Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about Tow Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not tried using the tow hitch that came with my Model X (with tow package). At delivery, they gave me the tow hitch and what looks like a small wiring harness. I've watched the video about attaching the hitch, but I am wondering about the wiring. Is this something I need to get a service center to install? How does the wiring harness work?

Thanks!

The wiring harness is for attaching an aftermarket brake controller. If the trailer you're intending to pull doesn't have its own brakes, you don't have to worry about it. If it does, then you need to purchase a brake controller and install it. There are a few threads describing particular brands.

Interesting..
I just took delivery and asked the same question.
I was told is was for the brake and signal lights and you connect your own harness end to fit your trailer.
Now I'll have to check the manual.
The built in connector is a 7 pin. If your trailer is smaller (as mine is) it likely has a 4 pin (running, left, right, and ground/neutral; left and right at the same time is used for brake lights), and you will need an adapter like Amazon.com: Reese Towpower 74607 7-Way to 4-Way Flat Blade Wiring Adapter: Automotive

I'm a bit surprised the tech I talked to had it wrong. So much to learn on a new vehicle for these guys.
Suppose I should have opened the access panel under the Model X and had a look. The manual clearly shows the standard trailer connector.
I didn't think they made a flat 4 anymore. (no running lights ? )

I'm a bit surprised the tech I talked to had it wrong. So much to learn on a new vehicle for these guys.
Suppose I should have opened the access panel under the Model X and had a look. The manual clearly shows the standard trailer connector.
I didn't think they made a flat 4 anymore. (no running lights ? )
Flat 4 has running lights, but not separated brake and turn signals. If I'm braking and turn signal on, one side is on solid, and the other side is flashing on and off. Turn the signal off, and it just goes solid on.