Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

question on home wall connector and mobile connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully picking up a MYLR in December. I ordered in in early April before the mobile connector was excluded from the purchase price.

Can wall connectors be picked up upon delivery from the service center when getting the car? Reason for asking is because I heard that Tesla is giving a $250 credit to be used to purchase the mobile connector so I was wondering if that credit is active the day of delivery could I use it to purchase and take home that day the wall connector instead?

I had to order my wall connector (WC) from the website, I did not see any sitting around at the service centre (though i did not ask so they may have had some).

What happened for me was that I recieved an email link with a credit at the Tesla online store. I was allowed to apply it to anything so you could use it as a a credit for a WC or a mobile charger.

You may already have this planned out, but how were you going to charge the car when you get it home? I had my WC installed/inspected prior to delivery of my vehicle.

I had to order my wall connector (WC) from the website, I did not see any sitting around at the service centre (though i did not ask so they may have had some).

What happened for me was that I recieved an email link with a credit at the Tesla online store. I was allowed to apply it to anything so you could use it as a a credit for a WC or a mobile charger.

You may already have this planned out, but how were you going to charge the car when you get it home? I had my WC installed/inspected prior to delivery of my vehicle.
there's a super charger 1/2 mile from my house so thought if I could save $250 on the wall charger and get it relatively quick from car pick up, deal with charging nearby for a week or so. May not be worth the hassle but just thinking about options.

Reactions: Stirfry
there's a super charger 1/2 mile from my house so thought if I could save $250 on the wall charger and get it relatively quick from car pick up, deal with charging nearby for a week or so. May not be worth the hassle but just thinking about options.
Makes sense.

Just be aware of how long it could take to install the WC. Need to hire electrician, order materials, install, and inspection. You may be doing some/all of this on your own so maybe not too bad. I hired someone to do all mine and it took a few weeks from start to finish, mainly due to inspector availability.

Are you not going to get a mobile connector also? If you are going to get the mobile connector then you may as well just order the wall connector now and get it installed. Then use the coupon for the mobile connector once they give it to you.

I haven't heard of people buying wall connectors direct at the dealership.

Reactions: golfwolf
Are you not going to get a mobile connector also? If you are going to get the mobile connector then you may as well just order the wall connector now and get it installed. Then use the coupon for the mobile connector once they give it to you.

I haven't heard of people buying wall connectors direct at the dealership.
Yup... this is what I did.
Installed a wall connector a few months before delivery and then purchased a mobile connector using $200 discount code which made a mobile connector to be free.

Hopefully picking up a MYLR in December. I ordered in in early April before the mobile connector was excluded from the purchase price.

Can wall connectors be picked up upon delivery from the service center when getting the car? Reason for asking is because I heard that Tesla is giving a $250 credit to be used to purchase the mobile connector so I was wondering if that credit is active the day of delivery could I use it to purchase and take home that day the wall connector instead?
The mobile connector should be in the trunk - in a bag -

How long did it take to get the Mobile Connector once you ordered it? I ordered in February, just received the VIN a few days ago. I haven't received the email notification or the store credit email yet. My delivery window is Nov 29 - Dec 5. Just wondering how quickly they ship the connector and if it will arrive before my vehicle.

How long did it take to get the Mobile Connector once you ordered it? I ordered in February, just received the VIN a few days ago. I haven't received the email notification or the store credit email yet. My delivery window is Nov 29 - Dec 5. Just wondering how quickly they ship the connector and if it will arrive before my vehicle.
I think all depends. For me, it took almost 6 weeks to be delivered

I got a Vin on a Friday two weeks ago and wasn’t expecting it yet and had no charger at home. I ordered a mobile charger and a wall charger the same day. I got a shipping notice for the wall connector the following Tuesday to arrive Thursday. picked up the car on Wednesday and got the shipping notice for the mobile connector the same day and the mobile connector arrived Friday, a week after ordering it.

Mobile connector has been working alright for my needs (40 mile commute) as I can basically get the 12kwh recharged into the battery after using 12.5kwh each day with off peak charging at 10a from 9pm to 7am the next day.

I think I will try to wait to get the wall connector installed until after jan 1st for the tax credit on ev charger installation if it applies.

Mine was delivered within a week. Ymmv tho

Are they still doing the coupon for mobile connector in 2023?
Coupon is only given to people who ordered the car before April 29th 2022. I'm pretty sure all those people have their cars now unless they were able to put their order on hold. From Aug 15th built cars onwards Tesla started issuing coupons to people who ordered before April 29th instead of including it in the car. Remember back then it took 8-12 months to get the car so most April orders weren't fulfilled till November. Bonus for people like me who got the connector for free but got it via coupon is that Tesla now included the 14-50 in the Mobile connector kit where as before Aug 15th, people had to order that for additional cost if they needed it.

So no, you won't get a coupon. You must order it with the car and it usually won't ship till you get a VIN. Or order it after you get the car.

Reactions: WyoDude