Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about Xpel, "wrapped" edges, and installation expectations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have a few quick questions about Xpel Ultimate and what my expectations should be for a decent installation. I don't need or expect perfection, but I want to make sure I'm getting an installation that falls within the mainstream of a reasonably good expectation.

1) Which edges should be wrapped? For instance, say you get the front fenders done. Where the front fender panel ends and the driver door panel begins, should the that vertical fender edge be wrapped? Or does the tiny gap between the fender panel and the door panel make it difficult or impossible to wrap an edge like that, such that it is reasonable to have a visible Xpel edge/line at the edge of the fender?

2) For edges that are not wrapped, how good should the cut line/edge of the Xpel film be? Should it basically follow the edge of the car panel perfectly, or is a little bit of wavy-ness normal and acceptable?

3) Should there be any air bubbles or water bubbles under the installation? If so, should they all eventually disappear (and how long should it take?), or will even decent installations have some bubbles that remain?

4) Should there be any peeling at all, anywhere? For instance, is a tiny peeling edge at the corner of a door acceptable? Or a small amount of peeling where a wrapped edge has popped up a little bit? Or should there be no peeling, anywhere at all, no matter how minor?

Any answers greatly appreciated! I know these are installations done by humans, so they cannot be expected to be perfect. So I'm trying to find out what reasonable expectations are for a decent, competent Xpel Ultimate installation.

Thank you!

Hello,

I have a few quick questions about Xpel Ultimate and what my expectations should be for a decent installation. I don't need or expect perfection, but I want to make sure I'm getting an installation that falls within the mainstream of a reasonably good expectation.

1) Which edges should be wrapped? For instance, say you get the front fenders done. Where the front fender panel ends and the driver door panel begins, should the that vertical fender edge be wrapped? Or does the tiny gap between the fender panel and the door panel make it difficult or impossible to wrap an edge like that, such that it is reasonable to have a visible Xpel edge/line at the edge of the fender?

2) For edges that are not wrapped, how good should the cut line/edge of the Xpel film be? Should it basically follow the edge of the car panel perfectly, or is a little bit of wavy-ness normal and acceptable?

3) Should there be any air bubbles or water bubbles under the installation? If so, should they all eventually disappear (and how long should it take?), or will even decent installations have some bubbles that remain?

4) Should there be any peeling at all, anywhere? For instance, is a tiny peeling edge at the corner of a door acceptable? Or a small amount of peeling where a wrapped edge has popped up a little bit? Or should there be no peeling, anywhere at all, no matter how minor?

Any answers greatly appreciated! I know these are installations done by humans, so they cannot be expected to be perfect. So I'm trying to find out what reasonable expectations are for a decent, competent Xpel Ultimate installation.

Thank you!

Excellent questions. These are questions that set apart a full front quote a client gets that may range from $1000-$4000...big variance in cost, and also in end result as well.

A Fair price, IMHO, for a full front - Full hood, full fenders, front bumper, nosecone, headlights, fog lights, and mirrors should cost $1800-2500 when doing a pre-cut and around $3200-4000 for a full custom installation that does a paint correction prior to installation and a nano coating over the film post installation. This also assumes the industry leading films with excellent performance and warranty are used. ie. XPEL Ultimate or Suntek Topcoated

1. It comes down to what you've paid. The more edges you want wrapped, the more labor you're asking the installer. That time = $$. Typical pre-cuts DO NOT wrap ALL edges...the installer has the ability, depending on software he/she uses, to manipulate and extend edges. The area you mention, can be done on a pre-cut properly. Comes down to installer skill and extra time it takes to prep the edge, lay the film down around the edge, and properly seal film around the edge.

2. On straight lines, and I'm assuming you mean pre-cut installation since semi-custom or custom installs won't have edges, the line should be pretty straight. No waviness. Some areas around the bumper and lights are tricky, so leave some margin of error...installer is human, not a machine ;)

3. In an ideal installation, you shouldn't have air bubbles or moisture if you've laid the film down correctly and squeegeed properly. But, once again, humans involved and there will be some areas that have moisture or air pockets. Moisture bubbles are OK because most of the time, they evaporate and you should just leave them be. Air bubble on the other hand, is somewhat installer error, but should be caught during install or post inspection. Either can be fixed without too much trouble.

4. On a pre-cut, there shouldn't be any peeling as most of the stress has been alleviated since it is a pre-cut. On a semi-custom or custom installation, you may get some lifting, but it should be minor and trimmed away on a follow up. Peeling is a problem and should be addressed because it allows for future lifting, dirt accumulation, and potential de-lamination as you wash/wipe down that area when doing routine cleanings.

Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a thread on a project we did...this would be on the more OCD side of things and pushing the envelope, but meeting and exceeding client vision and expectations. The nice thing is, we can either scale up or scale back based on client needs/wants, but the integrity and attention to detail is the same on all levels of service here at GP

GP Automotive Renewal Service: P85+ Steel Grey - Clear bra/Tint/Nano/Matte Black Trim

Excellent questions. These are questions that set apart a full front quote a client gets that may range from $1000-$4000...big variance in cost, and also in end result as well.

