Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on A/C

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery in December and I have not used the A/C till this week. There is an odd vibrating noise/feel when I turn it on and I was wondering if this is normal? If I turn off the A/C and turn on again it stops, but if I let it go it does subside after 30-60 sec or so.

I took delivery in December and I have not used the A/C till this week. There is an odd vibrating noise/feel when I turn it on and I was wondering if this is normal? If I turn off the A/C and turn on again it stops, but if I let it go it does subside after 30-60 sec or so.

It is not normal. Other than hearing the fan, the A/C should be virtually silent.

Reactions: X-pilot

Doesn’t sound right. I can’t tell when it’s on or not.

Reactions: X-pilot
I did experience this in my Model S when it was supercharging. Although it doesn't have anything to do with A/C so you might have a different issue.. I got out of the car to see what was happening and realized it was the fans running on full blast to cool the battery. It's very loud (especially from the outside) but normal if your battery is hot.

I recently had a similar incident while supercharging at Gustine, CA. I start hearing very loud noise while increasing the speed of the fans. My guess it was cooling the battery as the temperature was 88'F

I recently had a similar incident while supercharging at Gustine, CA. I start hearing very loud noise while increasing the speed of the fans. My guess it was cooling the battery as the temperature was 88'F

The OP's question had nothing to do with charging. All X are very loud when charging. He was asking about running the air conditioning which is very close to silent.

Reactions: Ever34
Normal behaviour. The AC compressor can be a bit noisy when running at full speed/high load. If your car is very hot inside, the AC will run at full blast in the beginning to get the temperature down quickly, and then it will reduce the load on the compressor.

Normal behaviour. The AC compressor can be a bit noisy when running at full speed/high load. If your car is very hot inside, the AC will run at full blast in the beginning to get the temperature down quickly, and then it will reduce the load on the compressor.

So the loud noise is normal when its hot? I live in AZ and my X sound like it overheating or just die with how loud it is

Perfectly normal that it is a bit noisy in the beginning. The car has a variable speed AC compressor, so it can run at different speeds depending on load. And not like in an ICE car, or your home, where it only cycles between on and off.

You will experience the same noise and vibrations when using a Supercharger and the battery temperature is getting high.