Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for an engineer.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AZCT42, I like how you think outside the box. Sadly, trigonometry and practicality is kicking this idea to the circular file. But seriously, I appreciate your try as I think the length and size of the CT is going to cause many problems with the average garage.

Though I'm old school and was raised that a PU truck always stays outdoors (from living in Arizona), I'm at the stage of life I don't want any of my vehicles sitting outside during the night.

My hope is Elon and some engineers figure out they really need to make the length of a different model of the CT a little shorter so storing inside a garage will work for most everyone :)

Nope..it doesn't work. Proof of Concept: Use your phone and a business card. The card is the garage door. Place it behind the phone and start lifting the phone. As the rear bottom of the phone does indeed get shorter, at the same time the top of the phone pushes out further and smashes the garage door. Of course going to 90 degrees is viable if you have a really high garage and a death wish..

As the rear bottom of the phone does indeed get shorter, at the same time the top of the phone pushes out further and smashes the garage door.

If you're pulling in or out, the garage door would be open. As I demonstrated above, yes, the apparent length does get longer at first, but as the car inclines, it shortens. Then you'd close the garage door and jump down 3.5 feet to the floor. :)

Once again, it depends on how much it's tilted. If the incline is sufficient, it will occupy less length, but more height. But probably more height than a standard garage allows. Do people not understand basic geometry?

Just take your cell phone, place it lengthwise on the desk. Start tilting it up. The edge length of my phone is 16cm, and the diagonal length (corner to corner) is 17cm . So I only need to tip it up sufficiently so that the space occupied by the diagonal length (corner to corner) is less than 16cm. Using my phone, it's about a 45 degree incline, but the required height doubled, from about 8cm (flat) to 16cm (inclined).
Some of us don't understand geometry. I had to repeat it in high school. I'm ferociously allergic to everything having to do with that subject and math. (Once, I got a B in math, and to this day -- age 73 -- I have no idea how I did it).

• Funny
Reactions: AZjohnInCA
We still don’t know what the overall dimensions will be for the CT but I was thinking, could you build some type of safe, permanent ramp system for the trucks front tires that would allow the rear end to fit in a garage if it was close?

Basically you drive into your garage and towards where you would normally stop there would be a ramp. By driving up on to it, it will allow you to get more of the truck into the garage.

I’ve never heard of this and could be crazy. Was just thinking about it.
Only wimp trucks go into garages.

• Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
not going to work... you would need a very steep angle of incline, your garage height won't clear enough for the tail to be worth shortening... not to mention dangerous... just do yourself a favor and get a house with a bigger garage... its the most logical thing to do right?!? ;)

• Funny
Mine seems to fit ok.

tesla-fits.gif

Attachments

• tesla-fits.gif
    tesla-fits.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
We still don’t know what the overall dimensions will be for the CT but I was thinking, could you build some type of safe, permanent ramp system for the trucks front tires that would allow the rear end to fit in a garage if it was close?

Basically you drive into your garage and towards where you would normally stop there would be a ramp. By driving up on to it, it will allow you to get more of the truck into the garage.

I’ve never heard of this and could be crazy. Was just thinking about it.

Or dig a huge trench at the back of the garage :)

Its probably easier and maybe cheaper to just add another 4' of length to the garage. Depends which way the roof goes.

I actually had a contractor come out and it’s not that expensive. He would leave all the current weight bearing sections and basically use beams to create the “false” part of the garage.
We had an engineer review the plans and he saw no issue.

$4k all in.

My wife wants a bathroom/closet remodel and the way our closet is I can totally pick up the rest of space I need. However that will probably be $20k. If I get more room for the truck and she’s happy It’s a win/win. Just trying not to let her know the motivation!!

Not doing anything until I see final specs on CT.