Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for facelift S60-S60D owners charging to 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good day to all, I'm planning to order new S60 within a month.
I have a questions for owners of S60 or 60D, I'm planning to charge my car once a week to 100% every time (live in apartment building with no access to daily charging).
Question is: Some of you owned the car for 3 month + by now and been charging to 100%, do you guys see any "rated range degradation" from new to now? For example used to be 219 on 60D and no 217 and so on.

Any response with actual miles on Odometer and full charge at 100 would be helpful.
Thank you in advance for help to prospective owner.

No one has owned a software limited S60 or S60D for 3 months yet. The first deliveries were late June/early July.

However, I took delivery of mine July 8 and I charge it to 100% each and every day. I have experienced 0 degradation. I get 219.58 miles erry time.

No one has owned a software limited S60 or S60D for 3 months yet. The first deliveries were late June/early July.

However, I took delivery of mine July 8 and I charge it to 100% each and every day. I have experienced 0 degradation. I get 219.58 miles every time.

Thank you Mike for your reply. That is a very encouraging results for me. I'm looking forward to place my order for new S60 soon too :)

Good day to all, I'm planning to order new S60 within a month.
I have a questions for owners of S60 or 60D, I'm planning to charge my car once a week to 100% every time (live in apartment building with no access to daily charging).
Question is: Some of you owned the car for 3 month + by now and been charging to 100%, do you guys see any "rated range degradation" from new to now? For example used to be 219 on 60D and no 217 and so on.

Any response with actual miles on Odometer and full charge at 100 would be helpful.
Thank you in advance for help to prospective owner.
Dude! I also live in an apartment in San Francisco so I wans't the only one.
My apartment has level 2 EV charger that charges $1.50 per hour I will be receiving 60D in 2 days.

everyone has been getting different info but here is another pov, for what it is worth. my sales rep told me that he can't say for sure what charging to 100% would do. but if for some reason your battery has any issues or degradation, and the logs show that you have always been charging to 100%, you may have an issue w tesla.

so doesn't matter about the tech, but based on following their guidelines.

I was initially going to charge to 100% all the time but will do it only when I need it just to be safe.

I'm no chemist (but I stayed at a holiday in express last night), but it would seem to me that the limit placed on a 60 which is a true 75 almost certainly is at the "top end", meaning charging to 100% is actually charging your battery to 80% and therefore would cause no degradation. The only other way to limit the charge would be to disable 20% of the battery cells in the 75 to make it a 60, which is pretty harmful for those cells, and in which case the 100% charge would mean you are charging 80% of the battery to 100% charge. Since it is much more harmful to run a battery to 0 than it is to charge it to 100% I can't imagine Tesla is forcing you to have 20% of the total battery stay at 0% for as long as you own the car. It makes much more sense to have each cell charge to 80%, but label that as 100%. (sort of like Spinal Tap- ours goes to 11).

If that was too convoluted then I will summarize by coming out to agree that you can charge to 100% without any worries. Further, even if you had a 75 and charged it to 100% every single night I bet you wouldn't really notice any real degradation over a few years. If losing 5-10 miles on it is going to stress you out over the life of the car then maybe the best thing would be a prescription medication rather than a different means of charging :p:)

everyone has been getting different info but here is another pov, for what it is worth. my sales rep told me that he can't say for sure what charging to 100% would do. but if for some reason your battery has any issues or degradation, and the logs show that you have always been charging to 100%, you may have an issue w tesla.

so doesn't matter about the tech, but based on following their guidelines.

I was initially going to charge to 100% all the time but will do it only when I need it just to be safe.
Tend to agree with this, even though I'd bet the forum consensus about safely charging to 100% daily is accurate.

One may have issues if any premature degradation occurs, because: DS's are still advising not to full charge daily, the set charge rate still has notches for daily and trip charges, and the car, after charging a few times to 100%, throws a pop up stating that fully charging can lead to degradation (paraphrased) and leads you to the option of dialing down the charge percentage.

This doesn't effect me in the least as the daily charge is more than enough for what I'm doing, but I feel for folks that truly need the full charge daily and want to be entirely confident they aren't screwing anything up.

All the so far 'blunt' evidence we have points out to the new 60 pack being software limited at the top. We don't have precise measurements yet so we can't guarantee but I'mm 99% sure it is at the top end.

So you can safely charge to 100% daily but when Supercharging the taper is much later off and pack gets all the way to cells' top voltage of 4.2V and stops right at constant voltage of the charging session so you might not want to 100% supercharge everytime. You could though if you're doing roadtrips.

Trick is to make sure car doesn't spend too much time around the top voltages. Spending time in that range is what hurts the battery, and AC charge doesn't get it up to that level, only the supercharger. (My working theory, doesn't look like it will be disproven)

While all the information I have read convinces me that charging to 100% in a 60 is the same thing as charging to 80% in a 75, there is still the suggestion that optimum battery life is maintained if you only charge to 60%. So there might be some small advantage not taking the 60 to 100% all the time. If you're not going on a trip where you need the range, I think you'd do best to charge to 80% and plug in every night.

I'm no chemist (but I stayed at a holiday in express last night), but it would seem to me that the limit placed on a 60 which is a true 75 almost certainly is at the "top end", meaning charging to 100% is actually charging your battery to 80% and therefore would cause no degradation. The only other way to limit the charge would be to disable 20% of the battery cells in the 75 to make it a 60, which is pretty harmful for those cells, and in which case the 100% charge would mean you are charging 80% of the battery to 100% charge. Since it is much more harmful to run a battery to 0 than it is to charge it to 100% I can't imagine Tesla is forcing you to have 20% of the total battery stay at 0% for as long as you own the car. It makes much more sense to have each cell charge to 80%, but label that as 100%. (sort of like Spinal Tap- ours goes to 11).
It'd be interesting to know what Tesla provides as the user accessible voltage/capacity band/range on such software capacity limited cars via say TM-Spy (Using TM-Spy to see Model S data.).

(I've using Leaf Spy Pro on my Leaf for over year, which is similar and has been evolving for a long time.)

While all the information I have read convinces me that charging to 100% in a 60 is the same thing as charging to 80% in a 75, there is still the suggestion that optimum battery life is maintained if you only charge to 60%. So there might be some small advantage not taking the 60 to 100% all the time. If you're not going on a trip where you need the range, I think you'd do best to charge to 80% and plug in every night.
It's my understanding that for longevity, charging to 60% is marginally better than 80%. However using between 80% and 30% is much better than regularly using 60% to 10%. The best use would average 50% SOC, but averaging over is better than under.

This kills the "always plug in" Tesla recomendation. Sure I could set the charge to less than 80% but why bother plug in if I don't need the charge?
I am convinced the 60 is top limited, Ingeneer gave me some doubts but feel comfortable charging to 100% every day.
Now another issue is with a lease. Tesla may not be happy with a returned lease that always charged to 100%. They could blame some degradation on the leasee.