Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about stereo system in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know M3 long range has excellent stereo system while M3 SR+ has very bad one.
Is MY long range stereo equivalent to M3 long range ?

I currently own a M3 SR+ and the stereo is far from bad. It is an excellent stereo if you like and appreciate accurate music. If you like the Ambient sound setting, then the Premium stereo definitely has a better one and the Premium also has a subwoofer (and more speakers), but the bass with the subwoofer can be overpowering, unless you lower it considerably on the EQ (from my experience). The non-Premium stereo in the SR+ is excellent and one of the best I've heard, with very full sound, it just doesn't have the same overly powerful low end that the Premium system do. Both are excellent IMHO.

Reactions: Pilot1226
I think the genre of music plays a big part as well. I listen to an array of music.

Overall, the sound system in the MY is one of the best, a big part is the sound processing behind it all along with acoustic and placement.

There is literally a sound bar along the whole dash!

However, i am curious as to how it stacks up against the best from B&O, H.Kardon, etc..

It would be nice if someone can compare it to other luxury cars.
Model 3/y sound is good maybe great, but compared to higher end luxury systems its not as rich sounding. I think a lot of people think it's excellent cause they have never been in cars with fancy systems.

For me they are respectable, definitely not mind blowing. I've left the levels alone for the first month of use, will play with it eventually. They are borderline analytic in presentation, slight sibilance, I think a little mid boost will do well, but I just like mid centric sound. Bass at 0 is fine.

Reactions: vegas888
Model 3/y sound is good maybe great, but compared to higher end luxury systems its not as rich sounding. I think a lot of people think it's excellent cause they have never been in cars with fancy systems.

For me they are respectable, definitely not mind blowing. I've left the levels alone for the first month of use, will play with it eventually. They are borderline analytic in presentation, slight sibilance, I think a little mid boost will do well, but I just like mid centric sound. Bass at 0 is fine.

is this for M3 SR+ ?

I think the sound in my Y is at least as good as, and in fact probably better than, the harmon kardon upgraded sound in my traded in X3 (which I thought was better than the Bose sound of my Audi A6 before that, which I thought was better than the Bose sound of my Infiniti G37 before that), but sound is very much a matter of opinion rather than fact obviously. I don't think it's likely as good as say a B&W system in a Volvo (which I've heard on a test drive and I think costs 3500) or some similar 3K-5K system in high-end lux cars, but I think it's very very good and diminishing returns mean that as long as your intent is to enjoy the music itself rather than worry about it, you'll be good. If you want to invest 3K+ in a good home stereo, you will get much better sound than any car can deliver due to the difference in environment (noise around the car when you drive ultimately is going to hurt fidelity way more), but that's just my opinion.

In short, I doubt many people that own the 3 or Y are significantly disappointed by its stereo. The software is also good (not necessarily the surround option, which I don't think does much and could even make the sound worse with extra processing, but it has a nice easy to use 5 band equalizer which lets you easily customize the sound to your taste -- not every car has this, many just have a simple bass/treble adjustment).

Last edited:
I hope that future updates would include even more extensive sound processing option other than just "immersive" levels..

That way we can really fine tune it to our likings.

I think that's one of the best parts of owning a Tesla...ICE cars and non-Tesla EVs, typically, are stuck with whatever they ship with. Just the idea that it's a possibility is so great!

I think the MY sound system is really good. I noticed the other day while watching TV (via Plex) that it supports surround sound. I guess I should have expected that but it's nice to know it's supported.

As for the sound quality...that's going to vary by everyone's own ears and the source they are using. I would say anyone who is trying to critically gauge the quality needs to start with an uncompressed audio source, like FLAC, first and then move onto the lower bitrate, higher compressed sources (streaming audio, HD radio, and MP3).

I went from a 2013 BMW 6 Series fully loaded and this MY sound system is far superior. I've had bimmers my whole life and none have had the quality this has.
I went from a 2015 X6 with the Harmon Kardon system in it and I agree with you. The MY sounds way better. I’m still getting used to the interface though. I think that needs some work.