Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about tire replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got Model Y a month ago (4k mileage. It was a demo) and got a nail on rear left tire.

Need to replace a tire... a question is that

1) Do I just get one tire for the damaged one since 3 other tires are almost brand new?
2) Some says I can just get two tires. If so, do I put new pair of tires on rear or front?
3) Since Model Y is AWD, is it okay to mismatch(same size but different manufacture) front and rear tires?

I guess a simple answer would be replacing 4 tires but I just do not want to waste them because they are too new to me..

Thank you

If the tire can't be plugged or patched due to the puncture being too close to the sidewall the tire must be replaced. It is best to replace with the same brand, model and size as the OE tire. If you measure the tread depth of the remaining rear tire, compare this with the tread depth of the tire when new (TireRack.com will have the manufacturer's specifications for the tire.)

With only 4k miles on the tires your tires may not show much wear. I.e. the OE 19" Continental Procontact RX tires come with a 9/32" tread depth. The 20" Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 M + S come with 8/32" tread depth when new. (Other brands, models of tire may have 10/32" when new.)

Using the 19" Continental Procontact RX tire as an example, if the tread depth of the remaining rear tire is still at 9/32" or between 8/32" and 9/32" then you should able to purchase just one tire. If the difference between the two tires is at or more than 2/32" you may need to purchase two tires for the rear. (In some cases the tire center may have the equipment needed to shave the new tire so the tread depth and circumference matches the opposite side tire.)

In general the two tires with the greatest amount of remaining tread should be installed at the rear of the vehicle.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jpfive
Upvote 0
#3 depends on how you drive, how the stability control is tuned, and what type of tires you are talking about... Generally, you don't want to mix categories of tires... For example, don't mix and match Grand Touring tires on one axle, and Ultra High Performance A/S on the other axle, etc... That can cause issues if you make an aggressive or emergency lane change/turn, becuase the two axles will have tires with different handling characteristics.

Upvote 0
A month old Model Y (4k mileage). Got a nail on Rear left tire. Not patchable. Need to be replaced.

According to Tesla maintenance team, tread depth on tires are..

Front (outer/middle/inner) 7/32 8/32 7/32
Rear (outer/middle/inner) 6/32 7/32 6/32

Tires are continental Procontact RX 255/45 R 19 104W M+S.

What would be the best action? One tire only? Two tires? or any other opinion?

Upvote 0