isnt.

In any case, This OPs question is about performance brakes which doesnt have to do with this motor difference, and it would not be strange to see a model 3 with performance brakes but no spoiler.

Upvote 0
Telsa didn't make the dual motor underline badges until deep into 2019 either. Lots of the early cars with no spoiler had no badge, and they were generally offered as retrofits at the same time once they were in stock. Lots of early owners sold the spoilers instead of having them installed as well, as they were worth a pretty penny back in the day, and some owners prefer the debadged look and never installed the badge.

There has never been a way to buy a red brake caliper package with 19" wheels direct from Tesla. They all came with 20's. But the 19" wheels fit just fine, so not surprising someone would have put 19"s on as they are in many ways superior to the 20's which are all about looks. 19's often have all season tires on them, vs the 20's which were summer only tires.

If you have the red line and red calipers, 99% chance it was a full performance car from the factory, and nothing is unusual about a missing spoiler or badges. Someone just swapped the wheels at some point.

Upvote 0
Thats not entirely true. Tesla introduced a 990 motor for the model 3 long range, while the 980 is for the Performance. All performance model 3s use the 980, but not all model 3 Long range have that motor, so it is not accurate to say there is no physical difference. For some cars thats true and for some it isnt.

In any case, This OPs question is about performance brakes which doesnt have to do with this motor difference, and it would not be strange to see a model 3 with performance brakes but no spoiler.

I was specifically talking about the pre 2021 refresh model 3 trims which are the only years that hand stealth performance models. I should have been more clear.

I agree on that it would not be unlikely to see a performance model with the PUP without the spoiler if the owner didn't follow up with Tesla to get it installed.

Upvote 0