Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question to late 2017 and 2018 Model S owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all first post!

Like Mark_T I have been perusing the new UK inventory and am close to taking the plunge on a 75D. (Also confused by lease pricing between the 2 screens!). I have an extended test drive booked for next weekend.

Part of this decision over say, an i-Pace is that the Model S is now long in the production cycle and hopefully ironed out a lot of issues...

I can accept owning a Tesla may not always be a smooth ride but I was reading about the front air suspension problems listed elsewhere on the forum and was wondering whether all recent 2018 owners have had this problem or whether it is exception rather than the rule?

Reason I ask is I am wondering whether to delay purchase and order new build when this is resolved or go ahead and buy new inventory.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Twinsparks the best time to buy a tesla is now! that's what Elon said! not heard anything about suspension issues, I have a 2 year old model a with air and it's great. Remember Tesla makes 20 changes a week on the cars so the car you order gets better all the time. The Tesla service centers in UK are good and if you do have any issues will resolve it without any quibbles.

Don't forget to use a referral code for free supercharging for life! mine is Unlimited Tesla Supercharging and Extended Solar Warranty . I have PM'D you too.

Last edited:
By the way saw the iPace at the fullycharged show at silverstone yesterday, it was run by a diesel generator and 4 spotlights + keeping it charged! people were not amused. It's a pretty compact car and couldn't compare it with a model S definitely not the model x. Yes and ipace has no charging infrastructure which really is the life blood of owning an EV. The supercharger network is incredible and really allows seemless travel.

Agree with first reply - Best time is now. No car or model is perfect. I have a late 17 S75D with air and the issue. It is not as big of a deal as others have opined here IMHO. Especially since it goes away with music and/or speeds above 20mph. Happy to provide more details if wanted.

Agree with first reply - Best time is now. No car or model is perfect. I have a late 17 S75D with air and the issue. It is not as big of a deal as others have opined here IMHO. Especially since it goes away with music and/or speeds above 20mph. Happy to provide more details if wanted.

Thanks all, I agree no model is perfect. This will not stop me going with a Model S (I’m sold) just really if I wait a few months to potentially save the hassle of taking the car back to the SC. Would appreciate to hear your story Reachris re: air, if you have the time PM me.

Remember Tesla makes 20 changes a week on the cars so the car you order gets better all the time.

This is one of the few occasions where this isn't true :)

The pre-2016 cars don't have this issue, it seems to have been introduced along with a change in source for the struts.

I don't think it would stop me buying, but it has taken them well over a year of 'research' and still no confirmed solution, yet...

Yes and ipace has no charging infrastructure which really is the life blood of owning an EV. The supercharger network is incredible and really allows seemless travel.

The degree to which that is important does vary though.

Looking at my driving pattern, over the last 12 months there was only one weekend where I would have needed to charge away from home and on that trip even the Superchargers would have been inconveniently placed and little more help than the 50Kw chargers the Jag will be using at first.

I too would find it difficult to decide on an ipace vs tesla.
Reason I took the plunge on tesla was that I wanted to back Elon musks vision.if it wasn't for tesla the ipace wouldn't exist.
The supercharger network is great I've only used it for the 1st time recently for a 720 round trip and it was excellant.feels like VIP treatment when you park up to charge the car as no other makes allowed.plus it's FREE.

The autopilot system is also a plus for tesla as is the performance of the 75D 0-60 in 4 secs.

My car being a 67 plate came with coil suspension.i did think I'd been short changed a little but on the plus side I think it will be more reliable and cheaper to fix after warranty.

The degree to which that is important does vary though.

Looking at my driving pattern, over the last 12 months there was only one weekend where I would have needed to charge away from home and on that trip even the Superchargers would have been inconveniently placed and little more help than the 50Kw chargers the Jag will be using at first.

I agree with this 100%, in fact I'd go so far as saying that if you regularly need to do long trips (100+ miles each way) then a plug-in hybrid would likely be a better option at this point.

Don't get me won't, I love my Model S, but my daily commute is short and longer journeys few and far between so charging is largely a non-issue for me (I say largely only because getting my home charging sorted has been challenging to say the least).

It's not that the Model S can't do it, hell even a first gen Leaf can do it, but it will require planning, especially in winter as range does take a hit, and that's not everyone's thing.

Ph and FWIW, I have an mid 2017 Model S and I have the knocking noise.

Reactions: Mark_T
What separates Tesla from the rest is FAST easy superchargers ! I used my non - superchargeable roadster this w/e for a round trip, just out of its range (300m) and realised what a PIA public chargers are (slow, expensive, hard to find, blocked, hassle to pay for, app, card, membership, not working etc. )

I feel for future i-pace owners !

