Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question regarding climate control Auto mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I just took delivery of my 2023 Model Y Long-Range a few days ago, and this being my first Tesla, I have a question regarding the Auto climate control setting. When I initially configured all the vehicle settings, I left the climate control in Auto and I noticed that this enabled the A/C (the button was blue). This is fine with me, since it enables the car to run the A/C as needed to maintain the temperature setpoint. When I checked the climate control settings again a few days later, however, I noticed that the A/C is now disabled (button is no longer blue) with the system still in Auto mode. I never changed the settings, so the system must have decided to turn the A/C off at some point, presumably due to the ambient conditions. (?)

Is this normal behavior with the climate control in Auto mode? I.e. the A/C can sometimes be on (blue) and sometimes off (grey) depending on the ambient conditions? By the way, it is Winter here and the temperature was around 23F when I noticed that the A/C is off. Does the system perhaps disable the A/C when it's below freezing?

To be clear, the system seems to be working fine and maintains the setpoint. I just want to verify whether the observed A/C button behavior is normal.

Thanks!