TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Question on TPMS Reset vs Odometer/Energy graph

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Al Sherman, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

If I put the 21's back on after Winter, and I tell the TPMS reset screen that they're 21's (vs the 19" snow tires) does the whole car know that I have 21's? The Odometer? The Energy graph?

Or, do I need the Service Center to tell the Odometer functions that I have the 21's back on?

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

The 21" and 19" have roughly the same outer circumference, so no adjustment is needed for the odometer. (35 aspect 21" vs. 45 aspect 19")

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

True, but I wonder why the car needs to know that (in the TPMS settings) anyway. Don't the sensors just measure the pressure? Do the 19's use different pressure than the 21's? Both my summers and winters are 19".

4. FlasherZ

19's and 21's have different pressures on the door plates (although I run both at the same pressure anyway).

5. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Thanks Flasher. Do you run both at 45 or both at 42? Or, some other number?

6. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

I ran both at 3.1 atmospheres. The rating given by the manufacturer is the MINIMUM you should be running. The tires themselves have for example a max rating of 3.5. So instead of running 2.9 or 3.0 my tire shop put it at 3.1 to make sure that no matter how the temperature varied I'd have a decent pressure in all.

7. FlasherZ

I tend to run both at 48 (3.25 atmospheres).

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Ahhh... I never thought to look there. I just assumed it would only list the pressure for the 19" tires that came on my car.

9. FlasherZ

Sorry - clarification - it does list the pressures for the wheels your car was delivered with; I don't believe it lists both.