Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about stereo system in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noob question. There’s only one audio option in the MY, correct? Did the M3 have different audio options at time of order? Can you upgrade the audio on an M3 OTA? I’d happily pay for an upgraded audio system, if available, but no don’t recall ever seeing an option.

Noob question. There’s only one audio option in the MY, correct? Did the M3 have different audio options at time of order? Can you upgrade the audio on an M3 OTA? I’d happily pay for an upgraded audio system, if available, but no don’t recall ever seeing an option.

The model 3 sr + is missing the sub and the atmospheric speakers. The model y doesn’t offer an sr+ version. The awd and performance trims have the same speaker package in both cars. Yah can’t ota upgrade sr cars because they don’t have the speakers. You can however, upgrade your car. Thats what i did.

Here is link to get you started.

The model 3 sr + is missing the sub and the atmospheric speakers. The model y doesn’t offer an sr+ version. The awd and performance trims have the same speaker package in both cars. Yah can’t ota upgrade sr cars because they don’t have the speakers. You can however, upgrade your car. Thats what i did.

Here is link to get you started.
I don't want to trade in my Y! (The link you sent was for a trade-in). I've always upgraded speakers in my cars in the past. I doubt I'll need to with the MY but curious what others have done, or what easy upgrades there might be.

I don't want to trade in my Y! (The link you sent was for a trade-in). I've always upgraded speakers in my cars in the past. I doubt I'll need to with the MY but curious what others have done, or what easy upgrades there might be.
I think your best bet might be to search the Model 3 forums. Lots of folks have upgraded the SR+ setup and I'm sure that similar upgrades are possible even with the premium in the LR.

I haven't taken delivery of my MYP yet, but the sound system MYP that I took for an overnight test drive seemed a tad lackluster compared the the B&O in my current Audi S3. Bass was especially missing. I'm curious if anyone has installed a small powered sub under the front seats.

I haven't taken delivery of my MYP yet, but the sound system MYP that I took for an overnight test drive seemed a tad lackluster compared the the B&O in my current Audi S3. Bass was especially missing. I'm curious if anyone has installed a small powered sub under the front seats.

@TwelveVoltMan there actually is a sub already, on the right-hand side of the hatch, behind the panel. I believe it's a ported 8" DVC 2x80watt/4ohm coils. I agree to some extent about missing bass, but mostly in the bass-guitar/mid-bass frequencies; the lower kick frequencies are actually too boomy, at least with the near-V shape EQ I've been using so far. I'm going to have to try to experiment more with the EQ curve, as I think the system is probably capable of better than I've been hearing so far.

Ya, bass is pretty dang good in the car (without turning things into a rattle bucket... which unfortunately it already kind of is with Tesla build quality).

You might need to adjust the EQ just a little (not maxing everything but just a couple points up on specific bands) and move the balance just a little rearward. I do notice you need the audio fairly loud to get a lot of bass, 50% to 75% on the volume slider. Depending on the music if you have it too frontward you might be too loud to increase the volume enough for the bass to really come through.

In regard to speaker upgrades. You can swap out the individual speakers for "higher" quality ones, but I'm not sure how much of a difference there really will be. Some might notice, but it might also be the effect of paying $1500+ for "better" speakers.

When going from an SR+ to a full premium audio system, you can make it work, but you might not have the full control over the balance or immersive audio feature that the full premium Tesla package has since you're just splicing wires to add extra speakers, etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
You might need to adjust the EQ just a little (not maxing everything but just a couple points up on specific bands) and move the balance just a little rearward. I do notice you need the audio fairly loud to get a lot of bass, 50% to 75% on the volume slider. Depending on the music if you have it too frontward you might be too loud to increase the volume enough for the bass to really come through.

Thanks for the suggestions, @acarney, I will definitely experiment with those settings.

Speaking of volume, am I hearing things, or does the MY automatically adjust volume based on moving or sitting still? I don't recall seeing a setting to turn that on or off (like most vehicles have), but I'd like to disable it if possible.

Thanks for the suggestions, @acarney, I will definitely experiment with those settings.

Speaking of volume, am I hearing things, or does the MY automatically adjust volume based on moving or sitting still? I don't recall seeing a setting to turn that on or off (like most vehicles have), but I'd like to disable it if possible.

I think it does adjust the volume based on speed or ambient noise or something... though maybe it's a very small adjustment and thus you don't really notice it most times, or that it's such a good adjustment that you don't notice it. I've only noticed it once or twice where I thought, "oh, it got a little louder."