[snip]

3. In an ideal installation, you shouldn't have air bubbles or moisture if you've laid the film down correctly and squeegeed properly. But, once again, humans involved and there will be some areas that have moisture or air pockets. Moisture bubbles are OK because most of the time, they evaporate and you should just leave them be. Air bubble on the other hand, is somewhat installer error, but should be caught during install or post inspection. Either can be fixed without too much trouble.

4. On a pre-cut, there shouldn't be any peeling as most of the stress has been alleviated since it is a pre-cut. On a semi-custom or custom installation, you may get some lifting, but it should be minor and trimmed away on a follow up. Peeling is a problem and should be addressed because it allows for future lifting, dirt accumulation, and potential de-lamination as you wash/wipe down that area when doing routine cleanings.

Thanks so much, very helpful. Just so I fully understand, bubbles can be fixed by the installer if necessary without, say, removing and reinstalling a new piece of film? How much time should you allow to pass before deciding that the bubbles need to be fixed and are not going away on their own? And regarding peeling, If you get a little peeling around tough corners or where a tiny part of a wrapped edge has popped up, it's normal for that to just be trimmed away on a follow-up without the need for installation of a new piece of Xpel?

Thanks again, very helpful to have your response.

Thanks so much, very helpful. Just so I fully understand, bubbles can be fixed by the installer if necessary without, say, removing and reinstalling a new piece of film? How much time should you allow to pass before deciding that the bubbles need to be fixed and are not going away on their own? And regarding peeling, If you get a little peeling around tough corners or where a tiny part of a wrapped edge has popped up, it's normal for that to just be trimmed away on a follow-up without the need for installation of a new piece of Xpel?

Very thorough response @MoeMisty, thank you!

Yes if moisture bubbles are left the installer can go back and use a syringe to remove excess moisture if needed. If the bubbles/moisture are not gone after a week or so, take it back to the installer to have a look at them.

If the film is peeling in a small area it can usually be fixed with minor trimming. Of course all of this is subject to where and how badly it is peeling or lifting, if any of this does happen take it to your installer and they should be able to take care of it. If for whatever reason it isn't remedied, you can always contact us so we can see what the best course of action would be.

If you've had the work done already, please post some photos of what you're referring to. Or just PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting photos and/or saying who did install.

If the installer is a reputable shop, he/she should address your concerns and you as a consumer should show him/her what areas you're not happy with. Give the shop an opportunity to fix the things you'd like addressed.

If you haven't done the installation already and are just trying to get educated, then I think if you choose the right shop, most of the concerns you have won't be an issue.

Before you read anything on this post know that it is coming from a very OCD individual when it comes to my nice things. I believe in paying for quality.

I've always been very willing to dedicate full research into products and services. Therefore, it was very important to scour the internet (forums) and product websites to forge a plan for the care for my brand new Tesla 85D (also fully researched prior to purchase). As expected it is very hard to sift through the various posts and vague expertise littered all over the place. In the end I found a resource in Adonis Detail owned by Tim Coats located in SoCal. Please let me tell you my experience......

First off, Tim at Adonis comes with extremely high marks from his previous customers. If he didn't have these I would have never called him. Via email (lightning fast response to my initial questions) Tim was very forthcoming about his process, prices and options with various products he offers. He is an expert installer of Xpel, SunTek and Modesta products I wanted to put on my new Obsidian Black beauty. So, we set up an appointment and I literally picked up my Tesla and drove it from Orange County to Tim's shop straight from the dealership. I wanted as little of the world brushing up against my car before getting it to Tim for protection. He loved this. As hard as it was to pick it up, only to drop it off to a detailer an hour later was a bit unsettling but here's how it went.

Tim is extremely personable and energetic. He greeted me as he was in the middle of working on two other high end vehicles. We started talking about the differences between Xpel vs. SunTek. Coincidentally, he was working on two high end vehicles (one was under the IR lamps) and I was able to see first hand the increased thickness and "orange peel" look of the Xpel vs the more natural looking SunTek application. This is DEFINITELY a personal choice issue as they are both exceptional products. The SunTek comes with half the warranty of Xpel but I thought the look of SunTek was worth it. I of course also asked my usual "now you are going to take of my baby, right?" questions and Tim understood and just kept gently reassuring me. Tim demonstrated in every way that he was as OCD about his work as anyone should expect - as if I was doing the work myself if you will. This was a late Wednesday afternoon and we decided on the New Tesla Front End Package with SunTek PPF, paint correction where needed, Modesta BC-04, and a scheduled time to have the calipers painted red with black Tesla OEM lettering. I gave Tim the little black Fob and off I went.

