Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on internet connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
Pardon my ignorance, but is it necessary to have internet connection at all times when driving?

Also, how does the mobile connection work? Does Tesla provide the connection, or do you have to buy a SIM for the S and pay s you would for a mobile phone?

TIA

Pardon my ignorance, but is it necessary to have internet connection at all times when driving?

No, according to my standpoint but Tesla still keeps it live just in case there's an airbag event, the operator would call you up to make sure you are ok.

...Also, how does the mobile connection work?

You can use wi-fi from home or from your mobile phone hotspot for your car instead of Tesla's internet.

...Does Tesla provide the connection...

Yes. Whether you pay for Tesla's connectivity or not, it still has basic connectivity to keep track of your car and for safety firmware updates.

...do you have to buy a SIM...

It's built-in from the factory.

Many thanks. I was concerned that for example the nav function needed a permanent mobile connection. There are huge areas of no wireless here in Australia, where 90% 0f the population lives in half a dozen cities.