You might also want to open your hatch while playing music one day, you should really be able to notice the bass coming from the rear there. To me it's balanced in normal situations (where as when you open the hatch it's not balanced and then bass heavy back there) which again might make it a little harder to notice because it doesn't stand out, it just feels "right."

I do wish the system overall had a bit more power. I'll find myself when on the highway turning it up to almost 75% volume to rock out and if you have the windows down at all when going 55mph+ you really turn the volume up a lot. I'm not used to a car that you can get above 75% without feeling like it's way too loud or without getting distortion from speakers. Really noticeable when listening to podcasts at speed.

• Helpful
I test drove a MYLR a few weeks ago (then promptly proceeded to order my own) and tested out the stereo. I have put an aftermarket stereo (speakers/sub/amps/DSP) in every ride over the last 20 years. This was the first car I told myself that I did not need to do anything! I was very impressed.

I streamed Spotify through my phone on the highest available setting - "Very High." I listen to a bunch of different genres, but in this case I was looking for a demonstration of bass since that is usually so lacking in OEM speakers that it prompts me to upgrade everything. So many choices, so settled on Parallel by Overwerk as a good quick test. Holy cow, the car hit! We will see how it goes when I play through other genres in my own car, but intial reaction was this was the best sound system I have heard in a vehicle. I have heard BMW, Audi B&O, etc. which are good, this sounded easily on par and/or better.

@TwelveVoltMan there actually is a sub already, on the right-hand side of the hatch, behind the panel. I believe it's a ported 8" DVC 2x80watt/4ohm coils. I agree to some extent about missing bass, but mostly in the bass-guitar/mid-bass frequencies; the lower kick frequencies are actually too boomy, at least with the near-V shape EQ I've been using so far. I'm going to have to try to experiment more with the EQ curve, as I think the system is probably capable of better than I've been hearing so far.
I was aware that Tesla had a sub in that location, it just didn't seem to be moving much air in my limited time listening to it. I'll do some searching for threads on Light Harmonic and see what the feedback has been. If anyone has experience with Light Harmonic (or other aftermarket speakers -- particularly subwoofers) in the Y, please share your experience. Meanwhile, I'll try to resist the urge to upgrade the speakers in a car I don't even own yet....

• Funny

The Y's system kicks the snot out of every OE Audi system I've heard short of the $6,300 B&O upgrade in the A8/S8. Even compared to that system it is just about as nice to listen to, but not as crisp.

The Y's system kicks the snot out of every OE Audi system I've heard short of the $6,300 B&O upgrade in the A8/S8. Even compared to that system it is just about as nice to listen to, but not as crisp.
Maybe someone in Freemont forgot to connect the sub in the MYP I test drove! I realize that audio preferences vary from person to person and I do not consider myself an audiophile, but objectively the sub in that particular MYP did not have nearly the kick that the 8" factory B&O sub in my S3 does (or the aftermarket powered sub in my Jeep JKU for that matter). Again, I have limited time in the MYP right now and hope that when I take delivery of mine I am pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Definitely love it.
The normal immersive sound turns on the speakers closest to the ears in the pillars and creates more clarity and richness

I got one of these and am debating on installing it to see if it would make the sound even better

let us know. 800 bucks isn’t that bad if it makes a noticeable difference

• Disagree
Reactions: Demonofelru
I was aware that Tesla had a sub in that location, it just didn't seem to be moving much air in my limited time listening to it. I'll do some searching for threads on Light Harmonic and see what the feedback has been. If anyone has experience with Light Harmonic (or other aftermarket speakers -- particularly subwoofers) in the Y, please share your experience. Meanwhile, I'll try to resist the urge to upgrade the speakers in a car I don't even own yet....

the Tesla oem sub definitely hits. It’s not like two 12” or anything but it gets the job done. You can feel the bass....

• Disagree
Reactions: Demonofelru
Maybe someone in Freemont forgot to connect the sub in the MYP I test drove! I realize that audio preferences vary from person to person and I do not consider myself an audiophile, but objectively the sub in that particular MYP did not have nearly the kick that the 8" factory B&O sub in my S3 does (or the aftermarket powered sub in my Jeep JKU for that matter). Again, I have limited time in the MYP right now and hope that when I take delivery of mine I am pleasantly surprised.
Did you ever figure out the lack of bass in the MYP? I picked up an MY LR last week and compared to the 2018 LR M3, it quite lacking in lows. Just doesn’t sound as dynamic and full as well.

The M3 bass hits you hard in the front and the rear. Same songX same settings back to back.
I hope I don’t have a faulty amp as I hardly feel any bass on the MY vs the M3. Hmmm 🤔