Throughout the process Tim kept me up to date on the progress. The next day, in a morning panic, I texted Tim about my worries regarding jacking the car up using the correct jackpoints. Tim assured me he was aware of this and that he wouldn't let anything but the right thing happen. Sure enough he sent me photos of the car up on floor jacks with hockey pucks in the exact right locations. Whew! These guys really are professionals!! The calipers were painted by Ron with Custom Calipers who mobilizes to Tim's location. He sent me pictures when they were done and OH MY GOD they are gorgeous! The next day he sent me photos of the custom wrap going on the mirrors, hood, and such. I noticed the the kid was working into the evening like an animal! Still full of energy big time. Two and half days later he informs me that I can pick the car up the next day which is a Sunday! Wow, I was kind of floored that it was done and ready to go so early.

Today I picked up the car and was absolutely blown away. Simply gorgeous and every detail was attended to. All edges wrapped so clean you couldn't tell if you tried. The color was perfect, the shine was glorious and had no light bursts like you get with inferior work. I imagine Tim gets to correct other shop's mistakes often.

In the end, there are many shops that offer detail services. You have ZERO worries taking your beautiful vehicles to Adonis for protection. Call him, trust him, and he will deliver. I am so happy that I did.

Do XPEL wraps come in colors or is it only clear?

They do! We have XPEL ULTIMATE Colour (Gloss Black, Matte Black, and Gloss White). It's our ULTIMATE film with automotive paint in the layers of the film. Its great for accent pieces such as hood, roof, and trunks. Its about 7.5 mils thick, and also self-healing. So swirl marks and fine scratches will self-heal with a little heat from the sun.

This was one of the first shops to install it, besides us. XPEL Clear Bra Blog Knox Details installs XPEL ULTIMATE Colour Paint Protection Film

- - - Updated - - -

Before you read anything on this post know that it is coming from a very OCD individual when it comes to my nice things. I believe in paying for quality.

I've always been very willing to dedicate full research into products and services. Therefore, it was very important to scour the internet (forums) and product websites to forge a plan for the care for my brand new Tesla 85D (also fully researched prior to purchase). As expected it is very hard to sift through the various posts and vague expertise littered all over the place. In the end I found a resource in Adonis Detail owned by Tim Coats located in SoCal. Please let me tell you my experience......

First off, Tim at Adonis comes with extremely high marks from his previous customers. If he didn't have these I would have never called him. Via email (lightning fast response to my initial questions) Tim was very forthcoming about his process, prices and options with various products he offers. He is an expert installer of Xpel, SunTek and Modesta products I wanted to put on my new Obsidian Black beauty. So, we set up an appointment and I literally picked up my Tesla and drove it from Orange County to Tim's shop straight from the dealership. I wanted as little of the world brushing up against my car before getting it to Tim for protection. He loved this. As hard as it was to pick it up, only to drop it off to a detailer an hour later was a bit unsettling but here's how it went.

Tim is extremely personable and energetic. He greeted me as he was in the middle of working on two other high end vehicles. We started talking about the differences between Xpel vs. SunTek. Coincidentally, he was working on two high end vehicles (one was under the IR lamps) and I was able to see first hand the increased thickness and "orange peel" look of the Xpel vs the more natural looking SunTek application. This is DEFINITELY a personal choice issue as they are both exceptional products. The SunTek comes with half the warranty of Xpel but I thought the look of SunTek was worth it. I of course also asked my usual "now you are going to take of my baby, right?" questions and Tim understood and just kept gently reassuring me. Tim demonstrated in every way that he was as OCD about his work as anyone should expect - as if I was doing the work myself if you will. This was a late Wednesday afternoon and we decided on the New Tesla Front End Package with SunTek PPF, paint correction where needed, Modesta BC-04, and a scheduled time to have the calipers painted red with black Tesla OEM lettering. I gave Tim the little black Fob and off I went.

Throughout the process Tim kept me up to date on the progress. The next day, in a morning panic, I texted Tim about my worries regarding jacking the car up using the correct jackpoints. Tim assured me he was aware of this and that he wouldn't let anything but the right thing happen. Sure enough he sent me photos of the car up on floor jacks with hockey pucks in the exact right locations. Whew! These guys really are professionals!! The calipers were painted by Ron with Custom Calipers who mobilizes to Tim's location. He sent me pictures when they were done and OH MY GOD they are gorgeous! The next day he sent me photos of the custom wrap going on the mirrors, hood, and such. I noticed the the kid was working into the evening like an animal! Still full of energy big time. Two and half days later he informs me that I can pick the car up the next day which is a Sunday! Wow, I was kind of floored that it was done and ready to go so early.

Today I picked up the car and was absolutely blown away. Simply gorgeous and every detail was attended to. All edges wrapped so clean you couldn't tell if you tried. The color was perfect, the shine was glorious and had no light bursts like you get with inferior work. I imagine Tim gets to correct other shop's mistakes often.

In the end, there are many shops that offer detail services. You have ZERO worries taking your beautiful vehicles to Adonis for protection. Call him, trust him, and he will deliver. I am so happy that I did.

Always great to hear a fabulous review about one of our installers. Adonis has done great work, thank you for sharing