What separates Tesla from the rest is FAST easy superchargers !

... which for 98% of the time I had no use last year...

Tesla has to be better than just its Supercharger network, as although it is important for some customers it is not even a consideration for others.

The decision for me at least, is between the MS and the i-Pace.

Plus points for the MS:

Larger load space
The chance that the autopilot and other features will get better over time.
Slightly faster
Availability of larger battery (100 vs 90)
Cheaper finance
Mostly known issues due to production time span.
Available now.

Plus points for the iPace:
Shorter vehicle
Very low service costs vs MS
Better interior
Better instrument arrangements (inc. HUD, CarPlay etc.)
Better design for manufacture (and use of experienced car manufacturing facility)
Mild off-road capability (I do spend some time off tarmac)
Local parts supply chain.
Price (fully loaded it will be cheaper than the S75)

Still not an easy choice but it certainly isn't as simple as shouting 'Supercharger Network!' every time the comparison comes up...

Last edited:
Reactions: alloverx
That surprises me actually, when looked some weeks ago it seemed to be the opposite. Once I started adding all the extras, even just to get to the same base spec I was past the entry price for the MS.

If you go for minimum spec you may be right, but I'm comparing the specs I would actually purchase.

So for the S75, that includes metallic paint, premium upgrades, enhanced autopilot and premium interior for a total of £79,000 on a custom order.

For the i-Pace it is the First Edition plus metallic paint, less the recently confirmed EV grant for a total of £77,695.

Inventory versions of the S75 don't seem to have much, if any, discount on them right now, but the better interest rate on Tesla PCP plans lets the S75 sneak under the monthly cost of the i-Pace if that is your preferred way to purchase.

It is worth noting that the i-Pace First Edition model benefits from better residuals than you'll get by just adding selected options to the S/SE/HSE.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Mark it’s all about the charging network. I can hop into my model s and plan a trip on the whim with no plan and just use Superchargers all the way as per the route planner on the navigation. Another major factor is will ipace ever come out with built in hardware for full self driving which ever tesla built now comes with for free. At least this way you can activate down the line. If what Elon says is true you will be able to send your tesla out to work for you picking up people and making money during the dead 90% time it’s sat on your driveway. Tesla has a full circle approach to the solar, battery storage, and energy. When the faster Superchargers are launched this will take it to the next level. Having looked at the ipace on the weekend it looks like a nice car but it stops there it’s just a car and not an ecosystem like tesla.

... which for 98% of the time I had no use last year...

Tesla has to be better than just its Supercharger network, as although it is important for some customers it is not even a consideration for others.

The decision for me at least, is between the MS and the i-Pace.

Plus points for the MS:

Larger load space
The chance that the autopilot and other features will get better over time.
Slightly faster
Availability of larger battery (100 vs 90)
Cheaper finance
Mostly known issues due to production time span.
Available now.

Plus points for the iPace:
Shorter vehicle
Very low service costs vs MS
Better interior
Better instrument arrangements (inc. HUD, CarPlay etc.)
Better design for manufacture (and use of experienced car manufacturing facility)
Mild off-road capability (I do spend some time off tarmac)
Local parts supply chain.
Price (fully loaded it will be cheaper than the S75)

Still not an easy choice but it certainly isn't as simple as shouting 'Supercharger Network!' every time the comparison comes up...

I sat in the iPace on Saturday at the Fully Charged show. On first impression I didn't like the interior much, it felt cramped and I thought the over-sized buttons and dials were trying a bit too hard and took up a lot of space. They look like dust and grime magnets too. I have an X, which is much more roomy, but I'd still take the MS over the iPace unless I really needed the extra off-road ability - in which case I'd be back to the X anyway!

I have found the S All Wheel Drive pretty good off road on fields and muddy tracks. Its just a shame that when raised to its highest level the ride is so firm.

The i-Pace has had great reviews and I wonder if those who have never had the opportunity to use free and easy Supercharging will know what they are missing.

The i-Pace has had great reviews and I wonder if those who have never had the opportunity to use free and easy Supercharging will know what they are missing.

What I found interesting about nearly all iPace reviews is that they are mainly heaping praise on the fundamental advantages of an EV drivetrain over ICE equivalents, which applies equally to any Tesla! The instant torque/acceleration, regeneration braking, superior traction control etc. On the negative side the more objective reviews have also commented on the weight penalty and slightly jiggly ride quality you inevitably get with a big heavy battery and ultra-low profile tyres. If the iPace was an ICE or hybrid, I don't think the reviews would have been quite so positive. In other words it's the EV dna itself that makes it special and the same goes for a Tesla!

Reactions: Mark77a