Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on Tire replacement on 18"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two main questions:
1) are the foam inside tires just with 19", so repairs on 18" not an issue
2) I noticed in many tire threads just a few tires are serious discussed. When I go to Tirerack, they list quite a few other tires that seem to me Telsa 3 18" spec:
a) Continental DVs06 50K warranty on tread
b) Bridgestone Ptentnza 50K warranty on tread
c) Pirelli All season 50K warranty on tread

Any reason why these don't show up in the discussion?

This reply is a bit late, but may help someone else that comes across this thread.
There is foam inside the 18 inch tires as well. If you have a nail or some other foreign object puncturing the tire, a traditional patch may or may not work because the foam must be cut away from the damaged area to obtain a proper seal. This is why some tire shops refuse to patch stock Tesla tires. I just had my tire repaired by a Tesla Mobile Service truck and have included a photo of the repair.
tire_repaire_resized.jpg

In my opinion, any other tire that matches the size and load index would work, you can see the acoustic foam is about half an inch thick and not very dense, it is like foam that is used for packaging.

There are plenty of options but do make sure to respect the load rating, not just the dimensions. Our cars are heavy!
The OE tires are fairly silent. You'll need to evaluate what your criteria are if you shop for other models. Pick between comfort, noise, durability, price, handling performance in dry, wet, snow. Tip : you can't have them all :)

Edit: forgot rolling resistance, that's another factor. Difficult information to find.